Dolphins fire Brian Flores

YoloinOhio

I always liked Flores and thought he was a good HC.

It's hard to forget Week 17 last year though. Win and you're in game, and you get demolished by the Bills backups. That's pretty inexcusable. 

But we've always just had his number. I'm sure he'll get another opportunity.

2 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

Really, really dumb move, IMO.

Flores has that team playing pretty well I thought. 

The worst part of this is that they might move on from Tua now as well. 

If McD came in to Buffalo. In 3 seasons never made the playoffs. Drafted a QB 5th overall that everyone questions, that yesterday threw the ball 22x for 109 yds. 

Im not surprised at all… Flores had high hopes but after 3 years it’s as if the dolphins still had no identity and were treading water. Nothing more.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, CEN-CAL17 said:

If McD came in to Buffalo. In 3 seasons never made the playoffs. Drafted a QB 5th overall that everyone questions, that yesterday threw the ball 22x for 109 yds. 

Im not surprised at all… Flores had high hopes but after 3 years it’s as if the dolphins still had no identity and were treading water. Nothing more.

The GM drafted that QB. I believe the coach wanted Watson,

3 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I can believe this - they both learned leadership from the Evil Empire and if you have narcissistic traits to begin with - learning control from NE is going to lead to issues in the real world. 

As I said - if he is smart he will move into a role on another team with a successful HC and learn how others handle situations and improve.

• Like (+1) 1

Flores was pretty darn good considering he got stuck with Tua at QB. The Dolphins owner Ross has his nose into everything he shouldn't have it in. 

Miami went 10-6 last season with Fitz (4-3) and Tua (6-3) and just missed getting into the playoffs. 

Granted, there was a ton of strange happenings going on inside that building. Like the releasing the team captains. Benching Fitz when the team was winning... for Tua who struggled early. Various offensive coordinators over his three seasons.

I'm kind of happy he is gone from Miami as any new HC will want to build the team his way... and that means changes to the coaching staff, players. Just what Tua needs is a new OC...

4 minutes ago, FireChans said:

The GM drafted that QB. I believe the coach wanted Watson,

Regardless of who wanted Tua or drafted him… as a head coach you’re expected to win. 5th overall pick. Not blaming Flores, maybe he did get a raw deal but obviously the FO thought he wasn’t the guy. I’m not surprised is what I’m saying.

5 minutes ago, CEN-CAL17 said:

Regardless of who wanted Tua or drafted him… as a head coach you’re expected to win. 5th overall pick. Not blaming Flores, maybe he did get a raw deal but obviously the FO thought he wasn’t the guy. I’m not surprised is what I’m saying.

They had a winning record this year.

I’m not saying he’s the best coach of all time and he clearly has poor interpersonal skills, but this FO is not blameless. They tried to tank two years ago. He took a terrible team over, went 10-6 and 9-8 with a terrible QB.

33 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

I keep seeing all of these posts about him being a good coach and winning, but the truth is that in 3 years - he won 1 more game than Adam Gase did in the 3 years before and that 1 extra win was the addition of the 17th game this year.  He also had 1 less playoff appearance than Gase did.

Overall Flores was under .500 and had not made the playoffs.  He was on his 3 offensive staff and they were looking at having to make another change.  He had alienated his QB in back to back years with how he handled the Fitz and Watson situation.

I think Flores might have a chance as a good DC, but he does not seem to be the leader that brings out the best in his guys.  

The expectations grew and he failed and in alienating people - his relationships cost him support and eventually his job.

He will get another chance, but if he is smart (unlike guys like Rex and Gase) - he will take a step back and try to get on a successful HC staff to see how he handles things - so he is better going forward because if not - he will flame out in job 2 also.  He needs to learn more how to handle the job of HC.

Ok first unlike Gase, they completely dismantled the team his first year he had ZERO talent on that team. Yet he still won 5 games. Next year the drafted pretty well and they went 10-6 miss the playoffs by a game. This year go 9-8 and after going 1-7 make a huge turn around and go 8-1 the rest of the way… he has shown he is a good HC when you look at it with all the facts in place.  Gase just sucked and destroyed a potentially good QB.

3 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

Ok first unlike Gase, they completely dismantled the team his first year he had ZERO talent on that team. Yet he still won 5 games. Next year the drafted pretty well and they went 10-6 miss the playoffs by a game. This year go 9-8 and after going 1-7 make a huge turn around and go 8-1 the rest of the way… he has shown he is a good HC when you look at it with all the facts in place.  Gase just sucked and destroyed a potentially good QB.

Gase was miserable and not even in the same stratosphere as Flores. 

I think the narrative around Flores was a little weird. I never felt like the rosters he had were so devoid of talent like the media claimed. He had more talent on that 5-11 team than McDermott had his first year Buffalo made the playoffs… or the following year when they went 6-10.

He’s had issues getting his team to show up for their biggest games, but at the same time the team played hard always. He botched handling Tua (should have had Hebert so it’s not his fault). I’d argue they haven’t drafted very well, it’s been ok, but not great. 

Ultimately he choked last year and his team underachieved this year. He should NOT have been fired because I don’t see any upgrades and I think he’s a solid HC… but he didn’t deserve to be 100% safe. 

I’m really struggling to dissect Flores TBH. A lot of conflicting information. 

41 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

At bottom, it sounds like Flores is just kind of a jerk, and jerks don't last long unless they win lots of games.

Sounds to me more like Flores wasn't willing to continue to defer to Chris Grier. Possibly wanted more say over his roster -- particularly at the QB position?

Synergy between GM and HC is important.

I don't get the sense that Flores wasn't a good relationship builder with his players -- certainly winning 8 of his last 9 this season indicates the team hadn't quit on him. It feels more like he didn't have a good relationship with the front office and/or ownership specifically.

I suppose it's all conjecture, though.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.