Brian Daboll deserves a lot of credit today.

FireChans

First thing: yes, Daboll called a great game. His calls to get Allen on the move after the snap to help the oline was key, and he should have been doing more of that all year. Hope he keeps it up.

Second thing: has anyone considered that benching McKenzie actually contributed to his success today? Sometimes you need a kick in the pants to reach your full potential.

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I will be the first to give him credit today. We finally got Allen some pass protection by moving the pocket and leaving extra blockers in. The red zone play calling was much better outside of the one Moss run. The offense looked in rhythm from start to finish and played a complete game for really the first time this season. 3rd and 4th down play calling were excellent. If Daboll actually sticks with this offense I would be happy to see him back next year.

He’s not perfect, but he is a better than average OC and our QB God loves him. Something to factor in!

21 minutes ago, HoofHearted said:

Offensive snap count is down to 17% from 25% last year - that while missing a game due to being inactive. What has increased significantly is his role as a returner this year which is likely part of the reason they aren’t using him as much offensively as well. However, they’ve used him the exact same way they used him last year (up until today) - sparingly - just like last year.

His numbers across the board have decreased from last year. He’s been a healthy scratch. Even watching the games you can see the difference in how he’s used compared to last year. The evidence says you’re wrong but okay. 

Edited by Bangarang

14 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

His numbers across the board have decreased from last year. He’s been a healthy scratch. Even watching the games you can see the difference in how he’s used compared to last year. The evidence says you’re wrong but okay. 

They haven’t, but sure if that’s what fits your narrative that’s fine. As far as the X’s and O’s I’m positive I know what I’m talking about and they’ve used him in exactly the same ways they used him last year.

Edited by HoofHearted

16 minutes ago, HoofHearted said:

They haven’t, but sure if that’s what fits your narrative that’s fine. As far as the X’s and O’s I’m positive I know what I’m talking about and they’ve used him in exactly the same ways they used him last year.

My narrative is that he hasn’t been used at the same rate as last year and our offense is missing that creative element and speed. You seem to be arguing points I haven’t made. 

4 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

My narrative is that he hasn’t been used at the same rate as last year and our offense is missing that creative element and speed. You seem to be arguing points I haven’t made. 

Incorrect. I’ve been arguing that he’s been used as much as he has last year (as per his snap count numbers). And that he’s been used in the same way he was used last year as far as package and play designs. Which is exactly the counter to the point you’ve been making. I dont

know what else to say at this point. This has gotten awkward.

Edited by HoofHearted

16 minutes ago, MJS said:

First thing: yes, Daboll called a great game. His calls to get Allen on the move after the snap to help the oline was key, and he should have been doing more of that all year. Hope he keeps it up.

Second thing: has anyone considered that benching McKenzie actually contributed to his success today? Sometimes you need a kick in the pants to reach your full potential.

Not a big kick in the pants type of guy as prior owner of my own practice and director of several clinics.  Treat adults fairly. Raise their expectations of how good they can be with support and just open communication.  Once you start being punitive , things rarely turn positive. Resentments can build and passive aggressive behavior happens.

He showed great promise last year and took a reasonable salary to be here and prove his worth.  The o has struggled almost all year. Whose to say we might have had more offensive days like today had he been treated more fairly with more use?  We see how sitting  him / excluding him from the o worked out. I prefer todays results!  We never punted! Mcd or Someone is quick to be punitive; I mean he fumbled once with a bad outcome.    It’s like being on a bAsketball team and you know if you make one turnover , miss one 3 pointer , you are coming out immediately. That’s a lot of extra pressure and you play tight.

Maybe it’s time to quit being so rigid and try to find ways to use his unique talents. He showed amazing desire and enthusiasm, and was the biggest positive change this o has seen in many games. He produced under pressure as a receiver. Maybe he was misused as a returner?  Maybe that’s the coaching staffs fault and not the players who has little say in how he is used! He EARNED MORE PLAYING TIME BASED ON TODAYS RESULTS!  

Keep kicking him in the pants and see how good he becomes again as a miscast returner , or encourage him , accept YOU MADE AN ERRor , and look to build on this and make the o better!  I think he has been misused , pro athletes in modern times don’t respond well to being “ kicked”!   Would you ? These guys have already faced being kicked in the pants as they have had to battle just to make the roster. If you need to do that now, it’s probably the staff who already made errors choosing him over someone else to be on the roster.  Can’t make huge roster changes now, that’s off season stuff. Now is the time to get all you can from who is here!  That’s on the staff! They need to accept todays play and keep using him. No time to be rigid and let’s say just keep with Sanders because he was so good with the niners!   How good was he today?  How good has he been this season?  He doesn’t need kicked, he needs to earn back playing time. 

• Dislike 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.