Fantastic breakdown of Bills defensive gameplan versus the Chiefs and the warning to be very afraid of this D

Big Turk

It's funny, the Bills deployed a VERY similar scheme last year but they didn't have the DL talent and rotation to create pressure with 4, contain Mahomes and defend the run to counter. Bills dared them to run and they answered by daring the Bills to stop it, they couldn't. This time the Bills proved that running the ball against our defense, even in a 2 high safety look, was a mistake. What a difference a couple of extra playmakers and a healthier defense makes.

Really great read, thanks for sharing this!

• Like (+1) 3

17 minutes ago, uninja said:

It's funny, the Bills deployed a VERY similar scheme last year but they didn't have the DL talent and rotation to create pressure with 4, contain Mahomes and defend the run to counter. Bills dared them to run and they answered by daring the Bills to stop it, they couldn't. This time the Bills proved that running the ball against our defense, even in a 2 high safety look, was a mistake. What a difference a couple of extra playmakers and a healthier defense makes.

The Chiefs also were able to run on the Dline which in my opinion made the difference. The Bills front four was able to hold the running game in check. Whereas in 2020 KC was just getting huge chunks on the ground and stuck with it.

56 minutes ago, uninja said:

Our run D is very much improved...Star has been a huge help in this and once again shows why he is so valuable...

He prevents teams from taking advantage of playing deep coverage by running the ball effectively. They have to basically attempt to throw and play into our hands.

• Like (+1) 1

I have a friend who is a Tampa fan (I know, I constantly have to re-evaluate this friendship), and they texted me that the Bills were following Tampa's SB blueprint on how to beat the Chiefs. I told them that, no, Tampa was following our blueprint from last year's regular season game. We just didn't have the personnel to make it work. We agreed to disagree.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, DallasBillsFan1 said:

Now, how do we stop Derrick Henry next Monday?!?

Well hopefully we get a good enough lead that they have to move away from the run somewhat. The Titans line is supposed to be banged up so if we can stop the run enough to force some 3rd and longs, then get after Tanny, we should be able to get them off the field.

2 hours ago, Coastie said:

Very good read, I wish I understood the game well enough to appreciate what this defense is doing.

Basically they disguise coverages very well and simply execute the defense as a whole on a level not often seen. All the parts work together within the play perfectly more often than not.

Currently they are playing a lot of 2 deep coverage which prevent deep throws, but also have the DLine and LBs to prevent teams from effectively "running them out of it" since they are among the best teams in the league at run defense also.

The Bills tried to do this in the first meeting last year with KC but KC was able to continuously gash them with runs.  This year, their runs were mostly ineffective as they didn't gain enough yardage to make it worthwhile, so they just gave up trying.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Isn’t it sweet that the story this year is not about Josh Allen and the offense? Seriously, JA and the offense are worthy of the attention but this D - they’re simply lights out so far this season. Let’s hope they keep it up.

11 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

Isn’t it sweet that the story this year is not about Josh Allen and the offense? Seriously, JA and the offense are worthy of the attention but this D - they’re simply lights out so far this season. Let’s hope they keep it up.

The scary thing is I think the offense has just been OK to slightly above average this year.  And they are still steamrolling teams. Once the offense get back on track and I have no reason to believe it won't, we could start seeing some college scores with the number of lackluster teams the Bills have left on their schedule which is easiest remaining schedule in the NFL by a good margin.  Dolphins are 2nd easiest, but at 1-4 and without much of anything on offense or defense, I don't see them being able to take advantage of it...

Edited by Big Turk

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.