Alphas Final Roster Stab (after PS game 3)

Alphadawg7

3 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

NEW TE STARTER - KNOX In version 2.0 I started speculating Hollister might emerge as a surprise starter.  But given Knox ran with the ones this game, and did a good job, I think the job is safely Knox's to start the season with Hollister likely getting decent amount of snaps as well.  But I do think Knox could see Hollister push him for the starting role throughout the season if Knox shows inconsistency catching the ball and blocking

Was actually going to post basically what you did in bold. Didn't see it at first because I kinda just skimmed through it, but yeah anyways, was going to say I won't be surprised to see Hollister become the starting TE and might could be early in the season.

Guess we will see how much it may have helped, if any at all, Knox's off-season training with...(think it was ping pong balls or something?) did for him.

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Still think Jones will make the roster. I see nothing at all to suggest he won't. If Phillips is healthy Butler is cut and I think Obada stays unless we get offered something silly for him.

Agree, have considered Jones a lock myself.  I know some don't, but hard for me not to see him on this team

Edited by Sheneneh Jenkins

11 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Still think Jones will make the roster. I see nothing at all to suggest he won't. If Phillips is healthy Butler is cut and I think Obada stays unless we get offered something silly for him.

I think that also, with the departure of Roberts, Beane will be loathe to diminish ST any further. I assume this would give Jaquan Johnson a leg up, as well.

1 minute ago, Rocky Landing said:

I think that also, with the departure of Roberts, Beane will be loathe to diminish ST any further. I assume this would give Jaquan Johnson a leg up, as well.

Jaquan is definitely in if he is healthy. McDermott basically said it after the game last night it is one where the prediction from the medical staff will play in but went on to say "we have a ton of faith in Jaquan". He is safe if healthy as the 3rd safety. 

• Agree 1

54 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Great job! 

I think we will see some surprise IR move which Will open the door to everyone’s least favorite Bill (Taiwan) making the 53. 

Curious who you think is going into IR to allow Taiwan to come back.   Hodgins is already outside looking in and is not a lock.  Same with Williams.                                                                                                                                               

2 minutes ago, ganesh said:

Curious who you think is going into IR to allow Taiwan to come back.   Hodgins is already outside looking in and is not a lock.  Same with Williams.                                                                                                                                               

At the moment the names to watch for on making the 53 then being IR'd are Harrison Phillips, Jaquan Johnson, Tommy Sweeney and possibly Spencer Brown. 

I think Taiwan Jones is making the 53 and if they don't need / want to IR anyone he will just make it flat out. The 4 guys they could do the cut, wait in the parking lot, re-sign trick with are Jones (but it costs nearly $1m to do) and then more cheaply McKenzie, Breida and Hollister.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I want to keep Obada, dont get me confused with what I want or what I think will happen.  But, no chance Obada fetches a 2nd round pick IMO. 

It really could still be Addison, I just think Addison knowing the defense, leading the team in sacks last year, and a push this year for a SB run gives him the slight edge given how young the rest of our DE room is outside Hughes.  

I agree, no chance he fetches a 2nd rd pick……that’s why there’s no way I’d trade him.  Too much potential on this team.

I hope Addison is the one cut (I doubt we can trade him), but I think we might keep both

45 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Suppose some GM offers xxx for Obada.   How silly does xxx have to be get your interest?

4 minutes ago, Epictetus said:

Suppose some GM offers xxx for Obada.   How silly does xxx have to be get your interest?

Me personally? I'd do it for a 5th. He has 1 NFL start in his entire career and yes he got 5.5 sacks last year as a situational rusher but I am not desperate at the spot feel good about my other options and maybe a 5th that becomes a 4th if he records 7.5 sacks or something like that. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, HappyDays said:

When the staff continually calls Jones an "elite gunner" and treats him like a starter in preseason you can't ignore those signs.

Based on everything this staff has said they feel that Jones is the best gunner on the team.

Taiwan Jones is, apparently, an Elite gunner and for sure the entire league knows it.  Therefore:

1) You wont be able to cut him and sneak him anywhere near your PS

2) Maybe, just maybe, Taiwan has very real trade value.  Maybe the wizard brought in Kumerow precisely to unlock Taiwan's trade value in case of roster cutting emergency.

• Agree 1

28 minutes ago, ganesh said:

Two possibilities are Harrison Phillips and Tommy Sweeney.

The former depends upon info we don't have about what his injury really is.  BangedupBills suggested LCL or MCL sprain.  If it took a while to get the swelling down, they were probably only starting to get to grips with his real timeline towards the end of last week, but if it's (say) a month to heal and 2 weeks to rehab, putting Phillips on IR for 3 games (plus 2 weeks until the opener and a week until game 4) would be perfect.

The speculation on Sweeney is that he may have had a Jones fracture last season.  Those do re-injure (see Watkins, Sammy).    He went out after the Lions game, so he's already had 2 weeks; if they like what they saw from him enough and feel they'd like to stash him on IR but have the option to bring him back mid-season, they do need to put him on the initial 53.

15 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Me personally? I'd do it for a 5th. He has 1 NFL start in his entire career and yes he got 5.5 sacks last year as a situational rusher but I am not desperate at the spot feel good about my other options and maybe a 5th that becomes a 4th if he records 7.5 sacks or something like that. 

Just my opinion, but I don't think pointing at starts for an DLman is particularly helpful, since a lot of teams use a heavy rotation.

8 minutes ago, maddenboy said:

Taiwan Jones is, apparently, an Elite gunner and for sure the entire league knows it.  Therefore:

1) You wont be able to cut him and sneak him anywhere near your PS

2) Maybe, just maybe, Taiwan has very real trade value.  Maybe the wizard brought in Kumerow precisely to unlock Taiwan's trade value in case of roster cutting emergency.

I have thought the same thing.

The thing about Jones and his absence for preseason games is strange any way you cut it.

The Bills know his worth and have been auditioning guys to take his place all off season.

The Bills ST coverage has been very good all preseason.  Kumerow and Neal have looked good to name 2.

15 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Just my opinion, but I don't think pointing at starts for an DLman is particularly helpful, since a lot of teams use a heavy rotation.

I hear you but I don't think you are going to get a team throwing a really silly offer (say a 3rd round pick) at a guy with 1 start. The fact he is a rotational player more than anything else limits that value was more my point.

9 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I hear you but I don't think you are going to get a team throwing a really silly offer (say a 3rd round pick) at a guy with 1 start. The fact he is a rotational player more than anything else limits that value was more my point.

I’m guessing it’s a very limited group of suitors out there for sure but it only takes one team to be in a rough roster spot entering the season to have to pull the trigger. I don’t know anywhere near enough about other team’s needs right now. 

• Like (+1) 1

I agree with pretty much everything. Except Harrison Phillips will be IR'ed or straight up released and that spot on the 53 will go to Taiwan Jones. I don't see them carrying 11 Defensive Lineman. The number is usually somewhere between 8-9, 10 tops. With the logjam at Defensive End and us keeping six guys there in lieu of the normal 4-5 (of which some play inside as well), I always saw it coming down to either Zimmer or Phillips being released. And Phillips injuring his knee again settled that. I agree that Efe Obada will be traded, especially if Beane is saying teams are calling at that position.

We've had this argument before. And again - I'm not saying it's the only reason. But the fact that they didn't play Taiwan Jones AT ALL during the preseason is the biggest indication of his importance to the team in their eyes. It makes zero sense to sign him this offseason for Special Teams, knowing they're already losing a key contributor to their Special Teams core in Dean Marlowe, not playing him even for a single snap, and then just cutting him. If he were on the bubble, he'd have been out there.

Other than that - I'm with you. Though it wouldn't shock me if Joe Giles-Harris beat out Tyrell Dodson. He's reportedly had a very good camp and played well in the Preseason. Also wouldn't be surprised to see Josh Thomas make it in lieu of Jaquan Johnson.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

At the moment the names to watch for on making the 53 then being IR'd are Harrison Phillips, Jaquan Johnson, Tommy Sweeney and possibly Spencer Brown. 

I think Taiwan Jones is making the 53 and if they don't need / want to IR anyone he will just make it flat out. The 4 guys they could do the cut, wait in the parking lot, re-sign trick with are Jones (but it costs nearly $1m to do) and then more cheaply McKenzie, Breida and Hollister.

Agreed. I sort of wonder if Doyle might have some mysterious injury appear—

I think he was dinged up against Chicago. He would be a great guy to stash on IR for a bit. 

• Agree 1

I think the Bills WANT to trade a DE, but I don't know if Beane can pull t off. With AJ,Groot and Boogie off the table, I'm not sure what the demand is. 

Then we have to consider whether Beane would dump one of his Carolina Cousins off this SB contender, I'm not sure that that is part of the process? Is Addison no longer a protected Bill because he underachieved last season? I thought he had a pretty good excuse but maybe there aren't any? John Brown WAS injured last year and now he is a raider.

Bam Johnson seems like the best candidate to trade, but what is he worth? I D K? I think he is worth at least a fourth rounder, maybe more. But I don't think we can get that. 

Addison maybe can help us this year. But he eats a lot of cap. I can't see getting much of anything for him though. But Beane traded Lee Smith and his contract for a seventh so anything is possible. I wonder if Lee would still be here if he agreed to a pay cut?

It will be very interesting to see what the Bills actually do.

There are a lot of contentious spots including: DE, RB, WR, DT, and even CB. If I was Beane I'd be looking for help at DT and CB. I don't think Lewis is a NFL CB at all. I worry that Harry is finished. I worry that teams are going to attack us in our soft middle all year long. I could be wrong about it being too soft though....we'll see. I know Klein is going to play quite a bit to combat this strategy. I think we could play that 5-2 we occasionally show as well. I like the 5-2 and Basham at DT with two real DTs seems exciting.

Question.... To what extent can our ends play tackle? Against the run? IDK? I could see Basham doing that but maybe that's it. Though Efe is pretty big and used to it. LOL, And Groot did that a lot last year but only in a pass rushing role.

Im going to enjoy that Pittsburgh game whether we win by one or thirty. I think it will be somewhere in between even though I have a lot of respect for that team and defense. What Stealer fans don't understand I think is that Allen really is a top three player in the NFL and McBeane has surrounded him with enough talent that he can hit his ceiling. That bodes poorly for Pittsburgh and their reliance on defense. Allen is going to shred it anyhow. 

I don't see Kumerow clearing waivers.  I think he makes our 53, or is picked up by someone else.  A player with his size and wheels who has ball skills will be in demand.  I also think as thin as we are at Tight End, that his size is helpful in goal line sets.  I also think if we go heavy at the goal line, Spencer Brown was at one time a tight end.