Game Thread: MNF Colts @ Ravens

PromoTheRobot

49 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I said they are jealous of the media’s love for him and lack there of with Allen…. I think that’s where a lot of the bashing of him comes from…. And the fact that they were both taken from the same draft. 

does the media really love him that much?  any more than josh?

42 minutes ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

Not really my “take” 

just the facts to the reason why folks hate on Lamar round these “football educated” parts of WNY.

bottom line…Mafia fans can’t tand if buffalo is not 100% loved and their WNY inferiority complex only drives it up further.

simple really.

this is actually nothing more than a take.  your take, as most of your takes are typically negative towards bills fan in general.  

7 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think he didn't trust Wentz to make a play. Same as Stefanski and Baker on Sunday. Rather run the ball, eat clock and act like it is 1978. 

Colts have one win. There was nothing to be gained by playing scared, except another L. Those players got you the big lead. Calling plays like you don't trust them is demoralizing. That loss is on Reich.

1 minute ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Colts have one win. There was nothing to be gained by playing scared, except another L. Those players got you the big lead. Calling plays like you don't trust them is demoralizing. That loss is on Reich.

It is on Reich and their defense. After the first quarter once the Ravens worked out what the Colts were doing they had no issue moving the ball and only Ravens mistakes stopped them. 

8 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Colts defensive backfield is terrible. Colts' path to victory would have been scoring a LOT of points as cover for the poor secondary. This is not to take away from Jackson's performance. He has improved as a passer since last year

1 hour ago, Mango said:

Lamar was the better player for the Ravens in 18 and 19 than Josh was for the Bills. 

Josh is non-traditional, in that he is a throwback. But you watch him play and you go, "oh Cam" or"that reminded me of Favre or Elway". Josh also has a super non-traditional path through college, and pro progression. Anybody who said they knew Josh would be the guy he is now is full of poo. He is an absolute one in a million story. The fact  that he is playing the way he is given how he played in college and when he first came into the league is remarkable. Teams should not try and replicate it, it is a waste of time and resources. The dude is all moxy, all guts, a total dawg, and I love that I am here for it. 

Lamar does not really have any peers as a QB in the NFL, I think it makes it tough for people to wrap their head around whether he is good or bad. 

Would I trade Josh for Lamar? No absolutely not. But the guy is a great player in the league right now. Maybe not to you, but to the board, it does seem like it has become popular to parrot, "but he's just a running back" or, "not a good enough passer", like he is Tim Tebow or some nonsense.  The guy is a proficient passer. 

I agree with this.  Lamar Jackson is so unconventional as an NFL QB operating out of a unique offensive scheme that you have to put him on an island when evaluating QB's.  He has been incredibly productive running this offense and his passing, while unconventional, has been spectacular at times.  That what the ravens are doing has been successful - to a point - is indisputable.  But the bigger questions looming for the Ravens can not be ignored here:

*  How long can Jackson go before the body takes a beating that slows him down?  Sure he is magical at avoiding hits but last night he did take shots to the legs.  Does anyone believe he's on course to last 5 more years? 

*  The Ravens failures in the playoffs can not be brushed over.  Jackson has been bad to average in these games.  Baltimore is 1 - 3 despite having two home games (both they lost). 

*  Because of the way he plays Jackson can be careless with the ball.  The only reason his goal line fumble didn't spell doom last night was that the Colts lost their entire starting defensive backfield.  Going pack to the pick 6 against Buffalo, two fumbles against the Raiders that cost the Ravens that game; a pick six against the chiefs and last nights fumble Jackson plays the game like a high wire act.

Baltimore faces a daunting challenge in how to structure Jackson's next deal.  If hey don't give him an Allen type deal he might walk. If they sign him to the big bucks are we sure he will last 6 more years playing at this elite level?  And given the uniqueness of the Ravens offense does an Allen like contract for Jackson mean that the Ravens are locked into Harbaugh & Roman for 6 more years? 

My guess is that the Ravens will follow the Cowboys example and string Jackson along with Franchise designations.  It will cost them more but they will avoid a long term deal for the next couple of years.  And Jackson will make his money which only seems fair given his play.

8 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

Colts defensive backfield is terrible. Colts' path to victory would have been scoring a LOT of points as cover for the poor secondary. This is not to take away from Jackson's performance. He has improved as a passer since last year

They were also playing like sixth string players at DB last night. I'm still baffled as to why they stopped throwing; they were having success throwing to Pittman, for one. 

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Great culture, great coaching and one of the most dynamic playmakers in the league at Quarterback. They are just really well run top to bottom. 

Definitely not the same old Ravens D, though...that's where they are vulnerable.

10 hours ago, Paulus said:

Still want to see this video... You might be wrong, after all.

I know when they showed the replay right after, it clearly looked like the knee was down before the ball was punched out.   All the commentators agreed.  Yes...that shot doesn't show his knee being down, but you also don't see Lamar's right hand still in control of the ball.

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

It is on Reich and their defense. After the first quarter once the Ravens worked out what the Colts were doing they had no issue moving the ball and only Ravens mistakes stopped them. 

You do realize you are making my point?

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I am not sure how anyone can be so certain of that. Do I think you are more likely to win one with a Josh Allen or a Justin Herbert or a Mahomes? Yes. But am I going to say I don't think Lamar could ever win one? No. Especially not on such a well run organisation. Baltimore's path to a Lombardi is more narrow because their playing style is so specific, but there remains a path. For them to be 4-1 with the injuries they have this year is testament to everyone involved, including Jackson. The dude is balling. 

I don't think he will.  Doesn't mean he won't.  I think it would have to be a perfect storm of matchups though.  Jackson balls every year.  He is an amazing athlete.  Year after year the teams that can take away his running ability and maintain coverage on Anderson have shut their offense down. Last year he barely got past the Titans and he was terrible against the Bills.  The year before he was bad against the Titans.

They are 4-1 playing the Colts, Broncos, Lions, Chiefs, and Raiders.  Lions are garbage.  Broncos are pretenders.  Colts are mediocre. Raiders they lost to but I think the raiders were playing above their means.  Chiefs are still very good but aren't playing like the Chiefs of the last two seasons.  They were neck and neck in 4 of the 5 games and he turned over the ball 6 times while having 2 more recovered fumbles on top of that.  He has 8 passing TDs and 4 of those came week 1.

The team has suffered a lot of injuries so yes.  It doesn't really show on offense because Lamar is what makes that running game go paired with Roman.  They don't need a crazy RB on that team because of that. They did a good job getting to 4-1.  They have a stellar organization there but I don't think they did anything amazing.

Also Lamar who is the same guy that plays amazing towards the back half of the game and brings them back... is the same guy responsible for putting them in the hole a lot of times.  He might be more careless with the ball than Josh was in the past.  

Edited by Scott7975
  • Disagree 1

5 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Oh please. Id take Allen 100% over Lamar. No question in my mind he is the better QB… I just find it funny a lot Bills fans look for every which way they can to bash him. You can be critical of Lamar without hyperbole…. There was literally a thread on here that the Lamar Jackson era is over. 😅

He’s still a top QB in the game in his own unique playing style. 

I think you are 100 accurate. Last night's game made me think of the some of the bills fans that were trashing him. 

10 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

His knee was down before that screenshot.  

(earlier ITT) The accusation is that he wasn't touched when his knee hit the ground, thus his extra lunge.

The rebuttal is that he gave himself up.

However, the officials did not place the ball where they should have, if giving himself was their reasoning. This indicates that "giving himself up" was not the reason for calling him down by contact.

That makes the call wrong, on the field.

1 hour ago, Paulus said:

(earlier ITT) The accusation is that he wasn't touched when his knee hit the ground, thus his extra lunge.

The rebuttal is that he gave himself up.

However, the officials did not place the ball where they should have, if giving himself was their reasoning. This indicates that "giving himself up" was not the reason for calling him down by contact.

That makes the call wrong, on the field.

Id have to see the replay.  If he is tripped up by a defender then he is down by contact as soon as his knee touches the ground.  Still images don't tell a full story

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Scott7975 said:

Id have to see the replay.  If he is tripped up by a defender then he is down by contact as soon as his knee touches the ground.  Still images don't tell a full story

I think he is officially down as he dove head first. But, they marked the spot wrong, in that case.

11 hours ago, Paulus said:

I think he is officially down as he dove head first. But, they marked the spot wrong, in that case.

Yeah if he dove he is down as well.  I thought at game time that they spotted the ball wrong but didn't catch the replay.  Chances are they score regardless.

14 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

I don’t have a problem with it. Bash Lamar all you want. I just find it odd, because he’s a really good player…. I usually bash players on the Bills that don’t play well or aren’t good. 

As if you don't live in the moment.  Perhaps you would like a review of your GDT posts throughout the game?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.