James Webb Space Telescope And The Search For Our Distant Past

Tiberius

On 12/14/2021 at 7:10 PM, Bad Things said:

My brother played a part in the Hubble "fix", making some very high spec'd optics for it.

My brother flew that fix on “his” plane (he was a USAF Raven which are teams that handle plane security, among other things) to the launch site.

On 12/14/2021 at 7:10 PM, Bad Things said:
Edited by UConn James
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 hours ago, coloradobillsfan said:

I found this to be a pretty succinct video summary of all the stuff that has to go right over the '30 days of horror' 

It's stunning how much went into this, and how many things have to go right. I didn't think it was possible to root for anything more than getting the Bills in the playoffs - but I'm pulling for this to go smoothly more than that.

This would be a big leap.  Efforts like this give me faith in humanity.  

• Like (+1) 2

A poor weather forecast has pushed back the launch of the James Webb Space Telescope by a further day.

Concerns about high-level winds at the Kourou spaceport in French Guiana mean it won't now happen until 25 December.

Everything is set, though. A readiness review for the rocket and the observatory is complete, and launch teams have conducted their final rehearsal.

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-59754467

On 12/13/2021 at 1:53 PM, WhoTom said:

Every time you watch a Bills game on TV, you're experiencing the same thing on a smaller scale. It takes time for the cameras to convert the light to electricity, time to convert that signal to radio waves (or digitize it), time for the waves to reach the satellite and back (or your antenna) or for the digital signal to stream and reach your modem/router, etc.

So when you watch the Bills on TV in "real-time," there's a lag. In effect, you're seeing what happened a few seconds ago and, therefore, looking back in time.

Or if you're streaming, the TV is about 20 to 30 seconds behind my computer, so I have to turn the game off on my computer, because I'll yell "Touchdown" and my wife watching on the TV will be like "They haven't even broke out of the huddle! Shut up!"

• Haha (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, Draconator said:

Or if you're streaming, the TV is about 20 to 30 seconds behind my computer, so I have to turn the game off on my computer, because I'll yell "Touchdown" and my wife watching on the TV will be like "They haven't even broke out of the huddle! Shut up!"

image.thumb.jpeg.916fe2d4cd3a8433eab6bbfa8cb98e3c.jpeg

• Haha (+1) 2

On 12/16/2021 at 8:14 PM, Success said:

It's stunning how much went into this, and how many things have to go right. I didn't think it was possible to root for anything more than getting the Bills in the playoffs - but I'm pulling for this to go smoothly more than that.

This would be a big leap.  Efforts like this give me faith in humanity.  

You might appreciate this video as well. The sheer enthusiasm Dr. Mather has for his work is like the wonder of a child and it’s infectious. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

Then the fairing deployment 

Then the Solar Panels

Then the Lens and the “Sail” needs to be deployed. 

Then the countless years of being seen as a failure because despite many inevitable amazing scientific discoveries, it will discover zero evidence of intelligent aliens.  Because there are none.

2 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Then the countless years of being seen as a failure because despite many inevitable amazing scientific discoveries, it will discover zero evidence of intelligent aliens.  Because there are none.

While discovery of alien life would be interesting, that is not it’s mission. At all. If all goes well when it reaches its destination in six months and starts sending back the images it’s designed to deliver, it will be seen as one of the greatest scientific feats in history. Hell, the fact it was conceived, designed, built, and sent on its way makes it one already in my book. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

17 hours ago, K-9 said:

While discovery of alien life would be interesting, that is not it’s mission. At all. If all goes well when it reaches its destination in six months and starts sending back the images it’s designed to deliver, it will be seen as one of the greatest scientific feats in history. Hell, the fact it was conceived, designed, built, and sent on its way makes it one already in my book. 

Although I agree that really doesn’t matter.  The news reports about Webb, after an initial grace period, will all be alien false starts.  You’ll have to dig for the actual science and the false alien crapola will be endless.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.