Ticket Holders — How to Dress For Cold Rain?

elijah

In advance, I’m sorry for starting another weather thread. I truly am. 

But for longtime season ticket holders or game goers, what have you guys found best to dress in for cold rain? 

I’ve been going to 3 or 4 games a year consistently for maybe a decade now, but for the first time this year I have season tickets. Before I could just jump around and purchase games when I wanted and avoid the cold, rainy, windy days. Now, I’m going to every game and let me tell you the Colts game was BRUTAL. It was the first Bills game I ever left before the 4th quarter. 

Typically I would just layer up and get some hand warmers for the cold and call it a day and be content. But the rain and cold combined is a different animal, especially if you add wind. The layers get wet and you’re stuck in those same clothes and can never get warmer. 

Any suggestions? Habits that work well? 

2 minutes ago, elijah said:

But for longtime season ticket holders or game goers, what have you guys found best to dress in for cold rain? 

I’ve been going to 3 or 4 games a year consistently for maybe a decade now, but for the first time this year I have season tickets. Before I could just jump around and purchase games when I wanted and avoid the cold, rainy, windy days. Now, I’m going to every game and let me tell you the Colts game was BRUTAL. It was the first Bills game I ever left before the 4th quarter. 

Typically I would just layer up and get some hand warmers for the cold and call it a day and be content. But the rain and cold combined is a different animal, especially if you add wind. The layers get wet and you’re stuck in those same clothes and can never get warmer. 

Get totally bombed and go shirt-less. 

• Like (+1) 7
  • Haha (+1) 12
  • Awesome! (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Talley56 said:

I would recommend bringing a poncho.  I went to the Texans/Bills game which was in early October so it wasn't that cold but it was a downpour pretty much all game and my rain coat didn't hold up too well.  So definitely at least a poncho.

See the Houston game wasn’t that bad though because it was relatively warm, I gave up on my mission to stay dry by halftime and actually just took my hood off 

1 minute ago, Fallser said:

Get totally bombed and go shirt-less. 

We’ll make it halfway there

EDIT: Little side note to this actually — having season tickets I’ve been drinking less at the games because doing it so often just ruins Sunday’s and makes the game more of a chore than an enjoyable experience. To my complete surprise, without sarcasm, the experience for me has actually been better the less I drink. 

On one hand, it makes sense that understanding the game and noticing more rather than missing little details in your drunk delusion would be more enjoyable. But, what I completely didn’t expect, the crowd atmosphere is better and more enjoyable without being drunk. I’m always impressed by the noise and the crowd involvement of the game, and the crowd actually sounds louder and rowdier when I’ve consumed less. 

Edited by elijah
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Angry 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, elijah said:

Maybe some kid of rain gear?  I'm not good at this weather stuff, so I'm just guessing here...

• Eyeroll 2
  • Haha (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

When I was going to every game I had an oversized waterproof winter coat with a hood that I would wear for special cold/wet weather games.  I called it my "sleeping bag" coat because it went past my knees. I also had really good gloves.  I still use that combination when I use my snow blower after a big storm.   

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

Maybe some kid of rain gear?  I'm not good at this weather stuff, so I'm just guessing here...

Oh ***** my man you’re a genius! I forgot I had a rain coat at home that I totally didn’t specifically buy just because of these rainy Bills games, great idea! 

🤦‍♂️ 

Why the need for the sarcasm on this board all the time. The Colts game was unbearable even with rain gear. Just asking if anyone has found any sort of success or tips outside of rain gear that might help. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Dislike 1

The only way to deal with rain, wind and cold is layers, layers and layers.  Preferably topped off with something that will actually shed water / snow.  Getting wet down by your skin is what will really do you in.  Quality rain gear is key - somethign way better than a simple poncho - unless it's a really thick one.  Keep your hands covered and think about wearing some kind of mask or face gear.  Cover as much of your skin as you can - that'll help with the wind as well.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Suggest investing in some Under Armor or nice thermals if you don't already use them. Layer up for warmth and cover with a poncho. And people may roll their eyes...but wear a mask. Not for any COVID reasons....but they are really nice for warmth covering the face...amd most people have really nice looking Bills ones by now anyway.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I have a few thoughts.

Overdress.  Put on more layers you think you'll need.  Especially for a night game.  

Getting your clothes wet is the obvious problem.   So don't let them get wet.   Easier said than done.  

I've always envied the people who have serious bad weather gear - snowmobile outfits, for example.  They always look dry and warm.  

I wear waterproof boots, to be sure my socks and feet stay dry.  I wear long underwear, pants, and either rain or snow pants.  I wear a winter parka, which isn't completely waterproof, or a rain parka, both with hoods.   Multiple layers under that, and a hat under the hood.   Every part of my body gets two layers.  Even gloves.   You can buy silk or other thin gloves to wear inside your regular gloves - they make a big difference.   

Two layers or more everywhere gives you warmth and makes it less likely that the water will get to your skin. 

Finally, I bring a couple of plastic yard bags that you use for yard cleanup.  I cut the bottom off, so it's open.  Then when I get to my seats, I put on the bag like a skirt, using the tie string to hold it at my waist.  That way, when I sit down on the wet seat, the water isn't soaking into my pants.  That helps a lot.  It looks stupid, but I've completely given up on style points when dressing for that weather.   Dry and warm is all I'm shooting for, and if I look ridiculous, I don't really care. 

Nothing's perfect.  I've had games when I've stayed really dry and warm, and I've had games doing mostly the same things when I've been wet and wondering what I'm doing out there.   The more you plan for it, the better off you'll be.  If you do it right, you can enjoy the game.  

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, elijah said:

Oh ***** my man you’re a genius! I forgot I had a rain coat at home that I totally didn’t specifically buy just because of these rainy Bills games, great idea! 

🤦‍♂️

Why the need for the sarcasm on this board all the time. The Colts game was unbearable even with rain gear. Just asking if anyone has found any sort of success or tips outside of rain gear that might help. 

Sorry man...you started another weather thread (ignoring all of the others) to ask what to wear in the cold rain.

I felt it was ripe for sarcasm.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 3
  • Dislike 1

2 minutes ago, No Place To Hyde said:

Suggest investing in some Under Armor or nice thermals if you don't already use them. Layer up for warmth and cover with a poncho. And people may roll their eyes...but wear a mask. Not for any COVID reasons....but they are really nice for warmth covering the face...amd most people have really nice looking Bills ones by now anyway.

Mask!  Absolutely.  And neck covering.  You can wear all these layers and then have water run down your neck and your undershirt gets wet and then cold.  I always have a turtle neck shirt as one of my underlayers, and a knit sleeve - we gall them gaiters - that I pull over my head to cover my neck right up to the bottom of my chin.  The gaiter and the turtle neck generally keep the water out, and I have my parka or coat fastened all the way to the top.   Once again, no style points.  

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, elijah said:

🤦‍♂️

Why the need for any adult to start a thread asking how to dress for a cold, rainy day.

It's wet.  It's cold.

Figure it out.

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Disagree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

33 minutes ago, elijah said:

🤦‍♂️

he doesn’t like people talking the truth about how miserable football games can be when played in wet, windy and cold conditions.  Just shut up and deal with it like the cavemen did. Cavemen didn’t have the luxury of goretex, heaters and domes, why do you need them?  Toughen up weakboi

• Haha (+1) 4

'I've got some waterproof all-weather Bills gear that I've worn in cold wet weather conditions.  Don't sit on wet seats is my advice.  While it's too early to be precise with the forecast what I'm seeing on weather.com is the rain/snow is in the morning & afternoon and as the day goes on the precipitation is supposed to let up leaving the wind as the biggest problem.  So the rain might mess more with tailgating than being something to deal with during the game.

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.