Looks like the Jets will be getting a lot of games in the UK

Greg S

Wow, they really do hate the UK dont they? Stuck with Jacksonville and the Jets? I was at a hotel in Munich a few weeks ago and the nfl europe executives were there to see which city they want to host the game at. Hopefully them seeing my and my girlfriend in our Bills stuff means we can get an (Away) game in Germany. I went to my first German Soccer game a few weeks ago and it was more nuts than anything I've seen at american sports (and the team wasnt even a good one). The crowd banging on drums, singing songs for 90+ minutes, lighting flares and chanting; if you can mix Bills mafia with German Soccer fans, it would be the perfect combination. 

20 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Will they be called the Old York Jets? Or just the York Jets?

The New Jersey Yorkies 

20 hours ago, freddyjj said:

My advice is Bills take Ireland as the tailgating possibilities would be massive.  Jameson, Guinness and folding tables.

A match made in heaven!  

Amen and Slainte!

By the way, I suspect OBD wanted no Canada designation to avoid the outcry from the fans re: Toronto, Bon Jovi, and the like. 

Edited by JohnBonhamRocks
  • Agree 1

21 hours ago, Greg S said:

(8) Rich Cimini on Twitter: "#Jets have been awarded international marketing rights to the United Kingdom, team announces. The UK will be their "second home," which means a big Jets presence in the UK, where owner Woody Johnson served as US ambassador. Sounds like they could have future games in the UK." / Twitter

Garbage Teams are apparently the only ones who applied for this?

Strange the bills didn't pursue (or get) this designation for Canada.

I know they are popular in southern ontario... but I have friends in ottawa/Montreal and the bills are highly popular there.  I think they identify with our rabid, unconventional,  and rather outcast fan base.  

Now that the team is relevant, time to strike and use every tool to grow deep roots

Strange they would take games away from such a huge market.  I mean the jags have been a dumpster fire so I get stopping that. But surprised they couldn't get the panthers or titans. If the Jets do turn it around...which is a big if right now this could be a solid move. 

I wonder how much the Jets actually serve the NFL, seeing they have always been a much lesser version, and a red headed stepchild to the beloved and storied Giants.  Is 2 teams in the same media market redundant.... especially when 1 of them is rarely any good.?

Id say the same thing in LA with the Chargers.  The Rams are more successful as well as a little more rooted (I do realize the Chargers started in LA 60 years ago).

47 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

Strange the bills didn't pursue (or get) this designation for Canada.

I know they are popular in southern ontario... but I have friends in ottawa/Montreal and the bills are highly popular there.  I think they identify with our rabid, unconventional,  and rather outcast fan base.  

Now that the team is relevant, time to strike and use every tool to grow deep roots

I bet the Bills are actually on the Canada list behind the scenes, and they just don't want to poke the beehive re: stadium/moving rumors.

22 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

So the NFL couldn't market the Jaguars to London, even with the Owner's joint ownership of Fulham Football Club....and now they're going to try and sell the dumpster fire that is the NY Jets?  What's next?  The Bills are going to play games in Toronto? 😂

It has marketed the Jags to London pretty well actually. They are the third most popular NFL team in the UK among millennials which when you consider their frankly atrocious performance levels for all but one year of the past decade and a half is pretty remarkable. 

7 minutes ago, 1ManRaid said:

I bet the Bills are actually on the Canada list behind the scenes, and they just don't want to poke the beehive re: stadium/moving rumors.

You would think that there is some sort of 'benefit' or exclusivity that comes with this designation in some way.  I don't think we/Bills fans would freak out if the Bills held that designation.  It would be more of a 'well, duh'.

The Toronto series brought such backlash because for all intents and purposes it was a dress rehearsal for Toronto getting the Bills.  Rogers basically bought himself a piece of 'ownership', while Ralph Wilson got a nice cash dividend, and also had a really wealthy bidder lined up for when he would eventually pass away.

I would have no problem if there was a one-time "international series" game that featured the Bills at this point.  I think it beats travelling across the pond or to Mexico.  I also think Bills fans would support it as Canadians would support a relevant Bills team

15 hours ago, Mattymafia said:

Wow, they really do hate the UK dont they? Stuck with Jacksonville and the Jets? I was at a hotel in Munich a few weeks ago and the nfl europe executives were there to see which city they want to host the game at. Hopefully them seeing my and my girlfriend in our Bills stuff means we can get an (Away) game in Germany. I went to my first German Soccer game a few weeks ago and it was more nuts than anything I've seen at american sports (and the team wasnt even a good one). The crowd banging on drums, singing songs for 90+ minutes, lighting flares and chanting; if you can mix Bills mafia with German Soccer fans, it would be the perfect combination. 

Yea my experiences of German soccer games are mixed. Depends which city you go to. I have been to 4 games over there and been in some incredible atmospheres and some absolutely terrifying ones. I have watched soccer in most countries in Europe and 2 of my 3 worst experiences were in Germany, but then so was 1 of my best. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.