Maybe we need a new RB coach

TC in St. Louis

I noticed that the Pats RB's would take immediate cuts into slight gaps, and then slash their way for 4-10 yards.  There have to be some slight openings at times that our guys go past looking for big holes....which may never open.  

This may be a coaching problem.  There are RBs all over the league with arguably less talent than our group....and they are gaining yards by making "business decisions."  

Who's teaching them?

Sure, our offensive line needs improvement.  But they can't be that much worse than average.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

6 minutes ago, TC in St. Louis said:

I noticed that the Pats RB's would take immediate cuts into slight gaps, and then slash their way for 4-10 yards.  There have to be some slight openings at times that our guys go past looking for big holes....which may never open.  

This may be a coaching problem.  There are RBs all over the league with arguably less talent than our group....and they are gaining yards by making "business decisions."  

Who's teaching them?

Sure, our offensive line needs improvement.  But they can't be that much worse than average.  

Problem is there is no gaps.  Brieda runs outside for a reason...

Edited by Billzgobowlin

Could be that Moss and Singletary have been over-coached to get north and south because neither has wheels. Seems like a rookie Zack Moss before the coaching and dog house issues would’ve bounced that run outside and got the TD from 6 yards out.

29 minutes ago, Billzgobowlin said:

Why needed more brieda in this game. Way less moss.

1 minute ago, JayBaller10 said:

Could be that Moss and Singletary have been over-coached to get north and south because neither has wheels. Seems like a rookie Zack Moss before the coaching and dog house issues would’ve bounced that run outside and got the TD from 6 yards out.

Better RB with vision would of see that. Plus his lack of speed.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, TC in St. Louis said:

Yeah - that's probably right - they are slightly worse than average.  Are you OK with that???

So sometimes against average and worse teams, they actually can run the ball well.

OTOH if you want to be able to run the ball well (and give Allen time in the pocket) against playoff level defenses, being worse than average is obviously not going to cut it.

As I've just said on another thread - the Bills haven't invested a 1st round pick on the offense except for Allen and Diggs.  Almost all of their real emphasis has been on the D. 

They made the absurd luxury move of taking TWO DE's with their first two picks (a year after spending their #2 on AJ Epenesa) while completely ignoring their interior offensive line which was the most glaring weakness last year.  Yeah they could have used a better pass rush in the AFC Championship, but what they really needed was a lot less of Josh running for his life.  Same story in the Houston playoff loss the prior year, and in the too tight playoff win against the Colts - good teams can blow them up from the middle, and no QB or RB is going to look good when that happens.

I was about to say "just imagine" but we don't have to - we've seen how really trash this OL gets when Brown (a 3rd rounder they really lucked into being an early starter) can't go and they have to use Williams at ORT and Ford at OG.   At that point they become a good bit worse than average and when they managed to win is was entirely on Allen.  

• Awesome! (+1) 2

If you get a chance to watch Cover 1’s film breakdown of the game, they show some representative instances where the Pats induced us into running into certain gaps that initially appeared open, but we’re designed to be quickly plugged by an off defender. What the tape shows is that there were actual alleys that resulted from the design of the “trap gap” that would have lead to some big gains, but we’re MUCH more difficult to spot for a back, particularly when right next door is an obvious gaping void. That’s some next level run D…

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

It could also be that a couple of 3rd round backs running behind a low-middle OL isn't going to cut it against good defenses?

Edited by BobChalmers
  • Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, TC in St. Louis said:

Who's teaching them?

I kind of think motor is like some of the old school backs in that he needs some carries to get into a rhythm the more he's used the better it seems he gets .

But they got Moss to be a compliment to motor Singletary being the guy that can cut on a dime and as they said make a guy miss in a phone booth & Moss is suppose to be the basher but he is only 207 lbs and most of the lighter LBers are 230 + not to mention the D linemen .

I would love to see them use Gilliam more he is 244 lbs weather it be as a lead blocking back for motor or just the guy on short yardage i think he would be able to bring up the physicality of the offense and that is what every one is saying the Bills lack so make it happen McD ...

2 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

I agree with you, but there's nothing wrong with 3rd round RBs, just have to select the right ones.

And assuming they're running behind a good OL, right?

What an elite(1st/2nd) RB can sometimes get you is a little more out of a lesser OL and some good mismatches once he gets past the line - but I would always start with the OL first - especially since we are also trying to protect a quarter billion dollar QB!

Edited by BobChalmers

Off the top of my head, I have no idea who our RB coach is? 

But, the way Brieda took that handoff, probably the first thing I learned in Pop Warner Football, may be a fireable offense.

Fundamentals are there for a reason.

Edited by D. L. Hot-Flamethrower
  • Like (+1) 1

There are average running backs in this league running behind average lines and making better cuts.  Look at Moss's decision to cut inside when all he had to do was go around the corner and waltz into the end zone.  

I agree 100% with the critiques of our drafting defense over OL help.  Instead of Basham, for example, we could've taken Creed Humphrey, who's doing great in KC.  They say that Wyatt Teller is the beneficiary of better OL coaching.  What does that say about Bobby Johnson?

Changes are coming.  That's for sure.  

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Billzgobowlin said:

There have been several missed opportunities, as with every RB.  But in our case, the opportunities are spread much further apart, so the missed chances are magnified.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.