James Webb Space Telescope And The Search For Our Distant Past

Tiberius

On 12/29/2021 at 7:46 PM, 4merper4mer said:

Then the countless years of being seen as a failure because despite many inevitable amazing scientific discoveries, it will discover zero evidence of intelligent aliens.  Because there are none.

You have a weird obsession with the idea of finding alien life. I suggest you temper your expectations.

• Agree 1

Good day for Webb.

Heat shield deployed properly, though some angst during the process as the sensors that indicated that its' cover had properly retracted and been stowed did not report a successful retraction.

Fortunately, other indicators and temp readings along the shield indicated it was properly positioned.

Now to separate and extend the five layers of shield and properly tension them.

Then onto the beginning of the optics positioning.

• Like (+1) 6

On 1/1/2022 at 8:25 AM, sherpa said:

Good day for Webb.

Heat shield deployed properly, though some angst during the process as the sensors that indicated that its' cover had properly retracted and been stowed did not report a successful retraction.

Fortunately, other indicators and temp readings along the shield indicated it was properly positioned.

Now to separate and extend the five layers of shield and properly tension them.

Then onto the beginning of the optics positioning.

Wow, must be a hectic and nerve wracking time for those in charge of getting it up and running 

So far, so good. The US space agency says the post-launch set-up of the new James Webb telescope has gone very well.

"As smoothly as we could have hoped for."

Engineering teams are in the middle of unpacking the observatory from its folded launch configuration to the layout needed for operations.

This involves the deployment of several structures, the most critical of which are Webb's mirrors and sun shield.

Monday saw the start of what is probably the most complex set of activities - the separation and tensioning of the five individual layers that make up the shield.

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-59863092

That link has a video of it separating from the space craft 

• Like (+1) 1

Are you guys aware that there were a lot of Canadians involved with this thing?  That can’t be good.

I watched a video on the project that I’m not allowed to post here because it prominently mentions a goal of the project being something that I’ve been told in this very thread is not part on the mission.  I’m staying away from that topic but the Canadian thing makes me worried.  Who knows though, space is almost as cold as Canada so maybe they brought something to the table.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, WhoTom said:

Canadian engineers designed and built the Shuttle Remote Manipulator System. That seemed to work okay.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadarm

Canada also gave us one of the coolest astronauts of all time: Chris Hadfield. I mean how cool is it to play the guitar and perform ‘Space Oddity’ while orbiting the earth at 17k miles per hour on the ISS? 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, 4merper4mer said:

Are you guys aware that there were a lot of Canadians involved with this thing?  That can’t be good.

I watched a video on the project that I’m not allowed to post here because it prominently mentions a goal of the project being something that I’ve been told in this very thread is not part on the mission.  I’m staying away from that topic but the Canadian thing makes me worried.  Who knows though, space is almost as cold as Canada so maybe they brought something to the table.

Yeah, this project has involved the US and 13 other countries. (Canada and the European Space agency.)

9 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

The answer is simple, they designed a jacket like the Canada Goose jackets you see all Canadians wearing for the telescope. 

Edited by Just Jack

Today was a very successful day as the Webb Space Telescope completed its deployment phase of the mission.

I can't wait to see what this thing is going to show us.

Astronomers and space fans around the world can breathe a sigh of relief: The James Webb Space Telescope is now fully deployed.

The $10 billion NASA observatory unfolded the second "wing" of its massive primary mirror today (Jan. 8), bringing the light-collecting structure up to its full size and marking the end of the mission's long, risky and ultra-complex deployment phase. 

https://www.space.com/james-webb-space-telescope-fully-deployed

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, Bad Things said:

Today was a very successful day as the Webb Space Telescope completed its deployment phase of the mission.

344 single points of failure, any one of which would have scuttled the entire project if any one of them did. 

Amazing. I’m proud of our species. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/nasa-s-webb-telescope-reaches-major-milestone-as-mirror-unfolds

NASA’s James Webb Space Telescope team fully deployed its 21-foot, gold-coated primary mirror, successfully completing the final stage of all major spacecraft deployments to prepare for science operations.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

On 1/9/2022 at 2:15 AM, Bad Things said:

Have to say this is a relief! Was not even thinking of the real scientific mission yet, just relieved it deployed. After the Hubble's problems and some other space craft having issues, this is a serious accomplishment 

• Like (+1) 3

January 10, 2021

Everyone,

In the mid-1990s an AURA/NASA 'HST & Beyond' Committee was convened. I was a member. Our charge: "to produce a new consensus vision of the long term goals of [space astronomy]."

One of the top recommendations in our report (https://bit.ly/3tabhTN) was a large infrared space telescope that would search for Earth-like planets & visit a time when galaxies & stars were young.

Two days ago and 25 years after the publication of our report, that scope finally fully opened its eyes. The last segment of its mirror was extended and successfully latched into place, marking the end of the deployment phase of the James Webb Space Telescope.

It was a ground-breaking day and a moment when the many years of hard work, on the part of the people who made this happen, seemed to them, I'm sure, no sacrifice at all. I know. I've been there.

JWST is now on its way to its final position at L2 and to fulfilling the dreams the astronomical community laid down a quarter of a century ago. The adventure has begun.

Often committee work is a waste of time. How sweet to know that, in this case, our work of long ago will soon yield gold. Stay tuned!

Best to all of you!

Carolyn Porco

Dr. Porco has been with NASA since the Voyager missions. She's been featured on a ton of astronomy documentaries and shows, and has co-authored more than 125 scientific papers. https://www.facebook.com/carolynporco

Edited by WhoTom
  • Thank you (+1) 1