Where do you want the stadium?  

189 members have voted

1. 1. Stadium Location

• Orchard Park
    • Downtown Buffalo
  2. 2. Open Air or Dome

• Open Air
    • Dome
  3. 3. Most you'd pay for a PSL (Assuming lower level between the 30s). Prices would go lower incrementally from there

• 5-10k
    • 2.5-5k
    • 1-2k
    • 1k or less

There's been quite a few stadium discussion threads out there, but I haven't seen one that polls what people are looking for specifically.  With news of a stadium coming in the next few weeks hopefully, I'm curious to see the pros and cons people have for things.  These are mine:

Biggest Fears

• PSL pricing - Anything over 5k is insane and I think dramatically hurts season ticket holders
  • Preferred seating between the 20's.  The Jags stadium does this and you lose a lot of seats to walk ways and standing room
  • Weather placement - Where will the sun rise, wind conditions within the stadium. 
  • Food - The food selection in the current stadium is terrible.  You can't even get an italian sausage

Orchard Park Pros

• Traffic and Tailgating remains the same

Orchard Park Cons

• No support from UB
  • Less likely to host bigger events or Super Bowl

Downtown Buffalo Pros

• If built up the right way, could have solid supporting restaurants in the area.  Imagine a Bar Bill, Gabriels Gate, Anchor, and Duffs all within walking distance from the stadium
  • Hotels within walking distance (great for the true partiers)
  • If built the right way, could clear out area for tailgating

Downtown Buffalo Cons

• Almost a Billion dollars more expensive - Ticket prices and PSL's go up
  • If not built right, Tailgating takes a hit
  • If not built right, traffic is a nightmare

For those that want open air, I wonder what percentage of you don't own season tickets.  A large part of the dome for my family is the games in December we can't attend and can't even give tickets away.

Edited by Virgil
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I live near Athens, GA so I'm never going to be a season ticket holder. That said, I think Orchard Park and a Dome is the best combination. PSL's are standard nowadays, but the whole idea seems immoral to me, so I don't agree to any of it. As close to zero would be my preference.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

Just now, TheFunPolice said:

PSE spokesman (can't remember his name) was on WGR talking about all this, and he said the fan survey they did clearly indicated a preference for an open air stadium.

I think we should remember that this board is a tiny minority of Bills fans. 

I really think these are the same people who want the Dolphins in our division.  They are stuck in this 90's legacy thinking and it doesn't make sense anymore.  If you play in bad weather, a dome lets your run or pass.  If you play outdoors in bad weather, running becomes the primary option.  It was great when we had Thurman, but why make ourselves one dimensional?

Besides money, I can't see a con to a dome

• Agree 6

Just now, Virgil said:

I really think these are the same people who want the Dolphins in our division.  They are stuck in this 90's legacy thinking and it doesn't make sense anymore.  If you play in bad weather, a dome lets your run or pass.  If you play outdoors in bad weather, running becomes the primary option.  It was great when we had Thurman, but why make ourselves one dimensional?

Besides money, I can't see a con to a dome

Football is an outdoor sport IMO. Weather is part of the game. 

But I do wish that we had moved into the AFC North as was proposed (with Baltimore going to the AFC East) 

Bills

Browns

Steelers

Bengals

THAT would have been epic! Such local rivalries. 

• Like (+1) 10

1 minute ago, TheFunPolice said:

Football is an outdoor sport IMO. Weather is part of the game. 

But I do wish that we had moved into the AFC North as was proposed (with Baltimore going to the AFC East) 

Bills

Browns

Steelers

Bengals

THAT would have been epic! Such local rivalries. 

Weather was part of the game because it had to be for a while.  Now that it's more of a choice, why not make it better for our team?  To me, that's legacy thinking.  I want the environment that gives our team the best chance to win.  Weather doesn't give us an advantage.  Plus, the noise in a domed stadium would be a huge advantage.

I completely agree on your division btw.  Imagine living within 2-4 hour of 12 potential Bills games a year

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

A retractable roof would be better than a dome. Only close it on the extreme days, like the Pats game or heavy rain.

If you've never seen an NFL game in a dome, it really sucks. The awesome game day atmosphere is gone, and the noise advantage takes a big hit. It seems so quiet at a game indoors.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I love the idea of a rebuilding part of downtown, south of HSBC, including into South Buffalo to accommodate a multi-purpose Dome, include plenty of Parking and tailgating, a few more hotels, restaurants, and shops.   This would include a plan to manage traffic in and out.  I cant see it happening because of cost, time, and politics but it would really enhance the city IMO.  

I have seen some interesting plans for the Buffalo Skyway, both for and against taking it down.  This could be a factor in a downtown stadium and probably swing the votes toward staying in OP.  

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Weather was part of the game because it had to be for a while.  Now that it's more of a choice, why not make it better for our team?  To me, that's legacy thinking.  I want the environment that gives our team the best chance to win.  Weather doesn't give us an advantage.  Plus, the noise in a domed stadium would be a huge advantage.

I completely agree on your division btw.  Imagine living within 2-4 hour of 12 potential Bills games a year

It was so close to happening (Bills in AFC North) when the NFL went to 32 teams and realigned divisions, but Mr. Wilson vetoed it because of the Dolphins "rivalry"

I'm pretty sure that when the NFL went from West-Central-East to the 4 divisions per conference the Bills were penciled in to the AFC North. 

Edited by TheFunPolice
  • Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, 947 said:

NFL game in a dome, it really sucks.

My two experiences in OLD fashioned domes were in cities that don’t know football and ugly domes. Indy people read books at halftime—they are not mafia!

I like to think about “clear covering with openings”. This idea idea of a clear plastic covering is a good middle ground. 

• Like (+1) 2

Ive noticed some stadiums have way too much space between the sidelines and the 1st row of fans behind the bench.   

Our stadium now is great in that sense and I hope they keep that in mind with the new one.  Sure the team could probably use a little more room but moving back the stands too far hurts every view from the 1st row all the way back.

There are a few NFL ones where the 1st row at midfield is like 30 yards from the field, its a joke.

• Agree 1

Of these choices I would prefer a domed stadium downtown, ideally without PSLs.

But my number one criteria in general is that they stay in Buffalo, so if an open air stadium in OP with PSLs is what keeps the Bills in Buffalo Im happy with it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

Yet another thread debating a dome?

They are NOT GOING TO BUILD A DOME IN WNY!

Get over it!

It costs too much money and the owner of the team doesn't want it! 

PS:  I can't believe how may fans think a stadium in Orchard Park is a good idea.

Jesus Christ.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

12 minutes ago, Since1981 said:

My two experiences in OLD fashioned domes were in cities that don’t know football and ugly domes. Indy people read books at halftime—they are not mafia!

I like to think about “clear covering with openings”. This idea idea of a clear plastic covering is a good middle ground. 

Any stadium anywhere does this now?  First I've heard of something like this.

1.)  Warm seats and warm environment for all home games.  The ability to wear one layer of clothing from august to January.

2.). Good site lines.

3.)  Sections with a no standing policy during the game.  Your not a part of the team.  You standing isn’t helping the team play better or disrupting the opponent and you are simply forcing everyone behind you to stand and ruing their experience.

Thank you!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Yet another thread debating a dome?

They are NOT GOING TO BUILD A DOME IN WNY!

Get over it!

It costs too much money and the owner of the team doesn't want it! 

I'm sure a debate will happen, but that's not what this is meant for.  The poll was really what I was interested and what people were looking for in a new stadium overall.  The dome is just one of those hot topics within it

Just now, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

1.)  Warm seats and warm environment for all home games.  The ability to wear one layer of clothing from august to January.

2.). Good site lines.

3.)  Sections with a no standing policy during the game.  Your not a part of the team.  You standing isn’t helping the team play better or disrupting the opponent and you are simply forcing everyone behind you to stand and ruing their experience.

Thank you!

I saw this in the lightest way possible, but roughly how old are you?  I agree with what you're saying, except for standing in the lower level, but it does come off as very "Get off my lawn." 🙂

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I'm sure a debate will happen, but that's not what this is meant for.  The poll was really what I was interested and what people were looking for in a new stadium overall.  The dome is just one of those hot topics within it

I saw this in the lightest way possible, but roughly how old are you?  I agree with what you're saying, except for standing in the lower level, but it does come off as very "Get off my lawn." 🙂

I’m in my late 30s.  Very fit and athletic.  
I just hate standing and I hate the cold.

to be fair…I went to A LOT of games during the Super Bowl runs of the 90s.  I fought my cold weather wars 😂 and stood through out several playoff games and the entire Broncos vs. Bills AFC Championship game (along with a boat load of others)

Personally, I’m just done with it.  I really don’t want folks not to be able to stand.  But maybe there should be some sections (like non-smoking) where if you buy a seat, you use it.

• Like (+1) 4

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.