16 out of 19 - Players drafted in rounds 1-4(‘ish) since 2017 who made contributions last night

BuffaloBill

Say what you want, but the Bills have been absolutely on the mark with draft picks in rounds 1-4 since 2017. Look at the contributions of the following in last night’s game:

Rd 1 Rosseau (starter)

Rd 2 Basham (emerging rotational player)

Rd 3 Brown (starter)

Rd 4 no pick

Rd 1 no pick (Diggs - well worth the trade)

Rd 2 Epenesa (emerging rotational player / starter)

Rd 3 Zach Moss (Starter 1A/!B)

Rd 4 Gabriel Davis (strong contributor and likely future starter)

Rd 1  Oliver (starter and maybe going to reach his hype)

Rd 2 Ford (oh well - maybe the Bills missed here though he was a starter)

Rd 3 Singletary (see Moss - starter 1A / !B)

Rd 3 Knox (Starter and showing upside)

Rd 4 no pick

Rd 1 Allen (no comment needed)

Rd 1 Edmunds (I know many argue but has been very strong in coverage)

Rd 3 Phillips (was a starter pre-injury - appears to now not be the same player)

Rd 4 Taron Johnson (Strong contributor in very solid secondary)

Rd 5 Neal (Ok 5th rounder but - ST and other contributor)

Rd 1 White (Among the best at his craft in the league)

Rd 2 Jones (oh welll a whiff here)

Rd 2 Dion Dawkins (Starter)

Rd 3 No Pick

Rd 4 No Pick

Rd 5 Milano (OK 5th rounder but - starter and before the injury this year arguably best LB in the league) 

Of the list above only the following did not contribute last night:

- Zay Jones - off the team

- Ford - lost starting job

- Milano - due to injury

Tell me that is not some top notch drafting by Beane and friends. This is how a team is built.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The Bills drafting has been special and their work in free agency has been good too.

Mongo has started two seasons at a least a league average level and was a complete bargain his first two years. Beasley is one of the best slot receivers in the league. Sanders has replaced Browns production while adding a dynamic that was needed. Hyde and Poyer are arguably the best signings in the teams history. D Williams was also a steal last year and has helped the Oline. 

The team paid retail for Mitch and Star but both have played valuable roles and are restructured to be more reflective of their value. Even Addison is catching on better this season after they restructured him. Even past signings like John Brown and Haush had value and weren’t cap burdens. 

Feels great to be such a well run team.

Edited by billsfan89

3 minutes ago, dneveu said:

Phillips didn't work out, but zimmer as a PS waiver grab has turned into a solid rotational player.  His athleticism chasing down mahomes on some of those scramble plays is ridiculous - mahomes seemed shocked that this DT was possibly even faster than he was.

I love Zimmer - he is the underdog with an attitude.

7 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

The Bills drafting has been special and their work in free agency has been good too.

Mongo has started two seasons at a least a league average level and was a complete bargain his first two years. Beasley is one of the best slot receivers in the league. Sanders has replaced Browns production while adding a dynamic that was needed. Hyde and Poyer are arguably the best signings in the teams history. D Williams was also a steal last year and has helped the Oline. 

The team paid retail for Mitch and Star but both have played valuable roles and are restructured to be more reflective of their value. Even Addison is catching on better this season after they restructured him. Even past signings like John Brown and Haush had value and weren’t cap burdens. 

Feels great to be such a well run team.

Hyde and Poyer are amongst the Bills' all time great FA signings

• Agree 2

3 minutes ago, Utah John said:

Compare this record of drafting with what the Bills used to do.  Almost none of their top picks lasted in the league.

Better yet, don't go back and check.  You'll just spoil the happy vibe.

It's certainly a far cry from the Torrell Troupes and John McCargos....

• Vomit 2

And then when you add in the free agent/trade acquisition contributors, the roster building looks even MORE impressive.

Hyde
Poyer
Diggs
Sanders
Beasley
Morse
Feliciano
Williams
Lotulelei
Klein
Addison

Pretty, pretty, prettttttty good!

The thing I like most is no matter how good they are, they are still always looking to improve and are not afraid to make moves they think will help in that regard like benching Ford and moving Williams to guard to let Brown play RT.

Bills looked pretty good for the most part on the OLine yesterday.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dneveu said:

Phillips didn't work out, but zimmer as a PS waiver grab has turned into a solid rotational player.  His athleticism chasing down mahomes on some of those scramble plays is ridiculous - mahomes seemed shocked that this DT was possibly even faster than he was.

I am not writing off Phillips he has looked a lot better this season. He isn’t looking like he did early in 2019 but he is always solid whenever I see him out there. I think he will easily turn in a productive season, he has graded out well from PFF and Football Outsiders in 2021 for what that’s worth.

I don’t know if he will stay with the team but he will at worst have been a contributing player who might possibly net this team a comp pick not the worst draft pick even if I would have liked a bit more from him. Sadly I think his 2019 injury really set him back.

You forgot Phillips.  He will find it hard to see the field the rest of the way and likely will not be on the team next season.  

I'd add Epenesa as at least disappointing.  He has had one very good game against Miami and otherwise has not been much of a factor this season or last.  

You also left off Bass who has been great . I guess 6 is too low to be 4ish...lol

3 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

Say what you want, but the Bills have been absolutely on the mark with draft picks in rounds 1-4 since 2017. Look at the contributions of the following in last night’s game:

Rd 1 Rosseau (starter)

Rd 2 Basham (emerging rotational player)

Rd 3 Brown (starter)

Rd 4 no pick

Rd 1 no pick (Diggs - well worth the trade)

Rd 2 Epenesa (emerging rotational player / starter)

Rd 3 Zach Moss (Starter 1A/!B)

Rd 4 Gabriel Davis (strong contributor and likely future starter)

Rd 1  Oliver (starter and maybe going to reach his hype)

Rd 2 Ford (oh well - maybe the Bills missed here though he was a starter)

Rd 3 Singletary (see Moss - starter 1A / !B)

Rd 3 Knox (Starter and showing upside)

Rd 4 no pick

Rd 1 Allen (no comment needed)

Rd 1 Edmunds (I know many argue but has been very strong in coverage)

Rd 3 Phillips (was a starter pre-injury - appears to now not be the same player)

Rd 4 Taron Johnson (Strong contributor in very solid secondary)

Rd 5 Neal (Ok 5th rounder but - ST and other contributor)

Rd 1 White (Among the best at his craft in the league)

Rd 2 Jones (oh welll a whiff here)

Rd 2 Dion Dawkins (Starter)

Rd 3 No Pick

Rd 4 No Pick

Rd 5 Milano (OK 5th rounder but - starter and before the injury this year arguably best LB in the league) 

Of the list above only the following did not contribute last night:

- Zay Jones - off the team

- Ford - lost starting job

- Milano - due to injury

Tell me that is not some top notch drafting by Beane and friends. This is how a team is built.

No love for Tyler Bass, arguably Beane's best pick last year?  If the Bills get to and win the Super Bowl, I can pretty much guaranty Bass will have played a very significant part...

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.