Buffalo Bills 2021 practice squad players

HOUSE

It wouldn't shock me if Warring is just a holding player until Hollister realizes there is no one that wants to put him on their 53, and he signs to the PS.

Something isn't right with this Warring.  I felt like I was reading he was on a new team every week.

7 hours ago, Back2Buff said:

It wouldn't shock me if Warring is just a holding player until Hollister realizes there is no one that wants to put him on their 53, and he signs to the PS.

Well Hey Y'all, Guess What

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/report-jags-expected-to-sign-veteran-te-jacob-hollister/ar-AAO2oxN

7 hours ago, Back2Buff said:

Something isn't right with this Warring.  I felt like I was reading he was on a new team every week.

Not really.  He was drafted by Houston in 2019, who kept him on the roster until after the 2nd pre-season game August 24.

The Pats and Colts then brought him in as either a 3rd game body (or for an extended tryout) but didn't like him enough on brief acquaintance to displace someone else.

The Pats have a pretty deep TE room with Jonnu Smith and Hunter Henry then last year's 3rd round pick Devin Asiasi.  They've also got a 4 year vet who was with them all summer on their PS.  The Colts also have a pretty deep TE room with Mo Alie-Cox, Jack Doyle, and this year's 4th round pick Kylen Granson.

As someone else pointed out, Warring was drafted in the 3rd round by Brian Gaines when he was with the Texans, and it's believed the Bills scouted him in that draft (he was drafted in the 3rd, 10 slots before Dawson Knox).  I think Warring was the "odd man out" in two respects:

1) he was drafted 2 GMs ago - the new talent evaluators tend to prefer the guys they scouted (sometimes for good reason, sometimes not).  Injuries have slowed him, and he hasn't developed into the polished starter they hoped he'd be by this time

2) they have two veteran TE and a new rookie they drafted this year, so Warring was the odd-man-out

In a way, Warring can be seen as another form of "shot across the bows" to Knox.  He was drafted in the same year, 10 slots earlier, graded "6.3 - will be a starter within 2 seasons" by NFL.com (vs Knox 6.2 "good backup who could become a starter").  In his 3rd season, he just got waived by 3 teams in 8 days, and his best shot is an offer to the practice squad by a good team with bad TE.  "Not For Long", baby - get it together or that could be you.

• Like (+1) 6

7 hours ago, HOUSE said:

Was the same good TE class as Knox. They no doubt scouted him back then when looking at guys who might last until round 3. Went just before we took Dawson. Like Dawson he hadn't been a tight end long, had some physical traits but also some issues catching the football. He was a decent in line blocker in college too.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Was the same good TE class as Knox. They no doubt scouted him back then when looking at guys who might last until round 3. Went just before we took Dawson. Like Dawson he hadn't been a tight end long, had some physical traits but also some issues catching the football. He was a decent in line blocker in college too.

Comes from the college my son had a scholarship to but tore his acl his senior high school year

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

It is worth saying that 2019 tight end class has not, to this point, lived up to its potential. The two first rounders - Hockenson and Fant have been good, but not true difference makers, Irv Smith has been a rotational piece in Minnesota and is now out for the year in 2021, Knox has been a low level starter in Buffalo and then that is basically it. 

It was a really talented class though. I had 7 in my top 100 players (normally it is like 3 or 4) and in the end 8 Tight Ends went in the first 100 picks which is easily the most in the 7 years I have been really following the draft closely. At draft time I had them ranked:

1. TJ Hockenson (went Rd 1)

2. Noah Fant (went Rd 1)

3. Josh Oliver (went Rd 3)

4. Irv Smith Jr (went Rd 2)

5. Jace Sternberger (went Rd 3)

6. Kahale Warring (went Rd 3)

7. Dawson Knox (went Rd 3)

-------- top 100 cut off

8. Kaden Smith (went Rd 6)

9. Drew Sample (went Rd 2)

10. Foster Moreau (went Rd 4)

In terms of ranking their production through 2 years (totals combined for 2019 and 2020) it's:

1. Noah Fant - 1,235 yards 6 TDs

2. TJ Hockenson - 1,090 yards 8 TDs

3. Irv Smith Jr - 676 yards 7 TDs

4. Dawson Knox - 676 yards 5 TDs

5. Kaden Smith - 380 yards 3 TDs

6. Drew Sample - 379 yards 1 TD

7. Foster Moreau - 314 yards 7 TDs

8. Jace Sternberger - 114 yards 1 TD

9. Kahale Warring - 35 yards 0 TD

10. Josh Oliver - 15 yards 0 TD

Now injuries and coaching changes have affected a lot of these guys and I still really think there is some talent in that group. My hot takes were TJ Hockenson was a good NFL starter but not a star (so far I hold to that view) and Josh Oliver was the highest ceiling guy in the class (he has basically missed two seasons injured) and he has been traded this summer to the Ravens where he made the roster and is a sneaky breakout candidate if he can stay healthy, knowing how much their offense features tight ends. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

It is worth saying that 2019 tight end class has not, to this point, lived up to its potential. The two first rounders - Hockenson and Fant have been good, but not true difference makers, Irv Smith has been a rotational piece in Minnesota and is now out for the year in 2021, Knox has been a low level starter in Buffalo and then that is basically it. 

It was a really talented class though. I had 7 in my top 100 players (normally it is like 3 or 4) and in the end 8 Tight Ends went in the first 100 picks which is easily the most in the 7 years I have been really following the draft closely. At draft time I had them ranked:

1. TJ Hockenson (went Rd 1)

2. Noah Fant (went Rd 1)

3. Josh Oliver (went Rd 3)

4. Irv Smith Jr (went Rd 2)

5. Jace Sternberger (went Rd 3)

6. Kahale Warring (went Rd 3)

7. Dawson Knox (went Rd 3)

-------- top 100 cut off

8. Kaden Smith (went Rd 6)

9. Drew Sample (went Rd 2)

10. Foster Moreau (went Rd 4)

In terms of ranking their production through 2 years (totals combined for 2019 and 2020) it's:

1. Noah Fant - 1,235 yards 6 TDs

2. TJ Hockenson - 1,090 yards 8 TDs

3. Irv Smith Jr - 676 yards 7 TDs

4. Dawson Knox - 676 yards 5 TDs

5. Kaden Smith - 380 yards 3 TDs

6. Drew Sample - 379 yards 1 TD

7. Foster Moreau - 314 yards 7 TDs

8. Jace Sternberger - 114 yards 1 TD

9. Kahale Warring - 35 yards 0 TD

10. Josh Oliver - 15 yards 0 TD

Now injuries and coaching changes have affected a lot of these guys and I still really think there is some talent in that group. My hot takes were TJ Hockenson was a good NFL starter but not a star (so far I hold to that view) and Josh Oliver was the highest ceiling guy in the class (he has basically missed two seasons injured) and he has been traded this summer to the Ravens where he made the roster and is a sneaky breakout candidate if he can stay healthy, knowing how much their offense features tight ends. 

I liked Oliver and can’t believe the Jags traded him within the conference while giving Tebow and now Hollister a look instead.  That regime is off to a questionable start.  And I wish we had been the ones to make that trade.

• Agree 2

54 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I liked Oliver and can’t believe the Jags traded him within the conference while giving Tebow and now Hollister a look instead.  That regime is off to a questionable start.  And I wish we had been the ones to make that trade.

He had nearly a 100 yards receiving between the 3 pre-season games for Baltimore. It was a conditional 7th they paid too (which I think now becomes due on him making the 53). I'd have been all over that deal. The ceiling is sky high. You are gambling on health as much as anything. 

• Like (+1) 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/2/2021 at 10:08 AM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Who?

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/kahale-warring/32005741-5275-2700-ebaf-ccabda046f86

2019 3rd round pick by Houston

Spent 2019 on IR and half of 2020 on IR

Waived by Houston in mid August and claimed/waived in short succession by NE and then Indy

First name is actually Kahalekuiokalani

6'5" 250

Are the Bills hoping that between this guy and Sweeney, they can have one active TE who is not on IR?

PS Was actually drafted at pick 86, 10 slots ahead of Dawson Knox in the 2019 3rd.

I was looking at the Bills' cap situation and just noticed him on the PS--don't know how I missed this addition?  I was hoping the Bills would draft him. He was too raw to make the roster, so he ends up where I hoped anyway.  Hope they can keep and develop him.