Trent Dilfer Brett Favre who most reminds him of himself

North Buffalo

5 minutes ago, StHustle said:

Brett Favre mixed with Big Ben but when you add in the way he runs Josh is really one of a kind. Let's hope his durability compares to Favre's or even Big Ben's sans 2019.

It is true. I have never seen a QB run like Josh Allen. Lamar Jackson is the most special athlete I have ever seen play the Quarterback position, but his style, I have seen before. He is a better Michael Vick. Allen's running style it kinda reminds me of Eric Dickerson with that sort of upright style and the way he just runs over people.... but Dickerson is a HoF running back. Allen is a Quarterback. Unique. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 2

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

It is true. I have never seen a QB run like Josh Allen. Lamar Jackson is the most special athlete I have ever seen play the Quarterback position, but his style, I have seen before. He is a better Michael Vick. Allen's running style it kinda reminds me of Eric Dickerson with that sort of upright style and the way he just runs over people.... but Dickerson is a HoF running back. Allen is a Quarterback. Unique. 

Steve Young?

Edited by billsbackto81
  • Agree 2

There really isn't a historical comparison for Josh at this point. 

People have said Cam, but JA is a much better passer than even peak Cam. 

People have said Favre or Elway, but both are overrated and I believe Josh has better passing ability than either. And is clearly a better runner than either.

Steve Young is a decent mention but Allen is bigger, stronger.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

19 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Young was more of a finesse runner.  Josh is physical as *****, with a ridiculous stiff arm, and willingness to run guys over.  Actually reminds me of Jim Kelly, style-wise, although Kelly was not nearly the athlete Josh is.

Jimbo was the most awkward runner from the QB position I've ever seen. His best year rushing was 199 in 1986. Slow af, rumbling and stumbling. Plus he had the most cringe worthy slide in history. Wasn't really a slide, he would drop to his knees and fall forward. 😂

Like Young, Josh has finesse and quite a shifty runner for his size. I'm pretty sure Young never had any designed runs.  You're right about Josh and his physicality.  He's one tough SOB 💪

• Like (+1) 1

An interesting comp would be what everyone thought Vince Young was after his 2006 Rose Bowl performance vs USC.

Unstoppable at 6'5 232, good wheels, strong arm, powerful, accurate. 

Josh Allen is everything people thought Vince Young would be. There's no comp for him.

God we're lucky.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Ta111 said:

Difference is Josh can either run by you or over you. Young was good but never ran over people.

If I had to chime in I would also say that one of the things that really impresses me is how deceptive his speed is.  When watching him run, while it is impressive, it's his speed that really quite often turns into a difference maker.  I cannot for the life of me think of many runs where Josh does not reach the 1st down marker(or well beyond it).  It's like you blink your eyes and he's 20 yards down the field.   If you think about the fact that he still has significant room to improve as a runner, it's quite unnerving to be honest, in both a very good and very bad way.  The sky is virtually the limit with this kid.

All that said I do hold my breath every time he tucks it and takes off.  He has a knack for making defenses(individual players in particular) look very dumb oftentimes, and I fear for Josh's safety on a play-by-play basis.

25 minutes ago, smuvtalker said:

If I had to chime in I would also say that one of the things that really impresses me is how deceptive his speed is.  When watching him run, while it is impressive, it's his speed that really quite often turns into a difference maker.  I cannot for the life of me think of many runs where Josh does not reach the 1st down marker(or well beyond it).  It's like you blink your eyes and he's 20 yards down the field.   If you think about the fact that he still has significant room to improve as a runner, it's quite unnerving to be honest, in both a very good and very bad way.  The sky is virtually the limit with this kid.

All that said I do hold my breath every time he tucks it and takes off.  He has a knack for making defenses(individual players in particular) look very dumb oftentimes, and I fear for Josh's safety on a play-by-play basis.

That Bucs play where he ran for the first by the goal line had me worried. Was a pretty violent collision, but Josh popped right up. I agree though, the law of averages says he’s got a troubling hit on the horizon because of his playing style *knock on wood* Don’t know how you change that. I do see he doesn’t throw his body around when blocking for runners anymore.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.