The Edmunds Report - Week 3, WTF's v. Bills, 09/26/21

Freddie's Dead

11 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

Heā€™s not so different in his role from someone like Fred Warner.Ā 

Itā€™sĀ really not close.Ā 

8 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

My only memories of Warner are him being burned by passes from Allen last year and Rodgers last week.Ā 

Ā 

Imagine the hot takes fans had on him, lol.

Exactly. Some fans would rather have occasional highlight plays than a player teams need to scheme around and help teammates succeed.Ā 

11 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Ā 

Ā 

Tell me about other LB's.

Ā 

I've gone into detail on the differences between Edmunds and the best. Ā  Ā I've illustrated how others make plays given similar responsibilities. Ā  Ā 

Ā 

We will always have a group of homers like yourself on here who don't follow the rest of the league but want to tell everyone how unique what a certain Bills player brings to the table is.

Ā 

He's a good player..........but unfortunately his trajectory is a lot like Tyrod Taylor at QB.........Tyrod threw for more yards per attempt in 2015 than Josh Allen did last year........Edmunds came out the box making plays...........but in the process of trying to be more responsible they both lost that big play ability.

Ā 

Maybe Edmunds was destined to become a small play MLB once teams got tape on him............but I think more likely he just hasn't been able to combine all of the mental aspects of the game and still be able to play a style that's conducive to playmaking.

Ā 

That's why I say I am still hopeful that the game slows down for him. Ā  But 49 starts and 3000 snaps is A LOT of time to wait.

Ā 

i stopped reading when you compared TE to Tyrod Taylor. Thatā€™s absurd, bordering on a psychotic crusade.Ā 

• Dislike 1

56 minutes ago, Max Fischer said:

Itā€™sĀ really not close.Ā 

Exactly. Some fans would rather have occasional highlight plays than a player teams need to scheme around and help teammates succeed.Ā 

i stopped reading when you compared TE to Tyrod Taylor. Thatā€™s absurd, bordering on a psychotic crusade.Ā 

Whatā€™s really not close?

56 minutes ago, Max Fischer said:

Ā 

Ā 

You mean like me when you said Edmunds was the unicorn of LB's? Ā 

Ā 

The ***** screwballs we get on this site.Ā :lol:

8 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Ā 

Ā 

You mean like me when you said Edmunds was the unicorn of LB's? Ā 

Ā 

The ***** screwballs we get on this site.Ā :lol:

Ā 

You may not know, but unicorn means different. And yes, Frazier and McDermott ask TE to play MLB a much different style than fans are used to seeing. The game has changed and the Bills could be ahead of the curve defending a pass-heavy league. It's what you and other TE haters can't seemed to comprehend.Ā 

Ā 

Thatā€™s just one reason your comparison of TE to Tyrod Taylor is absurd. Carry on with your crusade.Ā 

6 hours ago, Max Fischer said:

Ā 

You may not know, but unicorn means different. And yes, Frazier and McDermott ask TE to play MLB a much different style than fans are used to seeing. The game has changed and the Bills could be ahead of the curve defending a pass-heavy league. It's what you and other TE haters can't seemed to comprehend.Ā 

Ā 

Thatā€™s just one reason your comparison of TE to Tyrod Taylor is absurd. Carry on with your crusade.Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Actually unicorns are mythical........which is what the legend of Edmunds uniqueness is.......so I stand self-corrected.Ā :beer:

Ā 

WE actually are used to seeing the style of MLB that Edmunds plays............nobody uses run-defense first LB's anymore.........they all have a lot of coverage responsiblity.

Ā 

They are also all quite helpless against a great QB unless they get great pass rush.............which is why it's a significantly devalued position. Ā  Ā With rare exception, your Island positions on defense ultimately determine the effectiveness against top QB's.

Ā 

Paying any MLB/ILB in the $20M aav range is a dubious decision and if using a mid-first round pick on one they had better play at an All Pro level. Ā  Ā 

Ā 

Deterring the QB from taking hole shot in cover 2 is a nice trait..........but QB's have subsituted that throw for others that directly attack Edmunds himself.........which is why he's been rung up for a QB rating well over 100, Ā allowed 4 passing TD's and a ghastly 12 yards per completion since the beginning of 2020. Ā 

Ā 

To be elite you gotta' do more than Tremaine has.

Ā 

So I can see not expecting Edmunds to be terribly impactful against the Chiefs.............he was awful in the AFCCG...........but it's the games against rookies and journeyman and washed up 40 year olds where he should be able to make plays. Ā  Ā  Tomorrow is his 4th shot at a scrub QB this season.......this is where you want your 1st round MLB to make an impact.

Ā 

As for me being on a crusade against Edmunds........like I said, Ā he's a top 10-12 MLB/ILB..........it's hardly a campaign of bashing.........his own coaches acknowledge that he doesn't make enough plays.

Ā 

Ā 

• Like (+1) 2

I do realize that its not the same defence and positional responsibility, but Devin White is being criticized by some and excoriated by others in TB because although everyone acknowledges that he is pretty much "doing his job" the "impact" plays have been noticeably lacking. I guess when a LB is taken top 5 something more is expected than basic fare.

I wonder if Kueckly playing the same position as Tremaine in the same defence with a stud OLB next to him was as polarizing a figure in Carolina. Somehow I don't remember any of that.

Ā 

Edited by starrymessenger
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, starrymessenger said:

I do realize that its not the same defence and positional responsibility, but Devin White is being criticized by some and excoriated by others in TB because although everyone acknowledges that he is pretty much "doing his job" the "impact" plays have been noticeably lacking. I guess when a LB is taken top 5 something more is expected than basic fare.

I wonder if Kueckly playing the same position as Tremaine in the same defence with a stud OLB next to him was as polarizing a figure in Carolina. Somehow I don't remember any of that.

Ā 

From what I remember, Luke had great instincts and was all over the field and got interceptions and forced fumbles. I donā€™t really see any resemblance. Carolinaā€™s D line was much better tho. They could apply pressure right up the middle with players like Charles Johnson, etc.

10 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

The two go hand in hand

Ā 

To an extent, yea. But they still looked overmatched against our backups.Ā 

Ā 

Not trying to take anything away from Tremaine. You can only play the team on the other side and he had an excellent game.