Tom Sestak Belongs in the HOF!!

Did you know . . .

During the 1960s, only six professional defensive linemen were unanimous All-League selections for three or more years, Sestak (3), Bob Lily (5), Merlin Olsen (4), Willie Davis (3), Gino Marchetti (3), and Deacon Jones (3). The latter five, all former NFL players, have already been inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame, while Sestak, a star from the AFL, like many other AFL players has been ignored by the Hall of Fame selectors. He was named to the First Team for his position at defensive tackle, along with Houston Antwine. In contrast, Buck Buchanan (a Second Team selection) is a Hall of Famer while Sestak is not.

In January 1970, Sestak was selected as a member of the All-Time All-AFL Team, and in 2009 as a member of the Bills' 50th Anniversary Team.  In 2019, despite not being in the Pro Football Hall of Fame, he was chosen as a finalist for the NFL’s 100th Anniversary Team.

Old time players really get shafted.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 6

He once played a full season with three broken ribs.  Another time, he hit a guy so hard that Sestak suffered a concussion - teammates said he was actually asleep on the field, snoring.  His knees were so bad at the end of his career, he didn't even practice any more but still burned with a desire to play.  So he sat on a stationary bike all week and then suited up and played on Sunday.  He was the third Bill to be honored on the Wall of Fame, behind OJ and Kemp.   The Hall of Fame awaits.  

Larry Felser:  

"As the rookies came in every year, the cabs dropped them off and they’d check in.  I was sitting there one evening and this guy gets out of the cab, and the guy would make Superman look like a ballet dancer.  Harvey Johnson, the chief scout, was sitting next to me and I said ‘Who the hell is this guy?'  It was Sestak."

Ed Abramoski:

"He was probably the toughest player in my 37 years as a trainer for the Bills."

Todd Tobias (AFL historian):

"One of two defensive tackles on the league’s All-Time Team (Houston Antwine is the other), Tom Sestak ravaged offensive lines throughout the AFL.  Sestak was that rare combination of size, speed, strength and heart.  In addition, his threshold for pain was nearly off the charts.  He was the measuring stick for his position in the 1960s."

Ted Brevelle (college teammate):

“The first days, he looked like a mountain out there to me.  I remember he had the biggest calves and the biggest legs I had ever seen.”

Paul Maguire (Bills teammate):

“He was absolutely superb.  But the best way anybody can describe him was a great friend to all of us. The first time I ever met him, in training camp in ’64, he damn near broke my hand when I shook it. You knew you had a friend, from the first time I met the guy. And it never changed. He was that kind of guy. Not one bad thing was said about this guy by anyone, ever. And if they did, they sure as hell never said it to his face.”

• Awesome! (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Gale Sayers played 5 full seasons 7 total and is in the HOF.

Sestak played 7 total, only missed 2 games in those 7 years, had 52 sacks as an interior DL.

Sestak would be a shoo in for Canton had he not been felled by injury.

Sayers is in Canton, and his career was cut short by injury.  Anti AFL bias for sure.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Never NEVER Give-up said:

Did you know . . .

During the 1960s, only six professional defensive linemen were unanimous All-League selections for three or more years, Sestak (3), Bob Lily (5), Merlin Olsen (4), Willie Davis (3), Gino Marchetti (3), and Deacon Jones (3). The latter five, all former NFL players, have already been inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame, while Sestak, a star from the AFL, like many other AFL players has been ignored by the Hall of Fame selectors. He was named to the First Team for his position at defensive tackle, along with Houston Antwine. In contrast, Buck Buchanan (a Second Team selection) is a Hall of Famer while Sestak is not.

In January 1970, Sestak was selected as a member of the All-Time All-AFL Team, and in 2009 as a member of the Bills' 50th Anniversary Team.  In 2019, despite not being in the Pro Football Hall of Fame, he was chosen as a finalist for the NFL’s 100th Anniversary Team.

Old time players really get shafted.

Nah.

It took Buchanan (AFL player who played 166 straight starts, 182 overall) 15 years after his retirement to get into the HOF.  

13 players on the AFL All-Time Team are in the HOF (including 10 of the 22 1st Teamers)...

Agree, shortened career, dominant force when healthy and most important, a super nice guy.. As a  person who worked for Erie county, Tom Sestak did too upon the closing of the Restaurant . You would never have known the guy was early AFL  star.. and unfortunately , died too soon.

Edited by dwight in philly
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

Larry Felser had a lot of clout among the pro football writers.  It was Felser's campaigning that got Billy Shaw into the HOF (that, and the fact that Shaw was a great great player).  None of the current or recent writers had that same amount of clout, and no one has taken on the challenge of getting Sestak the recognition he deserved. 

Great Post! I never saw him, too young, but heard my Dad talk about him with reverance. He had 15.5 sacks as a DT in 1964, on a defense that gave up just over 900 yards rushing, and won the league championship. Kinda sounds like the Aaron Donald of his time, too bad he's not in. Too bad some can't appreciate anything sports related that hasn't happened in the last year.

Edited by D. L. Hot-Flamethrower
  • Agree 1

Ah yes, ole #87, great Tight End for tiny McNeese State college in Lake Charles, LA. 

Still revered there and is on the Mural Wall at a local greasy spoon diner. 

I gotta order that jersey!

Thank you, Tom, for the great memories!

Gone Way too soon.