Bills trading Daryll Johnson to the Panthers for 6th rd pick

Process

4 hours ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

I believe we can trade Mario and save about $8 million in 2022, He will be an UFA in 2023. ( https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/mario-addison-8871/) 

Jerry Hughs is an UFA next year and will free up $7 million from the salary cap.

This would clear up enough money to get one of the top FA guards.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/jerry-hughes-6540/

or Two.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/guard/a

You're looking at this all wrong. Bills are close to the cap and need to release vets to get some space to sign some middling FA's. The fact that Hughes is NOT included in their current cap number means if they want to retain him, they need to eat into the cap even more. His salary coming off the books is already accounted for. 

1 hour ago, T master said:

We won't know how good this move was until Beane makes that pick and we see what he gets for it .

If he hits on it then it will be worth it i for one always thought Bam was a good player with a lot of upside for the team & i would have definitely liked to see him kept over Addison or some others but sometimes you can't keep them all & a sacrifice had to be made in order to move forward & i trust Beane ...

Beane got a 6th for a guy who was not making the team.  He rarely dressed for Carolina.  It was a steal.  Something instead of nothing.  Like bodine for a 6th to New England.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, klos63 said:

Addison is $2 million cap hit next year, $2 million dead cap if we cut him.  No money saved by cutting him.  I'm not certain he is technically under contract next season. No base salary, just signing bonus.

The Bills restructured him in the offseason voiding the final year of his deal and leaving a $2MM cap charge for 2022, while saving money in 2021.

He's gone after this year and will not be missed. 

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2021/3/24/22347967/buffalo-bills-voided-final-year-of-mario-addisons-deal-as-part-of-restructure-buffalo-bills

4 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

Beane got a 6th for a guy who was not making the team.  He rarely dressed for Carolina.  It was a steal.  Something instead of nothing.  Like bodine for a 6th to New England.

...and the 5th rounder for Teller after drafting him in the 5th the year prior... 

Edited by ArtVandalay

4 minutes ago, ArtVandalay said:

The Bills restructured him in the offseason voiding the final year of his deal and leaving a $2MM cap charge for 2022, while saving money in 2021.

He's gone after this year and will not be missed. 

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2021/3/24/22347967/buffalo-bills-voided-final-year-of-mario-addisons-deal-as-part-of-restructure-buffalo-bills

why do you say he won’t be missed? 

Addison had a sneakily good season this year— 7 sacks.  This, even though, we have a pretty deep rotation.

i think the Bills got exactly what they wanted out of Addison production wise. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

7 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Addison had a sneakily good season this year— 7 sacks.  This, even though, we have a pretty deep rotation.

He's invisible on the field, awful, little pressure, and also grades out poorly on PFF so my eyes don't lie. 

With the draft picks we have invested those kids will make you forget him in a hurry. 

He's a vastly overpaid rotational player hence why they essentially terminated his contract this offseason after signing him just the year prior. 

• Eyeroll 1

23 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Production and mentoring.  They got what they were looking for this year.  Last year they probably were looking for more.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Addison had a much better year than anyone expected, especially for a guy that many wanted cut or traded this summer.

And if it comes down to bringing one back between Hughes/Addision next year I think the choice is obvious.

1 hour ago, ArtVandalay said:

He's invisible on the field, awful, little pressure, and also grades out poorly on PFF so my eyes don't lie. 

With the draft picks we have invested those kids will make you forget him in a hurry. 

He's a vastly overpaid rotational player hence why they essentially terminated his contract this offseason after signing him just the year prior. 

Some people need to open their eyes when they’re watching the games Seven sacks in a rotation like ours come on man

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, ArtVandalay said:

You are beyond ridiculous with this.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

You are beyond ridiculous with this.

I'm not, it is just that many fans like yourself refuse to be objective and critical of players when deserved. 

Pro Football Focus grading agrees with me.

Brandon Beane agrees with me as well which is why he went ahead and restructured his deal to void the final (3rd) year of his deal before the season. 

So it's not ridiculous the least bit.

12 hours ago, NewEra said:

I can’t see us getting rid of Jerry and Mario.  McD wants a vet in the room.  Maybe they’ll sign someone else, but I think mcD like his leaders and they don’t just look at the sack colum like some do.  

I would keep Mario as a rotational guy, but I’ve seen enough of Rousseau to know that he’s a good player and my boy Boogie did well given the limited snap count.

I think you’ll see Rousseau at LDE and Boogie at RDE next year with Epenesa, Obada and Addison as rotational pieces. I think Buffalo has a very bright future at EDGE for the most part. NT? Not so much.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, ArtVandalay said:

I'm not, it is just that many fans like yourself refuse to be objective and critical of players when deserved. 

Brandon Beane agrees with me as well which is why he went ahead and restructured his deal to void the final (3rd) year of his deal before the season. 

PFF doesn't know the responsibilities.  And last year Addison wasn't great, hence the restructure.

7 minutes ago, Doc said:

PFF doesn't know the responsibilities.  And last year Addison wasn't great, hence the restructure.

I like PFF. They’re not the end all be all, but it’s a nice metric for random positions, mainly OL and the lunch pal positions. Most folks can see for themselves for the most part in terms of judging other positions though, mainly QB, WR, TE, DL, LB and S etc. Judging center and guard can be less obvious though for the most part unless you’re a fan of that team.

1 hour ago, ArtVandalay said:

OMG dude.

I have never said he was great.

You're using Pro Football Focus as evidence lol?

Brandon Beane agrees with you?  If he agreed with you, then he would have cut him straight up and not just done a restructure lol.

Does Sean McDermott agree with you?  He plays 46% of the snaps at DE.  Why would McDermott play a guy that much who is invisible and worthless?  Why did he never healthy scratch him?  

Yes, it's one of the most ridiculous things I've read on here.

• Agree 2

19 hours ago, Bob Chandler's Hands said:

You're looking at this all wrong. Bills are close to the cap and need to release vets to get some space to sign some middling FA's. The fact that Hughes is NOT included in their current cap number means if they want to retain him, they need to eat into the cap even more. His salary coming off the books is already accounted for. 

I understand. The comparison should be that we would have $7mill LESS cap space if we kept him.  Maybe his leaving might help with comp picks?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.