Picking up Edmunds Option a Rare Beane Mistake

Billy Zabka

1 minute ago, Governor said:

I think we can get to next season with him, just at a reduced game-specific role.

I can picture what the coaches “want” Edmunds to be, but it just isn’t going to happen.

There also has to be a better replacement, otherwise we’ll just have to accept that teams will run and pass right at Edmunds down the stretch of each season. 

If this season so far is what it looks like when they run and pass at him, then I will happily accept a top 5 defense, and I’ll see you in February now that josh is back. 

Not sure I understand the negativity regarding Edmunds today. I believe he lead the team in tackles, one more than Milano and also batted down a pass.   Is anyone directing the same level of criticism to Hughes based upon what he’s being paid and being MIA thus far. It’s amazing what some want to complain about.

• Like (+1) 2

51 minutes ago, Max Fischer said:

Logic dictates that Edmunds is playing the way Frazier and McDermott want him to play. He's style/role hasn't changed much in for four seasons. Despite the constant fan meltdowns his coaches continue to praise him, teammates say he's their leader and he's been voted to the Pro Bowl the past two years. Maybe, just maybe, Edmunds is doing what he's supposed to do. 

Who haven’t they praised?  Anyone?

16 minutes ago, State Rt. 21 N. said:

These negative type threads get so tiresome after awhile. If Edmonds cant play up to your standards then why not give Brando Bean  a call and ask for a tryout. I just don't  understand  what purpose this serves.    

You clearly don’t understand what the purpose of a message board is.  

• Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, TFBillsfan said:

Not sure I understand the negativity regarding Edmunds today. I believe he lead the team in tackles, one more than Milano and also batted down a pass.   Is anyone directing the same level of criticism to Hughes based upon what he’s being paid and being MIA thus far. It’s amazing what some want to complain about.

Because this place likes to B word about someone

48 minutes ago, Governor said:

I don’t know what to do for this season. We just have to hope he doesn’t cost us games. You can’t let an experiment sink the entire team. McD/Frazier defenses have always been torched by TE’s and down the seam. I get it. I see the process.

Edmunds just can’t play football. We need to draft/sign another version of that player that can actually play and finish the experiment.

I’m glad you brought the “torched by TEs” thing because through 3 games the best stat line a TE has posted against us is 4 catches for 40 yards. Mr. Edmunds has played a part in that. 

And we’ve played some good freaking TEs so far

Assuming that his career continues to ply out the way it has, the Bills have a REALLY tough decision when it comes to re-signing him and I think it will come down to money.   

In a perfect world, I have no doubt that the the team would want to bring him back.  The problem is, he’s likely going to a demand a top tier LB contract.  I could be wrong but I don’t think the Bills will give him that kind of deal - especially when Josh’s contract kicks and other players like Diggs get new deals.  

Of course, he has two years to change the narrative but if I had to put money on it, I’d bet that he continues be to a good, not great MLB

30 minutes ago, TFBillsfan said:

He did some good things but also missed a big tackle and was out of place in coverage.  

Overall I’d say Edmunds is solid but he doesn’t seem to make the big game changing plays that Milano or even Tauron Johnson has this season. 

30 minutes ago, Process said:

How much do average, backup MLBs make? Should be a lot less than $8M.

Yeah look, I'm not beating the drum for Edmunds by any means. IMO, he has been underwhelming for a pick 16 (which actually cost us more than that).

I agree that even 8m per year might be a stretch.

Every week it’s the same negative mental gymnastics even if the team dominates.  It’s never good enough. Always someone who is targeted by a few here. Hell this season the first two weeks it was JA.  He played great today. So back to edmunds. Not sure what purpose it serves after a while.  And then these people defend their neurotic behavior with asking what’s wrong with pointing out their opinions. Nothing wrong with it unless that’s all you ever add to the conversation.  At that point it becomes toxic.  We are gonna end up winning a SB at some point soon and these folks will start bitching that night about how we won’t be able to repeat next year due to some player who didn’t play well in the playoffs.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Because this place likes to B word about someone

I’m glad you brought the “torched by TEs” thing because through 3 games the best stat line a TE has posted against us is 4 catches for 40 yards. Mr. Edmunds has played a part in that. 

And we’ve played some good freaking TEs so far

I missed that on his first post. But yeah 2018 and 2019 we were the best against TE from a fantasy perspective so yup even more silliness. 

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

Every week it’s the same negative mental gymnastics even if the team dominates.  It’s never good enough. Always someone who is targeted by a few here. Hell this season the first two weeks it was JA.  He played great today. So back to edmunds. Not sure what purpose it serves after a while.  And then these people defend their neurotic behavior with asking what’s wrong with pointing out their opinions. Nothing wrong with it unless that’s all you ever add to the conversation.  At that point it becomes toxic.  We are gonna end up winning a SB at some point soon and these folks will start bitching that night about how we won’t be able to repeat next year due to some player who didn’t play well in the playoffs.

I agree with the fact some people react way too harshly too quickly. It surprises me how quickly some people turned on Allen in 2 weeks. But as for Edmunds I think it's been a long conversation for several years now. Me personally he's played above average at his best. If Milano isn't there to help he's below average. We've all had high hopes for Edmunds to just take that next step but at this point I think with us knocking on the super bowl door people are tired of waiting. We wanted him to be peaking while the team makes its run but some can argue he might have regressed. Trust me if he took that next step and made me look stupid I'd love it, but I'm not holding my breath at this point.

1 hour ago, nedboy7 said:

Our young team captain that was seen as a cornerstone player is a topic of conversation on a message board.  It’s not “targeting” someone as you suggest.  It’s just talking about the Bills.  If Edmunds would’ve had a great game or caused a turnover, I would be saying he had a great game.  Conversation would continue and lead to talk about the future.  Almost everyone would say that he’s not worth the big money he due to make.  Even his apologists know he’s not worth what he’s going to make (over 15M a year).  Then some people will complain about the people that are talking negatively about our players on a message board.  

Edited by NewEra
  • Dislike 1

1 minute ago, Norcalbillsfan said:

I agree with the fact some people react way too harshly too quickly. It surprises me how quickly some people turned on Allen in 2 weeks. But as for Edmunds I think it's been a long conversation for several years now. Me personally he's played above average at his best. If Milano isn't there to help he's below average. We've all had high hopes for Edmunds to just take that next step but at this point I think with us knocking on the super bowl door people are tired of waiting. We wanted him to be peaking while the team makes its run but some can argue he might have regressed. Trust me if he took that next step and made me look stupid I'd love it, but I'm not holding my breath at this point.

Regarding Edmunds, I agree 💯

I think the premise of people “turning on Josh” is a bit overstated.  He had one of the best years in league history last season.  Going from what we saw last season to what we saw week 1 and 2  caught the entire fan base (and media) off guard.  He IS our franchise.  We talked about him not playing well but I can’t recall anyone turning on Josh

12 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Our young team captain that was seen as a cornerstone player is a topic of conversation on a message board.  It’s not “targeting” someone as you suggest.  It’s just talking about the Bills.  If Edmunds would’ve had a great game or caused a turnover, we would be saying he had a great game.  Conversation would continue and lead to talk about the future.  Almost everyone would say that he’s not worth the big money he due to make.  Even his apologists know he’s not worth what he’s going to make (over 15M a year).  Then some people will complain about the people that are talking negatively about our players on a message board.  

Disagree.  Edmunds has had some very good games and these people don’t show him love in those moments.

This thread is pretty ridiculous considering we have a top 3 defense and Edmunds hasnt done anything to hurt us while this thread talks like we are 0-3 and Edmunds is the main reason why.    

Meanwhile opposing players and coaches constantly talk up Edmunds and how he’s a beast they must account for.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

And you don't criticize Milano for getting sucked into a run fake and blocked out of the play on the Hyde tackle for loss. Edmunds was 2nd to the party from the opposite side of the field and Milano did not even make it to the party.

The difference is Milano is always around the ball making game changing plays. Tackles for a loss, sacks, turnovers, PBUs. He's doing it all this year. So his few mistakes are forgivable. No one expects any player to be perfect.

I'm not as low on Edmunds as some on here, but he does not make those game changing plays. His mistakes are therefore more noticeable. Edmunds is still valuable in the way he takes away passing windows, but with his physical profile he could be a truly dominant player and it's disappointing that he's never gotten close to that level.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

The difference is Milano is always around the ball making game changing plays. Tackles for a loss, sacks, turnovers, PBUs. He's doing it all this year. So his few mistakes are forgivable. No one expects any player to be perfect.

I'm not as low on Edmunds as some on here, but he does not make those game changing plays. His mistakes are therefore more noticeable. Edmunds is still valuable in the way he takes away passing windows, but with his physical profile he could be a truly dominant player and it's disappointing that he's never gotten close to that level.

Yep, he has not exceeded expectations. 

5 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Disagree.  Edmunds has had some very good games and these people don’t show him love in those moments.

This thread is pretty ridiculous considering we have a top 3 defense and Edmunds hasnt done anything to hurt us while this thread talks like we are 0-3 and Edmunds is the main reason why.    

Meanwhile opposing players and coaches constantly talk up Edmunds and how he’s a beast they must account for.  

Ok, maybe I shouldn’t have spoken for everyone.  

I think the bolded is a little dramatic.  I don’t see it that way at all, but I agree that there are some pretty bad negative takes in here.  I’ve had a couple trolling pot shots, all

in fun.  Some people get so crazy over the thought of any negative talk about a Bill.  I must admit to poking the bear a couple times.  

Regarding other coaches and player talking him up, that’s the business.  Everyone shows respect to everyone for the most part.  How many instances can you recall of an opposing coach talking bad about an opposing player?  Very rare.  Coaches are asked about their opponents weekly.  The majority of the talk is positive.  

He’s a solid young player with tremendous upside. My only real take on the matter is that I hope he improves.  If he doesn’t improve, he won’t be worth the extension that he’s going to command, based mostly on his physical being.  If he doesn’t improve, I think he’ll be extremely overpaid based on his play and I hope we take our comp pick and run.  

7 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Yep, he has not exceeded expectations. 

It's hard to quantify his value in this defense because the plays he prevents don't show up on broadcast footage or the stat sheet. I'm sure QBs sometimes have to move away from their read in the middle of the field because he's roaming in that area, and he covers RBs out of the backfield exceptionally well. But smart players like Mahomes and Kelce exploit his weaknesses to death. It's like Josh Allen if he had never developed after his rookie year. The things he does well he does really well, but the weaknesses are so glaring that it becomes a net negative to the team.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.