Taiwan Jones - Elite Gunner and now Captain

DasNootz

2 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

What does being a captain means anyway?

I am just asking since having 8 captains seems super odd in the first place.

I might be ignorant about US habits but most sports I am aware of have usually one captain per team, which makes perfect sense. 

That’s who goes out for coin tosses - opening and OT. I’m not aware of any other official stipulations around being a captain. 

Does anyone on this Board care who goes out for the coin toss?  Remember the bizarre selections of game captains under the Rex Ryan regime?  Every guy on this roster needs to exemplify being a leader if we're to make it to the Super Bowl and, more importantly, win it!  Mrs. Hughes, we as fans could care less whether Jerry has a "C" on his jersey so long as he continues to be the great player and team leader he is.  And you should not care so long as he is coming home healthy and collecting huge paychecks.

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Last year's captains:

https://www.buffalobills.com/news/bills-elect-these-team-captains-for-the-2020-season

Josh, Dawkins

Poyer, Hughes, Edmunds

Ferguson, Roberts

2019:

Josh, Dawkins

Edmunds, Alexander

Ferguson, Hauschka

So we're trending up in # of captains, from 6 to 7 to 8

Which I think is a little strange, but whatever...

For some reason I thought the league rule was 6 max. I could be wrong on that. 8 is a lot. 

13 minutes ago, Cash said:

That’s who goes out for coin tosses - opening and OT. I’m not aware of any other official stipulations around being a captain. 

Officially, the captain of the unit that is on the field serves as a "field captain" to accept or decline penalties etc. (In reality I expect the coach makes the call and the player just informs the officials).  There may be other "field captain" roles, where it makes sense for the guy with the radio helmet to be a captain.

Also officially per NFL rules the maximum number of captains is 6, and that' the maximum that can go out for the coin toss.

Interesting when McD was miked up in the SF game, it was clear he was calling Hyde over and using him to communicate to the defense, even though Poyer and Edmunds were the captains.

32 minutes ago, DJB said:

Edmunds captain? 

Like is it more of a participation badge or something in his case? 

Yeah, they’ve given him the captain participation trophy 3 years in a row. 

Fans, coaches and players have given him the pro bowl participation trophy 2 years in a row. 

Kind of weird such a bad player keeps getting all these trophies. 

• Like (+1) 2

36 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Cross your fingers they don’t pay him  big bucks…. Although it’s certainly looking like they will.

He needs to take a massive step forwards this year for me. 

Hes underwhelmed every step of the way. 

I still think he makes for a much better WLB. He doesn't have the physical play or nastiness to get into the backfield like a MLB

6 minutes ago, DJB said:

still think he makes for a much better WLB. He doesn't have the physical play or nastiness to get into the backfield like a MLB

Seen a few posters say the same before. Have wondered about it myself. Coaches appear to be happy with him at MLB though. Don't know if they have ever attempted to try him at OLB in practice or anything, but it does kinda make you curious if he'd be better there.