NFL informs clubs 2022 salary cap projected to be $208.2 million

stosh64

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/2022/

😂  Don’t get too excited.  The Bills currently have 39 players under contract for next season plus about $10M projected in available cap space.  They will (have to) create more space - and there’s various places for them to do that - but there won’t be a big spending spree.  There’s lots of work to be done.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 3

Probably the same toys that every other NFL team with an extra $25.7 million needs:  OL, DL, skill players.  Unfortunately, I think most of that money will go to increase the pay of those middling players who will be sought after by all, but are not real game-changers.  It will also drive up the cost of those special players most in demand by all teams, but are able to be choosy about where they go.  The Bills still have to be very smart with their cap.

1 hour ago, RangerDave said:

Probably the same toys that every other NFL team with an extra $25.7 million needs:  

Agreed.   Its not free money.  And all teams have to spend their 25.7 (or at least up to the cap floor).

Lots of agents and lots of deals have been done during covid, with the idea that the cap will return to normal.  This 25.7 is just moving toward normal, so lots of players will get their wink-nod raises now.

The benefit to the Bills is not having to spend it on chasing / gambling on a potential future franchise QB.  People like Mitch trubisky are celebrating today.  Tyrod Taylor maybe?  Sam Darnold.  Garrapolo.

McBeane, notsomuch.

1 hour ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

bye bye Morse and Star

There is $20M in cap space right there

Jerry Hughes too. 9.4 mil, Morse 11.2, Star 9.3

Just now, stosh64 said:

Going to be some big changes to next years roster.

1 hour ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

bye bye Morse and Star

There is $20M in cap space right there

Who will our new center be?

8 minutes ago, stosh64 said:

Going to be some big changes to next years roster.

i think that was always the case, lot of contracts had easy outs after this season. Addison, Williams, Hughes...

• Agree 2

23 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

Those are likely gone but I also think Hughes, Ford, Moss, Sanders and Epenesa may not be with this team next year. 

I would hope they would trade Ford & get something for him at the very least & should do the same with Moss if they can Sanders will be gone but Epenesa has done some good things while here and they could have done a lot worse he's 1 i hope can get better .

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/tools/roster/buffalo-bills/2022/

If you want to play around with releases etc.  It doesn't give you option to extend a player ie. add a void year (like buffalo did with the sanders/addison contracts this year).  Any restructures just convert base salary to bonuses.  

The for sure cuts - Morse, Klein, Matakevich

The maybe cuts - Beasley, Williams, Feliciano, Ford (only because the savings aren't that big and he's a camp body til you cut him - maybe someone gets desperate and trades for him)

Extension candidates - Edmunds, Oliver, Diggs

Restructure Candidates - Tre, Dawkins, Milano

1 minute ago, T master said:

I would hope they would trade Ford & get something for him at the very least & should do the same with Moss if they can Sanders will be gone but Epenesa has done some good things while here and they could have done a lot worse he's 1 i hope can get better .

Sanders is gone and has a void year cap hold for 2022.  Epenesa would carry about a 1M cap hit if traded vs. the 1.6 if hes on the roster so i don't see moving him for any reason.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Isn’t Hughes already a FA in 2022? Based on his early season performance, I thought they might try to bring him back another year (and they still may), but he looks shot to me. Pains me to say it because I like Jerry the person/player. Sure he still gets some pressure which is important, but he hasn’t closed the deal very often the last few years. Im sure there is some PFF chart out there that still ranks him highly with respect to pressure, but we all watch the games and see he’s not as effective anymore. 

-Similarly, Addison is shot and should be gone too. Seems like a good dude, but never should’ve signed him really. 

-I’m also good with moving on from Star. Not because he can’t play, but because we can’t count on him.

-On the fence about cutting Morse. Wouldn’t have a huge problem if they do it, but they better have a plan. If you tell me they flip that cap space for a Levi Wallace extension and another piece on offense (line or skill) and then they add a center in the draft, I’d be up for it. Then again, they may also move on from Wallace too depending how Dane plays down the stretch (can’t pay everyone). 

-Bease may depend on how he plays down the stretch. Yes, he didn’t do himself any favors with this regime with the vaccine distractions earlier this year (not because he chose to be unvaccinated, but that he was so relentlessly public about it). Those distractions put a lot on a player to perform. Otherwise you aren’t worth the aggravation. He’s been injured, but looked good and played great against the Bucs. Like old Bease. If he keeps that up with a big end of year, I think they may keep him. 

28 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

Those are likely gone but I also think Hughes, Ford, Moss, Sanders and Epenesa may not be with this team next year. 

Hughes is a UFA - if he comes back it'd be for a cheap swan song.  Ford is in the last year of a deal and could be released/traded with cap savings.  Nothing is really gained by moving moss (700k in space which is enough to sign... zach moss), but if you could get a pick maybe?  Sanders is gone.  Epenesa is in a similar position as moss, nothing would really be gained by trading him.  

1 minute ago, dneveu said:

Hughes is a UFA - if he comes back it'd be for a cheap swan song.  Ford is in the last year of a deal and could be released/traded with cap savings.  Nothing is really gained by moving moss (700k in space which is enough to sign... zach moss), but if you could get a pick maybe?  Sanders is gone.  Epenesa is in a similar position as moss, nothing would really be gained by trading him.  

Maaaybe we get a pick for Moss and Epenesa but I am not sure. Epenesa's snap counts are up from last year but he hardly makes impactful plays. Maybe he is kept around for one more season to not rock the DE room too much (if Hughes is also gone)

2 minutes ago, TheProcess said:

Isn’t Hughes already a FA in 2022? Based on his early season performance, I thought they might try to bring him back another year (and they still may), but he looks shot to me. Pains me to say it because I like Jerry the person/player. Sure he still gets some pressure which is important, but he hasn’t closed the deal very often the last few years. Im sure there is some PFF chart out there that still ranks him highly with respect to pressure, but we all watch the games and see he’s not as effective anymore. 

-Similarly, Addison is shot and should be gone too. Seems like a good dude, but never should’ve signed him really. 

-I’m also good with moving on from Star. Not because he can’t play, but because we can’t count on him.

-On the fence about cutting Morse. Wouldn’t have a huge problem if they do it, but they better have a plan. If you tell me they flip that cap space for a Levi Wallace extension and another piece on offense (line or skill) and then they add a center in the draft, I’d be up for it. Then again, they may also move on from Wallace too depending how Dane plays down the stretch (can’t pay everyone). 

-Bease may depend on how he plays down the stretch. Yes, he didn’t do himself any favors with this regime with the vaccine distractions earlier this year (not because he chose to be unvaccinated, but that he was so relentlessly public about it). Those distractions put a lot on a player to perform. Otherwise you aren’t worth the aggravation. He’s been injured, but looked good and played great against the Bucs. Like old Bease. If he keeps that up with a big end of year, I think they may keep him. 

Addison is gone, same with Hughes.  You can bring one back if you deem it necessary for depth.

Star's cap savings with a release are only 4.25m which might not even be enough to find a suitable replacement.  

Wallace to me is good as gone unless his market craters and we can get him cheap again.  When they extended johnson it kinda became writing on the wall to me.

Bease isn't easily replaced with the 6M savings you would get. With a lowered cap a year ago 6M got you in the Sanders, Green, Cole, Watkins tier - either guys as old as bease, or injury prone.  While Bease has missed 0 time with the team and actually played through some injuries here.  Do we have a target to replace him?  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.