Jim Kubiak: Is Josh Allen the Bills' best running back? How tight end delay set up tying field goal

Another good read. I was thinking remember how beat up our receivers were last year come playoff time. 4 weeks to go and Josh is already limping..it’s going to be a tough go to put so much on his plate over the last stretch. 

Like Kubiak says in his last paragraph if Josh is our best running back then that’s a fundamental problem.  If he isn’t then why are we running him so much.. well I think we all know the answer to this. Beane better figure something out to better support Josh this off-season. 

https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/jim-kubiak-is-josh-allen-the-bills-best-running-back-how-tight-end-delay-set/article_4238fffe-5c64-11ec-82fd-ef237a44dbfc.amp.html

• Like (+1) 1

I really hope Beane can build a better OL and find a good RB to carry the load running the ball. Just think of how much more dangerous Allen will be with a solid OL and a good RB. Kelly had Thomas, Elway had Davis, Warner had Faulk, Aikman had Smith. Beane needs to find someone like that for Allen.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

3 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Not that Singletary is great, but the running game issue is at least 80% blocking…. If they spend a high pick on a RB it would be a waste. 

I would expect their 1st RD pick will be OL. Beane and McDermott see the issues with the line more than the fans do.

• Like (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Not that Singletary is great, but the running game issue is at least 80% blocking…. If they spend a high pick on a RB it would be a waste. 

I dont necessarily agree with that. I used to think RB's were only as good as their line but look at Najee Harris. He's still productive and Pitt's line is just as bad as ours. 

27 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Bobby Johnson needs to go. The number of free rushers we've seen this year is unheard of. The o-line has had trouble picking up stunts since last year, it killed us in the AFCCG. Time to bring in a coach that can protect the $250 million man.

we just get killed on them over and over. 

it’s coaching, scheme, and talent. All of the above.

12 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Almost everyone said run with Josh more last week. Lots of fun articles that he didn’t have enough designed runs. Articles talking about how they are trying to coach him to not run.

Everyone is mad today that he ran more this week. Classic. 

That was a lot of extra runs. When already getting pummeled. 

a couple extra at key moments isn’t the same as making him your primary back 

11 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Almost everyone said run with Josh more last week. Lots of fun articles that he didn’t have enough designed runs. Articles talking about how they are trying to coach him to not run.

Everyone is mad today that he ran more this week. Classic. 

Not that hard to understand.  Nobody wants their franchise QB exposed to more hits, but the woeful running game going on 4 years now makes running Josh a necessity.  Extremely frustrating that we’re still at this point.  And if I’m Pegula, somebody needs to be held accountable for putting his $240m investment in this predicament.  

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

a couple extra at key moments isn’t the same as making him your primary back 

Also, mixing them into the game plan from the start instead of relying on them out of desperation when down 24-3 would have allowed Allen to slide instead of needing him to fight for every last yard. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Greg S said:

I would expect their 1st RD pick will be OL. Beane and McDermott see the issues with the line more than the fans do.

I’ve heard multiple posters mention and I think I agree with them, I would much rather see them spend money in free agency on the oline. I do not trust this regime to develop our oline  talent.  Plus it sounds like there will be some high quality big uglies available.  

32 minutes ago, transient said:

Also, mixing them into the game plan from the start instead of relying on them out of desperation when down 24-3 would have allowed Allen to slide instead of needing him to fight for every last yard. 

This.  Although if you read the article, it's not so simple.  There are a lot of things Kubiak points out as plus plays in the 2nd half, where I'm left saying OK, why didn't we try that in the first half then? Runs are part of it but pre-snap movement, motion to create misdirecting flow, delayed releases in blocking and so forth.

• Thank you (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Bobby Johnson needs to go. The number of free rushers we've seen this year is unheard of. The o-line has had trouble picking up stunts since last year, it killed us in the AFCCG. Time to bring in a coach that can protect the $250 million man.

The stunts thing is key.  Kubiak makes a pretty good case that it's not simply the OL getting beaten (though that happens) but inability to install and execute a scheme that can account for disguised pressure - the guy on the L shows blitz, it's the guy on the R who actually blitzes.  Part of this is Allen needing somehow to pick this up, since the blitzer leaves a hole in the coverage behind him and "throw into the blitz" is axiomatic.  There's a mental processing need, where he has to be ready and able to flex from "OK, that DE on the left is coming after me" to "OK, that guy on the R is coming". 

It's been happening all season - I don't know if it's a coaching or preparation thing where maybe teams haven't put on film with other QBs what they're dialing up for Allen - but it has to be a scheme thing too, where we just don't have a plan to handle that.

Allen’s toughness, grit and leadership were both admirable and incredible at times. But, like a gas leak, the unwillingness to run the football with running backs is slowly killing the Bills’ offense and putting too much pressure on the production of just one man. Allen took a physical beating in this game, being sacked, scrambling for his life against the blitz, running quarterback sweeps and counters and ending up with a sprained foot.

On one hand, it is creatively refreshing to run the quarterback as many times as the Bills do. Allen is an extraordinary talent and why not use all that ability? On the other hand, the traditional formula for running the football with power comes from your running backs. The question that everyone is asking is this: Is Josh Allen the best running back on the Bills team? If he is, then there is a fundamental problem. If he isn’t the best option to run the football effectively, then why is he running so much?

Yep yep

19 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The stunts thing is key.  Kubiak makes a pretty good case that it's not simply the OL getting beaten (though that happens) but inability to install and execute a scheme that can account for disguised pressure - the guy on the L shows blitz, it's the guy on the R who actually blitzes.  Part of this is Allen needing somehow to pick this up, since the blitzer leaves a hole in the coverage behind him and "throw into the blitz" is axiomatic.  There's a mental processing need, where he has to be ready and able to flex from "OK, that DE on the left is coming after me" to "OK, that guy on the R is coming". 

It's been happening all season - I don't know if it's a coaching or preparation thing where maybe teams haven't put on film with other QBs what they're dialing up for Allen - but it has to be a scheme thing too, where we just don't have a plan to handle that.

How about we start with a coach that has been an Offensive line coach in the NFL before! Not some retread TE coach that spent 2 years before as the assistant OL coach. Guess what our OL has sucked for the past 4 years. Get a known commodity at OL coach and ditch the old retread players while your at it. Our plan was to bring back to OL that has ok success at pass blocking last year. And were terrible at run blocking!

1 hour ago, sunshynman said:

How about we start with a coach that has been an Offensive line coach in the NFL before! Not some retread TE coach that spent 2 years before as the assistant OL coach. Guess what our OL has sucked for the past 4 years. Get a known commodity at OL coach and ditch the old retread players while your at it. Our plan was to bring back to OL that has ok success at pass blocking last year. And were terrible at run blocking!

That's selling Bobby Johnson's experience a bit short

https://bufbills.com/player-bios/bobby_johnson.pdf

But the NFL is performance-based, and whether it's what Daboll schemes or his own coaching, the performance of the OL has been poor!

14 minutes ago, Billzgobowlin said:

I would tend to agree but why is Allen able to run pretty much whenever and the RBs struggle?

Vision is huge in a RB.  I'm not discounting the weaknesses in our O line, because it's there. Most of the time, I don't like the decisions our RBs make.  That's either vision or awareness.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.