Brian Daboll deserves a lot of credit today.

FireChans

29 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

He gets credit but it also brings up the obvious question of why McKenzie hasn’t been used the entire year. 

Yeah a lot of concepts and personnel usage today are things that many of us have been asking for all year. Rolling pockets, McKenzie usage, quick passes to the RB, play action... It took Daboll way too long to get the offense in rhythm. Now that he's found the right plan I just hope he sticks with it.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

45 minutes ago, White Linen said:

Running Allen to kill the clock before halftime.   Good way to get your QB hurt.  Totally boneheaded.

Eric Wood on the broadcast was like, "I think I'd use the RB there so to not get my QB killed."  He was totally baffled at that call.  

And also why no QB sneak on 2nd and goal from the 1.  Rather, 4 passes.  

• Agree 1

52 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Still don’t love the shenanigans inside the 5 yard line - it’s like they have no go-to plays down there they’re comfortable with and pull out the mad scientist crap instead, which they clearly don’t practice enough.  Daboll needs to learn that it’s better to master 3-5 plays than to dabble in 27 plays… Daboll the Dabbler.  Brian Dabble.  I’m onto something here…

I still don't love WR sweeps to Mckenzie multiple times a game either. 

42 minutes ago, HoofHearted said:

He’s still a work in progress as far as being able to run the route tree from the slot. He’s not as polished a route runner as Beasley is but was a complete mismatch running those crossers against the Patriots man coverage.

Has nothing to do with him as a route runner. Last year he was used extensively on jet sweeps and reverses. This year we’ve rarely seen any of those plays and it begs the question why. 

• Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Didn’t read through all the comments but the last flip touchdown to Knox was EXACTLY what I mentioned this week. Put Josh out in space and force the defense to make a choice. Hard to imagine that play wouldn’t work nine times out of ten. In fact, on that play Singletary was left open just a few feet from the TE as well. The defender has no choice but to run at Allen or he’ll just walk in. Come on Daboll….it’s obvious!

Edited by SoCal Deek
  • Thank you (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, FireChans said:

The Sanders and Kumerow drops kept the Pats in the game unfortunately. 

The call to Kumerow was masterful, dude was without a defender within 10 yards and flubbed it.

In all fairness that pass was not josh’s best to a wide open guy.  Should he have made the catch, probably but it wasn’t an easy catch. Plus. We had really already scored and had the td called back with penalties i believe.   We were first and 25 at  that point I think.  Just saying , if we stop making stupid offensive penalties ( lineman down field on Knox’s td ) that drop never a. Issue.  So no problem giving kumerow a little crap but also the line and others deserve the same reprimand.  

Sanders drop was the more egregious drop because it hit him right in the chest.  If Mcd is true to best 11 being on the field , Davis and McKenzie should be on offense much ,much more.  Sanders doesn’t  deserve to start , while mckenzie needs to be used more and even cut into Beasley’s time.   If those guys had been in the o more this year , we may be fighting for the #1 seed.  

It feels like Sanders especially is starting just based on seniority and past years production,  but nothing to do with this years work.    Who is responsible, Mcd or Daboll ?  That was last years o we expected to see all year.   Real question, where has it been , why are guys placed in purgatory at times , and what willl the o look like next week. It’s not over , two big games still ahead! We determine our own destiny , let’s hope the offensive coaching now keeps showing up.  Great performance today, so no excuse to see it drop off. Now is the time to peak and play the best 11 !  

19 minutes ago, Man with No Name said:

McKenzie played a game like this against miami last year, and looked so good I had a brief thought in my head that we wouldn't be able to afford to bring him back. I get that he might be a guy that is easy to game plan against if you use him all the time, but there has to be a bigger role for the guy. 

The only thing stopping McKenzie from being this offenses Tyrek Hill, is injuries. 

Edited by atlbillsfan1975

11 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Has nothing to do with him as a route runner. Last year he was used extensively on jet sweeps and reverses. This year we’ve rarely seen any of those plays and it begs the question why. 

Has everything to do with it. He’s a package player and he’s been used in the same packages he was used in last year.

1 minute ago, HoofHearted said:

Has everything to do with it. He’s a package player and he’s been used in the same packages he was used in last year.

So you’re saying he somehow got worse as a route runner and became less of a weapon to be used for the things he was successful at last year? Makes sense.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Steptide said:

He called a great game today. One thing that hasent been talked about it, is the 4th down when they drew the Pats Offside. They lined Allen up in shotgun and had mckenzie(?) come across in motion. Was pretty genius and the defender jumped 

Josh played a perfect, poised game too. If he plays like this weekly, sky's the limit. 

3 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

So you’re saying he somehow got worse as a route runner and became less of a weapon to be used for the things he was successful at last year? Makes sense.

Not what I said at all actually. You asked why we don’t use him. I explained to you why he’s not used as a primary receiver. He’s being used in the same capacity he was last year.

46 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

IDK why they won't play Bates normally and it was clear that Dawkins was fine to play so again IDK why we didn't just start the game that way. 

It's been my understanding for some time now that Bates is the backup center and especially with Feliciano out, they value that role too much to risk being without a center if Morse goes down.

2 minutes ago, HoofHearted said:

Not what I said at all actually. You asked why we don’t use him. I explained to you why he’s not used as a primary receiver. He’s being used in the same capacity he was last year.

I never said he should be used as a primary receiver. And no, he’s not being used in the same capacity as last year. His snap percentage is down considerably this year and our offense lacks the same diversity it had last year with McKenzie. 

1 minute ago, Bangarang said:

I never said he should be used as a primary receiver. And no, he’s not being used in the same capacity as last year. His snap percentage is down considerably this year and our offense lacks the same diversity it had last year with McKenzie. 

Offensive snap count is down to 17% from 25% last year - that while missing a game due to being inactive. What has increased significantly is his role as a returner this year which is likely part of the reason they aren’t using him as much offensively as well. However, they’ve used him the exact same way they used him last year (up until today) - sparingly - just like last year.

7 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Josh played a perfect, poised game too. If he plays like this weekly, sky's the limit. 

True.  Best game perhaps this year.  He was calm and made great choices, like giving the ball to rbs at times.   Just can’t forget the o line didn’t leave guys running unblocked at his blindside this game !  When he has time and not fearful of being killed, he is a true stud and sky is the limit for him. Love his demeanor , he can really take command as the leader of this team !  It sure helps to not be running for your life at the snap!  O line had its best game of the season and allowed us to see a glimpse of how great Josh can be! 

1 hour ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Two of those should have been TDs if executed properly. JA missed wide open Knox and Sanders dropped a perfect pass.

Where did he miss a wide open Knox?

Are you referring to the play where Josh threw it slightly behind Knox as he was falling down and had to change his arm slot to avoid it getting batted down by a defender? 

11 minutes ago, BillnutinHouston said:

It's been my understanding for some time now that Bates is the backup center and especially with Feliciano out, they value that role too much to risk being without a center if Morse goes down.

It would be much worse if Allen went down and he had significantly more time today along with consistent escape lanes. Sign another backup center.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.