NFL informs clubs 2022 salary cap projected to be $208.2 million

stosh64

25 minutes ago, 34-78-83 said:

Morse won't be a cap casualty. 1 - he's good. 2- There is no replacement in waiting. 3- even good prospect Draft picks at Center can take 2 to 3 years to develop unless you strike gold.

I could easily see another restructure with him. Buffalo could also go out and try and get Bradley Bozeman of the Ravens or even Austin Corbett of the Rams as younger upgrades if they hit FA. Depends how they view Morse and what they want to do with the interior of that offensive line. 

Judging from what Beane has done in the pats, a restructure to free up money and drafting a C to mold behind him seems like it's most likely, unfortunately.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DCOrange said:

Hughes and Addison are already factored into us having $10 mil in cap space.

There are a lot of levers we can pull to free up room though; some that are relatively painless (cutting Darryl Williams) and some that would be a bit more painful (cutting Beasley).

Just messing around with Spotrac's Manage Roster feature, some money saving moves (including some that probably aren't ideal or necessary):

• Restructure Diggs - $7.1 mil
  • Restructure Tre - $7.1 mil
  • Restructure Dawkins - $5.3 mil
  • Restructure Star - $3.4 mil (can cut him and save a little bit more but it's not a big difference)
  • Restructure Milano - $4.8 mil
  • Release Morse - $7.5 mil
  • Release Darryl - $5.3 mil
  • Release Beasley - $6.1 mil
  • Release Poyer - $6.7 mil
  • Trade Edmunds - $12.7 mil

Add up all of that and we're at $76.6 mil in cap space.

I know that is just a hypothetical, but that is assuming they all restructure to base minimum salaries. 

4 hours ago, stosh64 said:

Jerry Hughes too. 9.4 mil, Morse 11.2, Star 9.3

Going to be some big changes to next years roster.

lol  Hughes isn’t under contract next season so him not being here doesn’t impact next season’s cap at all.  Releasing Morse and Star would cause dead cap hits.  Due to those the savings would be only $7.5M for Morse and $4.25 for Star.

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Like (+1) 1

The Bills will have about 10 million in cap space with 39 contracts on the roster which is not a lot to work with. However the Bills have some fat on the roster they can cut or restructure. Releasing Mongo, D.Williams and Ford frees you up about 10.25 million on the cap. Releasing Mitch would also be another 7.5 million in savings. So that would leave you with 27 million in cap space with only 35 players on the roster. Other options are releasing Matakevich and AJ Klein which would save 7.75 million. 

But the Bills also have the option of restructuring deals. The team can easily redo Star's deal to save 3.35 million, restructuring Diggs and Milano saves 15 million. And there are other restructuring options on the table. Overall the team has a lot of flexibility. I suspect by the time they finish restructuring deals and cuts they will probably have 35ish players on the roster with 40-60 million in space. Enough to bring back a few players like Hughes and enough to make a couple of solid mid-level acquisitions. 

3 hours ago, 34-78-83 said:

Morse won't be a cap casualty. 1 - he's good. 2- There is no replacement in waiting. 3- even good prospect Draft picks at Center can take 2 to 3 years to develop unless you strike gold.

I agree with this. He won't be a cap causality. On the O-line I see D.Williams being cut or restructured and possibly Mongo and Ford being cuts.

The main area of concern is the offensive line and strengthening that position: to protect Josh when passing better and running the football better.

Beane is gonna have to make some critical decisions about the line about who is salvageable and where to play them.

I think we have RT figured out for sure, other than that, the line has been pretty suspect this year. 

I would have no problems with our first 2 picks in the draft being OL.  Bring in youth to fill those spots.

Just to keep in mind, you don't just get rid of players, you replace them.  Who replaces Morse?  I'd like to see Beasley stay, despite his preseason covid BS he's still incredibly valuable. The offense moves so much better when he's getting involved.

• Like (+1) 4

20 minutes ago, klos63 said:

Just to keep in mind, you don't just get rid of players, you replace them.  Who replaces Morse?  I'd like to see Beasley stay, despite his preseason covid BS he's still incredibly valuable. The offense moves so much better when he's getting involved.

9 million means there will be unpopular cuts.

Morse opens around 7 (Bates and Mongo)

Bease opens around 6.1

Star opens around 4.2

Klien opens around 5.1 (Dodson)

Mongo and Williams could be restructured.

Edited by TheyCallMeAndy

1 hour ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

9 million means there will be unpopular cuts.

Morse opens around 7 (Bates and Mongo)

Bease opens around 6.1

Star opens around 4.2

Klien opens around 5.1 (Dodson)

Mongo and Williams could be restructured.

I can't imagine that the replacements on our weak offensive line are current members of our offensive line.  That would not be a good thing.

The Bills with cuts and restructures could easily create another 30 to 40 million in cap space..that’s why you don’t really pay attention to teams cap numbers

If the Bills can’t attract some vet free agents at a decent price after possibly a 4th playoff appearance in 5 years… a legit superstar QB…one of the most rabid fan bases in the league…a new stadium in the pipeline…I don’t know what to tell you .

Edited by 78thealltimegreat
  • Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

Enough to bring back a few players like Hughes and enough to make a couple of solid mid-level acquisitions. 

I've defended Jerry a lot over the last twelve months. But I don't see us re signing him. Some people were calling for him to be cut in camp and I said no way.

If for no other reason than respect for the man and what he's done here. He's been a great Bill and doesn't deserve to be treated like that, and the message that would send through the team would not be a good one at all.

This is different. His contract is up and I'm not seeing the reward of giving him another one. Makes me sick to say that honestly. I love me some Jerry.

M

On 12/15/2021 at 8:40 AM, maddenboy said:

People like Mitch trubisky are celebrating today.  

Might be a topic for another thread, but is there any chance Trubinsky will stay with the Bills? We need him.

17 hours ago, klos63 said:

Who replaces Morse?  

Creed Humphrey, of course, the Pro Bowler Beane stole in the second round in an impressive move that looked to the future. 

Oh, wait...

The Bills will certainly find some room in the offseason and can get out of some recent bad deals quickly (i.e. Feliciano, Williams, etc).

But anybody that thinks Beane is going to spend big money in the offseason (unless it's former Panther players he's familiar with) is probably setting themself up for major disappointment unless the Pegula's tell him that they need to go all in on 2022 or he's fired.

18 hours ago, billsfan714 said:

is there dead Addison money next year?   I see 2 million on some cap sites.

It looks like with Addison and Sanders, they get their money whether we opt out or not.

I still think Mongo could take over Center, it would help our run game. When he’s filled in last year and the year prior he was a surprise. 

12 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

It looks like with Addison and Sanders, they get their money whether we opt out or not.

I still think Mongo could take over Center, it would help our run game. When he’s filled in last year and the year prior he was a surprise. 

The money has already been paid.  The voidable contract years just spread some of the cap hit out.  Those two numbers are locked in. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.