Predictions: Surprise Cuts, Surprise 53 Signings

18 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

They happen every year.

I didn't see this as its own thread, and I thought it deserved one. Who are your surprise cuts, and your surprise guys to make the 53?

One caveat: I think it's going to take a couple days after Tuesday for everything to come out in the wash, vis a vis IR, waivers, etc. For those posters who really follow the rest of the league, please include other team's cast-offs in your predictions, if you have any.

I'll start, Surprise Cut:

I've said for a while that I think Addison will be a surprise cut. I know they value him, and I know he's currently listed as a starter. But, especially when one considers the future (as Beane most certainly does), Hughes, Epenesa, Rousseau, Basham, Obada, and Johnson all provide more long-term value.

Surprise 53:

(Get ready to flame) Nate Becker. That's right, Nate Becker. Honestly, this would surprise me as well. But, consider: They've held onto him on the PS for two years, and signed him to futures contracts at the end of the '19, and '20 seasons. They've been developing him since they acquired him in '19. IMO, like Ike Boettger, I think they take these developmental guys seriously, and I also think they look at the time they put into their development on the PS as an investment. Obviously, he's been traveling well under the radar, and nobody has been talking about him (and to be fair, no one has been asking about him, either). I think this may be his year. If not now, maybe later in the season.

So, who do you got?

Becker has surprised and if the keep 4TE's, I think he makes it. If we go deeper at other positions and only keep 3, then Sweeney may get the nod. Either way, I think the other lands on the PS.  

Addison, I can't see as a cut. He is a trade candidate for a day 3 pick. Beane is too smart to get nothing in return from a position of strength.  I think it may be the same with Cody Ford.  My surprise cut would be Wildgoose or Cam Lewis.

17 hours ago, section122 said:

I think Isaiah mckenzie gets cut just to be snuck on the ir list.

I think kumerow gets traded for a 5 or 6 to gb.

I think breida gets cut and stashed on ps

Surprise I think they keep 7 des and i don't known if it counts but taiwan jones makes it again.

I think mckenzie would have to make the 53, then get put on IR so they could bring him back.  Any of the guys like hollister and jones who can be cut and brought back will probably have that done so they can move guys like stevenson to IR.

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

And there is still a big drop off between McKenzie was WR5 and Kumerow and Stevenson as WR6 and WR7 in my view. For a team that ran more 4 wide than anyone in football in 2020 cutting your very good 5th receiver seems foolhardy.

I am waiting for the person who had Del'Shawn Phillips making it last year. If they called that then they are the person to follow.

It's funny but some people still look at rosters the way they did 20 years ago.  For example, the 2020 AP defensive All Pro first string looks like a standard 4-3 lineup with only 2 CBs.  The Pro Football Writers of America put 2 RBs on their first team All Pro offense but only 2 WRs.  

Nowadays you often have 3 or 4 starting WRs, 3 starting CBs, 2 starting LBs, and of course 0 starting Fullbacks.  

The standard number of WRs on a NFL roster is 6.  Given the talent we have, and the number of WRs we use, I also expect the Bills to carry 7.  

I think we have to: (1) look at where we are thin at important positions.  We are "thin" at CB (depth); (while we are also thin at TE, I don't think that's as big of an issue given our WR talent) and (2) look at where we are deep (DE).  I think we try to trade a DE for a CB, and/or pickup a CB by shedding some DE talent.  The obvious choice to shed is Addison due to his contract, but I'm not sure what CB is out there.  

(we could also shed for an OT--thin, or a DT).  

20 hours ago, Mat68 said:

Interesting cut down.  I think Becker is TE 3.  I stated my belief that Breida would be a surprise cut.  Utilizing him as a wing back is a creative way to get him on the field so he safe. I think DE brings the biggest shake up.  Keep 7 or trade 1 to keep 6. 

I think Gilliam is combined TE3 / FB1

I think we'll only keep 2 TEs. And keep Gilliam instead as a utility player as short yardage back, FB and TE3 in practice. 

Edited by Mountain Man
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

Another possibility is that the Bills trade Addison for a very good young CB.  

OR,

the Bills trade him to some team what is early on the waiver wire list for a good young CB. (that team gets the first/early pick on players released on waivers,  picks the CB, and we trade Addison for the young CB.)

This method would cut down the logjam at DE and give us a player now with some experience to provide depth.

No team is giving up a good young CB for Addison. At best you might get a 5th round pick.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

There are several teams that could claim him before he falls to GB.

True, all Im saying is I see no way GB passes on him.  Someone else could claim him.  Cutting him puts him on another teams roster imo.  Cant do anything cute or creative with him to manipulate the roster.