Beasley flipping out at McDermott (at :41 of the 3rd quarter lower left screen on sideline)

BADOLBILZ

On 1/11/2022 at 8:17 AM, Toyo321 said:

If you did a line card of what each receiver brings to the table right now.  It would be heavily tilted in McKenzie's favor.

Speed                    >  McKenzie

Separation             >  McKenzie

Big play potential  >  McKenzie

Health?                  >  McKenzie

Clutch catches   = > McKenzie

Sweep Plays          > McKenzie

No offense to Cole, but right now, everything else being equal, McKenzie would be the better choice to roll with in the playoffs...

This is up for debate, but there are very few advantages of starting Cole over McKenzie against NE Saturday night.

Damn straight this is up for debate.

McKenzie has more speed.

Whether that leads to more separation depends upon whether it's man or zone coverage.  Man: McKenzie.  Zone: Beasley has a PhD in dissecting zone.  He is the zone Master.

McKenzie had a fantastic game against NE with many clutch catches, but has also alligator armed some.

Beasley has a 3 year history of clutch catches.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

On 1/11/2022 at 10:57 AM, Coach Tuesday said:

According to Football Outsiders, Beasley declined from 2020-2021 more than any other WR in the league.

“Biggest Decline: Cole Beasley, BUF
From humble slot receiver to … whatever he is now. Beasley caught exactly 82 balls in both 2020 and 2021, but his yardage fell from 967 to 693, his average gain from 11.8 to 8.5, his touchdowns from four to one, and his DYAR from 267 (12th) to -47 (86th).”

(Don’t bother the Truthers with facts, though…)

In order to tell if that's on Beasley, or on the routes he's being asked to run/depth of target, you (and Football outsiders) would need to take the rudimentary step of looking at Beasley's YBC and YAC.  If one does this, one observes that while his YAC has fallen by 0.6 yds/reception, that would only account for a 49 yd decrease in yardage.

Most of Beasley's yardage drop is accounted for by his YBC, which has plummeted from 7.5 to 4.7.  This would tend to indicate that the fall in yardage is due to the routes he's being asked to run/being targeted on and not necessarily a decline in his level of play

Don't bother yourself with facts when referencing "Truthers" though.

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

In order to tell if that's on Beasley, or on the routes he's being asked to run/depth of target, you (and Football outsiders) would need to take the rudimentary step of looking at Beasley's YBC and YAC.  If one does this, one observes that while his YAC has fallen by 0.6 yds/reception, that would only account for a 49 yd decrease in yardage.

Most of Beasley's yardage drop is accounted for by his YBC, which has plummeted from 7.5 to 4.7.  This would tend to indicate that the fall in yardage is due to the routes he's being asked to run/being targeted on and not necessarily a decline in his level of play

He's not running those deeper crossers (15-20 yards) he got open on frequently last year, though. He made a living doing that last year. This year he just looks a lot slower and less explosive.  

McDermott and the Coach Staff deserve Beasley yelling at them.

Its what you get for not cutting that guys snaps down and making an every game role for McKenzie.

The Bills are choosing to keep the older, slower, declining player on the field and they limit themselves on potential play calls. Beasley ain’t running end arounds and jet sweeps for you. 

• Hapless Bills Fan changed the title to Beasley flipping out at McDermott (at :41 of the 3rd quarter lower left screen on sideline)

Personally I tend not to read too much into these things because all of these guys are very competitive and all receivers think they are open on every play.

When I had season tickets during the Superbowl runs it was pretty common to see players arguing with their position coaches or yelling at each other, so with the exception of the more emotionally unstable players like AB this kind of stuff is pretty common. 

Beasley seems to be a guy that marches to the beat of his own drummer, likely because he made it to the NFL as an undrafted free agent and that's even harder to do than through the draft. 

I don't agree with the guy's politics or his stance on public health issues, but this just seems to be frustration at how the season has gone.  Also age tends to creep up on receivers pretty quickly.  The drop off can be pretty dramatic from one year to the next.

46 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

He's not running those deeper crossers (15-20 yards) he got open on frequently last year, though. He made a living doing that last year. This year he just looks a lot slower and less explosive.  

He's not getting thrown to on those deeper crossers. 

What I haven't been able to tease out (with the demise of decent Gamepass) is whether that's because those routes have been pulled from the gameplan, whether he's running them and not getting open, or whether Josh isn't getting time to find him on those routes?  Have you been able to watch enough to chart routes?

I agree that when I saw McKenzie playing in the 2nd Pats game the speed was a bit eyeball popping to me like "whoah, where has that been?"

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/11/2022 at 9:32 AM, Evian said:

McKenzie is like a backup QB. Everyone loves him, but he is not a consistently good player. Beasley is just a better player. Stats don't lie and Beasley has done it on the big stage. He was our top WR in the AFC title game last year. 

How can someone be a consistently good player if he isn't getting consistent snaps?

On 1/11/2022 at 12:02 PM, Jauronimo said:

Its plain to the eye that hes moving a step slower, far less elusive, not getting nearly the same degree of separation, and dropping catchable balls.  Last year he was playing out of his mind so maybe its slightly unfair to compare his current performance to the absolute best he has ever played but thats the bar.  

This is obvious to everyone but the few in this thread who think Beas is some kind of folk hero and will now defend him to the point of absurdity.  The offense moves the ball more efficiently when McKenzie stays on the field.  

The offense withBates at LG, Motor at RB, and McKenzie in the slot has been the best it's looked all year. Hopefully they don't mess with a good thing.

Edited by jlgarsh
Typo
  • Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, jlgarsh said:

The offense withBates at LG, Motor at RB, and McKenzie in the slot has been the best it's looked all year. Hopefully they don't mess with a good thing.

I agree but I think we’ll see more Cole than Isaiah unfortunately.  Cole saw 50% of the snaps last week while Dirty saw 26% last week and 31% the prior week. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, gordong said:

Can't believe this thread is still a thing... 

Look at what's being written in it.  Almost none of the content has anything to do with the thread title.

It's just rambling, totally off-topic argumentation at this point; most threads get this way after a certain point.

Many only maintain their integrity for about 1 page, maybe 2.

😂

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, NewEra said:

I agree but I think we’ll see more Cole than Isaiah unfortunately.  Cole saw 50% of the snaps last week while Dirty saw 26% last week and 31% the prior week. 

I'd hope for a closer to 50/50 split. Some guys just go off vs certain opponents. Brady vs Bills, Josh vs Dolphins, etc. Maybe McKenzie can turn into our Pats killer? Lol

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Sure Hap, or he's not winning his routes earlier and that's why he's not getting the ball later in the down.  As for "facts," you offered a hypothesis which may or may not be true.  All we've got to go on are his stats and metrics.  Do you really think if Beas was just as good at getting open in 2021, the coaches would give him poorer/shorter routes because of his insufferable personality?  That's insane, to me, but you do you.  I offered facts - I showed you the metrics FO has provided.  In response we're hearing (from - coincidentally I'm sure - folks with the same vax stance as Cole's) that he's just as effective as last year but he's being punished by the world.  Ok, where is the data to back that up?  Yes, it's possible Allen is being pressured more often/quickly and that's why Cole's numbers are what they are.  If so the other Bills' receivers should have similar reductions in effectiveness in 2021, right?  Do they?  I guess I could look that up for you, but it's been about 4 years of having to respond to baseless conspiracy theories with actual data and I'm tired.

The more likely explanation?  Cole Beasley isn't being asked to run shorter routes because of his public display of idiocy.  Instead, the Bills are facing more man coverage this year and Cole has lost a step.

Edited by Coach Tuesday
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Vomit 1
  • Agree 1

Mckenzie is the quickest fast guy on the team.  I think he is better today than Beasley.  I think the offense is at its best With Diggs, Mckenzie and Davis on the field.  Sanders and Beasley are still good for what they are.  Reliable guys who open will make catches and tough catches.  They should be accessory options not the main part of the offense at this point.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.