Predictions: Surprise Cuts, Surprise 53 Signings

They happen every year.

I didn't see this as its own thread, and I thought it deserved one. Who are your surprise cuts, and your surprise guys to make the 53?

One caveat: I think it's going to take a couple days after Tuesday for everything to come out in the wash, vis a vis IR, waivers, etc. For those posters who really follow the rest of the league, please include other team's cast-offs in your predictions, if you have any.

I'll start, Surprise Cut:

I've said for a while that I think Addison will be a surprise cut. I know they value him, and I know he's currently listed as a starter. But, especially when one considers the future (as Beane most certainly does), Hughes, Epenesa, Rousseau, Basham, Obada, and Johnson all provide more long-term value.

Surprise 53:

(Get ready to flame) Nate Becker. That's right, Nate Becker. Honestly, this would surprise me as well. But, consider: They've held onto him on the PS for two years, and signed him to futures contracts at the end of the '19, and '20 seasons. They've been developing him since they acquired him in '19. IMO, like Ike Boettger, I think they take these developmental guys seriously, and I also think they look at the time they put into their development on the PS as an investment. Obviously, he's been traveling well under the radar, and nobody has been talking about him (and to be fair, no one has been asking about him, either). I think this may be his year. If not now, maybe later in the season.

So, who do you got?

Edited by Rocky Landing
  • Like (+1) 2

Interesting cut down.  I think Becker is TE 3.  I stated my belief that Breida would be a surprise cut.  Utilizing him as a wing back is a creative way to get him on the field so he safe. I think DE brings the biggest shake up.  Keep 7 or trade 1 to keep 6. 

46 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

They happen every year.

I didn't see this as its own thread, and I thought it deserved one. Who are your surprise cuts, and your surprise guys to make the 53?

One caveat: I think it's going to take a couple days after Tuesday for everything to come out in the wash, vis a vis IR, waivers, etc. For those posters who really follow the rest of the league, please include other team's cast-offs in your predictions, if you have any.

I'll start, Surprise Cut:

I've said for a while that I think Addison will be a surprise cut. I know they value him, and I know he's currently listed as a starter. But, especially when one considers the future (as Beane most certainly does), Hughes, Epenesa, Rousseau, Basham, Obada, and Johnson all provide more long-term value.

Surprise 53:

(Get ready to flame) Nate Becker. That's right, Nate Becker. Honestly, this would surprise me as well. But, consider: They've held onto him on the PS for two years, and signed him to futures contracts at the end of the '19, and '20 seasons. They've been developing him since they acquired him in '19. IMO, like Ike Boettger, I think they take these developmental guys seriously, and I also think they look at the time they put into their development on the PS as an investment. Obviously, he's been traveling well under the radar, and nobody has been talking about him (and to be fair, no one has been asking about him, either). I think this may be his year. If not now, maybe later in the season.

So, who do you got?

I think if they can't trade anyone on the DL, then could see this happening that they cut him.  Think they'd be thrilled if they could trade Addison, but can't se that happening for a guy that old, making that much money, and didn't do a whole lot last season.  But if they can trade anyone, then the numbers kind of work to keep him.

How's Becker WRT blocking?  If he's above average there, then possible instead of Sweeney.  But don't want to keep Becker if it means cutting a WR, think I'd prefer 7 WR and 2 TE

32 minutes ago, Reader said:

Surprise: Bam Johnson traded

Surprise 53: Bobby Hart, at least for week 1

Johnson Obada, or Addison IMO most likely to be traded or the team wants to trade them.  But as I said avove doubt any takers on Addison.

The problem with keeping Hart active for week 1, he's been in the league enough years  that then his entire salary becomes guaranteed.   That's why you'll often see vets who are cut this week not signed until after the first week to avoid that.

Surprise cut: Kumerow. He's replaceable as a WR, but this decision would ultimately depend on special teams play. If anyone has shown they can take that role this offseason, then Kumerow may be the odd man out.

Surprise 53: Isaiah Johnson, CB, after being cut by the Raiders. Only 25 years old, Johnson has struggled to break into a starting role for the Raiders. As they've recently acquired more CBs in free agency and the draft, Johnson could get let go and be a target for the Bills to potentially improve CB depth. He's also played gunner on ST. 

52 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think they will feel confident sneaking Becker onto the PS, so won't need to give him a spot but I do believe they want to keep him around. It wouldn't be the biggest shock in the world to me if he made it.

He had a handful of snaps with the 1s yesterday.  It was … interesting to me.  Made me wonder if it was to take a look at him in case they release Hollister on a handshake deal to save a roster spot and Hollister ends up leaving. 

Addison may also be in trouble.  They wasted money in a washed Trent Murphy last year, and I wonder if that experience will guide what happens with Addison moving forward.  He was in the game pretty late yesterday for someone who is supposed to be safe. 

And I’ll stand by my belief that McKenzie is in trouble.  Can’t undermine the coach without consequence. Maybe they worked it out already, maybe they didn’t.  And if they didn’t, there’s an easy way to address that issue. 

Edited by SectionC3

19 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Surprise cut: Kumerow. He's replaceable as a WR, but this decision would ultimately depend on special teams play. If anyone has shown they can take that role this offseason, then Kumerow may be the odd man out.

Surprise 53: Isaiah Johnson, CB, after being cut by the Raiders. Only 25 years old, Johnson has struggled to break into a starting role for the Raiders. As they've recently acquired more CBs in free agency and the draft, Johnson could get let go and be a target for the Bills to potentially improve CB depth. He's also played gunner on ST. 

Important to note that the Bills are near the bottom of the waiver claim list.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

And I’ll stand by my belief that McKenzie is in trouble.  Can’t undermine the coach without consequence. Maybe they worked it out already, maybe they didn’t.  And if they didn’t, there’s an easy way to address that issue. 

If McKenzie goes they can always pick up that Mckitrick guy. He is loads better anyhow.

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I think Isaiah mckenzie gets cut just to be snuck on the ir list.

I think kumerow gets traded for a 5 or 6 to gb.

I think breida gets cut and stashed on ps

Surprise I think they keep 7 des and i don't known if it counts but taiwan jones makes it again.

50 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

How's Becker WRT blocking?  If he's above average there, then possible instead of Sweeney.  But don't want to keep Becker if it means cutting a WR, think I'd prefer 7 WR and 2 TE

What I heard in the past was he was 2nd string behind Lee Smith in the in-line blocking role n past camps in Buffalo.

I never heard anything in camp where he failed in that role and if he did I'm sure they wouldn't of kept him on the PS for 2 years.

He is the largest TE on the roster too.  He had some good grabs which impressed me as a receiver this summer.

I see him on the PS to start the season with a real chance to get called up if needed.

• Like (+1) 2

Bobby Hart is safe. Consider him the new Vlad Ducasse. Terrible on the field and sticks around longer than he should. Say hello to the new BBMB whipping guy.

Surprise cut: I think there will be a few. My biggest will be McKenzie. As a KR there is a younger/cheaper/faster option already on the roster. Brieda can handle all those misdirection plays in the offense (something we may have glimpsed yesterday as well). As a WR he's not better than WR5. 

Edited by No Place To Hyde
  • Vomit 1