Alphas Final Roster Stab (after PS game 3)

Alphadawg7

3 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I think Rosseau starts opposite Hughes.  I think he's been that impressive.

He did on Saturday. They went Rousseau left end and Hughes right end and then AJ left end and Addison right end was the first rotation.

12 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I think Rosseau starts opposite Hughes.  I think he's been that impressive.

Its not out of the question, although its not been McD's style in the past to start rookies unless we had no other better options.  He prefers easing them in more, and AJE has been quite impressive himself.  

Welp...the DE trade happened, but instead of doing the trade to keep Daryl Johnson, it was a straight trade of Daryl Johnson.  

So now, I think the remaining 6 DE's are safe for the final roster, which is good because I would prefer to keep Obada (the guy I thought might get traded given he was still at the back of the depth chart with DJ).  

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Its not out of the question, although its not been McD's style in the past to start rookies unless we had no other better options.  He prefers easing them in more, and AJE has been quite impressive himself.  

I think a package of AJ, Rosseau, Hughes and Oliver would be hard to stop on 3rd down.

2 Qbs

4 Rbs

1 Fb

7 Wr

3 Te

8 Oline

Offense 25 
I think it comes down to Becker over Doyle.  I could see them going either way

6 De

4 Dt

6 Lb

5 Cb

4 Saftey

25 Defense

Trading Johnson cleared up the hardest position on the team.  I went with Dodson over Butler and Jaquan Johnson. I felt Hamlin and Thomas earned a roster spot this preseason.  A guy I am curious about is Mccloud.  I felt like he was the best Cb after White, Wallace, Johnson and Jackson.  

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

I think a package of AJ, Rosseau, Hughes and Oliver would be hard to stop on 3rd down.

Unless its third and short, then I prefer Star in there to clog the middle lanes more.  TBH, I think I would put Star in over Oliver in that scenario too if you have 3 pass rushers already on the DL in that lineup because I think we are a better pass rush if we have some size taking up blockers.  Last year, being undersized in the middle was a consistent problem.  

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Welp...the DE trade happened, but instead of doing the trade to keep Daryl Johnson, it was a straight trade of Daryl Johnson.  

So now, I think the remaining 6 DE's are safe for the final roster, which is good because I would prefer to keep Obada (the guy I thought might get traded given he was still at the back of the depth chart with DJ).  

So on top of all the other factors pointing to Taiwan Jones being safe - we just traded one of our core Special Teamers away (after already losing Dean Marlowe, one of our core pieces in FA). Yet you still have him being released.

You once asked me if I was related to him. Now I ask you - did he kick your dog or something? Or are you just of the mind that Special Teams really doesn't matter and you can just put anyone with legs back there?

Edited by BillsFanForever19

3 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

So on top of all the other factors pointing to Taiwan Jones being safe - we just traded one of our core Special Teamers away (after already losing Dean Marlowe, one of our core pieces in FA). Yet you still have him being released.

You once asked me if I was related to him. Now I ask you - did he kick your dog or something?

I didn’t even mention Taiwan in that post clearly wrote the final roster prior to this trade lol

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I think they made a decision to keep the guy who was looking better at DE over the guy who was developing at DE and the better special teamer.

I approve the decision

1 hour ago, Mat68 said:

2 Qbs

4 Rbs

1 Fb

7 Wr

3 Te

8 Oline

Offense 25 

I don't think they're going to keep only 9 OLmen. 

Last year anyway, if you dressed at least 8 OLmen you got to have more active players on the gameday roster.  Dunno if it'll be that way, but hard to dress 8 with injuries if you only have 9

33 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I didn’t even mention Taiwan in that post clearly wrote the final roster prior to this trade lol

Correct - but Daryl Johnson was one of the key pieces of our Special Teams core. It was his biggest role on this team. In an earlier post you even used keeping Daryl Johnson as a reason why they could afford to cut Taiwan agreeing that it's unlikely that they cut both pieces on that side of the ball. Now Johnson's out the door and with the extra spot on your roster - you still give it to someone else.

In your defense, I do see your roster being almost perfect otherwise. And I do lean towards Obada staying now as well. The difference in your projection vs. mine is that in keeping 6 DE's (of which 3 have the ability to shift inside on occasion), I don't see them also keeping 5 DT's. Either Zimmer or Phillips will be released. And with Phillips being injured, he'll probably be put on the IR anyways. 

12 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think they made a decision to keep the guy who was looking better at DE over the guy who was developing at DE and the better special teamer.

I approve the decision

I don't think they're going to keep only 9 OLmen. 

Last year anyway, if you dressed at least 8 OLmen you got to have more active players on the gameday roster.  Dunno if it'll be that way, but hard to dress 8 with injuries if you only have 9

I think its 8 to 9.  I do not see a way 10 can make it.  Doyle is possible for 9 because of traits.  Bobby Hart? Jack Anderson?  You would have to give up a guy who will be on the field for a 1 maybe 2 oline who wont dress.  Week 1 I think Bates Boetger and Brown all dress.  I think Jack anderson and probably Doyle clear waivers and come back on practice squad.  I would expect a 3 maybe 4 Olineman on practice squad.  As injuries come you move guys up and down.  The bottom depth of our Oline is rough.  I would rather have a 3 rd Te over a 9th lineman right now.  Beane does a great job of churning the bottom of the roster.  Oline is a place thats needed.  Cut the fat and add to it as the season goes on. 

1 minute ago, Mat68 said:

I think its 8 to 9.  I do not see a way 10 can make it.  Doyle is possible for 9 because of traits.  Bobby Hart? Jack Anderson?  You would have to give up a guy who will be on the field for a 1 maybe 2 oline who wont dress.  Week 1 I think Bates Boetger and Brown all dress.  I think Jack anderson and probably Doyle clear waivers and come back on practice squad.  I would expect a 3 maybe 4 Olineman on practice squad.  As injuries come you move guys up and down.  The bottom depth of our Oline is rough.  I would rather have a 3 rd Te over a 9th lineman right now.  Beane does a great job of churning the bottom of the roster.  Oline is a place thats needed.  Cut the fat and add to it as the season goes on. 

They could end up post dust settling with 10 if the 10th is currently on a roster elsewhere.

1 hour ago, Mat68 said:

2 Qbs

4 Rbs

1 Fb

7 Wr

3 Te

8 Oline

Offense 25 

6 De

4 Dt

6 Lb

5 Cb

4 Saftey

25 Defense

Trading Johnson cleared up the hardest position on the team.  I went with Dodson over Butler and Jaquan Johnson. I felt Hamlin and Thomas earned a roster spot this preseason.  A guy I am curious about is Mccloud.  I felt like he was the best Cb after White, Wallace, Johnson and Jackson.  

I am also on the Nick McCloud bandwagon. I was really hoping he would show more in the 3rd game, made some nice plays on the ball in game 1 and 2.

Tre White mentioned him in an interview.

2 minutes ago, ThurmanThomasEnglishMuffin said:

I am also on the Nick McCloud bandwagon. I was really hoping he would show more in the 3rd game, made some nice plays on the ball in game 1 and 2.

Tre White mentioned him in an interview.

Had a good game against Chicago. Not so much against Detroit IMO.

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

They could end up post dust settling with 10 if the 10th is currently on a roster elsewhere.

To do so you need an available roster spot.  Im having trouble getting to 53 let alone 51.  I could see them adding a vet if anyone falls on IR return. 

2 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

To do so you need an available roster spot.  Im having trouble getting to 53 let alone 51.  I could see them adding a vet if anyone falls on IR return. 

Well I had 7 DEs so technically I have an open spot now on "my" 53. 

12 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

I think its 8 to 9.  I do not see a way 10 can make it.  

FWIW, the Bills kept 10 last season.  6 IOL and 4 OT, counting Bates and Ford (who can actually play some tackle) as IOL

12 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

Doyle is possible for 9 because of traits.  Bobby Hart? Jack Anderson?  You would have to give up a guy who will be on the field for a 1 maybe 2 oline who wont dress.

Several media members covering the Bills have suggested that the Bills will be signing an OT who is currently on another roster, in place of Bobby Hart.

Which is why we should not "have a cow" if Hart makes the 53-man roster while we sort through the cut-off bin. 

It's also possible we wind up trading for a servicable vet.

I don't think Anderson makes the roster. We do still seem to love us some Jordan Devey (though he can't play C and he can't play T) but, FWIW, we have Jamil Douglas ahead of him on the depth chart currently and I haven't heard his name too much - which is often a Good Thing for an IOL

You might rather have a 3rd TE over a 9th OLman, but ask yourself if you'd like to finish a game with any TE but Lee Smith playing OL?

1 hour ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Correct - but Daryl Johnson was one of the key pieces of our Special Teams core. It was his biggest role on this team. In an earlier post you even used keeping Daryl Johnson as a reason why they could afford to cut Taiwan agreeing that it's unlikely that they cut both pieces on that side of the ball. Now Johnson's out the door and with the extra spot on your roster - you still give it to someone else.

In your defense, I do see your roster being almost perfect otherwise. And I do lean towards Obada staying now as well. The difference in your projection vs. mine is that in keeping 6 DE's (of which 3 have the ability to shift inside on occasion), I don't see them also keeping 5 DT's. Either Zimmer or Phillips will be released. And with Phillips being injured, he'll probably be put on the IR anyways. 

I dont disagree about DJ and being a core ST, but we have other core ST players here too that are likely sticking around.  I have nothing against Taiwan at all, and totally fine if he makes the team.  

My thing on Taiwan is that I just feel that if they keep Brieda it will because they have plans for him in the offense, not as an emergency RB.  I cant imagine them having 5 RB's active on gameday between Devin, Moss, Brieda, Gilliam and Taiwan.  And given I think Devin, Moss, and Gilliam are locks to remain, that leaves one active roster spot left, and I just think its gonna be Brieda.  We have a lot of really good ST players still on this team too, so I just don't see him as a guy we cant afford to lose over another guy who will contribute more overall.  

But by no means am I saying he cant make the team, just my opinion based on the reasons I have already stated that I think he likely doesn't.  And IMHO, Daryl Johnson is a better overall player than Taiwan, so in my mind it shows that being a ST ace isn't enough to automatically stick on the 53.  

And I agree on the DT's, but I think Phillips injury kind of forced their hand to initially keep 5.  But if he will miss a couple weeks, I think they will just IR him after the 53 and bring someone back...and thats very possible to be a ST contributor too like say Taiwan. 

26 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I dont disagree about DJ and being a core ST, but we have other core ST players here too that are likely sticking around.  I have nothing against Taiwan at all, and totally fine if he makes the team.  

My thing on Taiwan is that I just feel that if they keep Brieda it will because they have plans for him in the offense, not as an emergency RB.  I cant imagine them having 5 RB's active on gameday between Devin, Moss, Brieda, Gilliam and Taiwan.  And given I think Devin, Moss, and Gilliam are locks to remain, that leaves one active roster spot left, and I just think its gonna be Brieda.  We have a lot of really good ST players still on this team too, so I just don't see him as a guy we cant afford to lose over another guy who will contribute more overall.  

But by no means am I saying he cant make the team, just my opinion based on the reasons I have already stated that I think he likely doesn't.  And IMHO, Daryl Johnson is a better overall player than Taiwan, so in my mind it shows that being a ST ace isn't enough to automatically stick on the 53.  

And I agree on the DT's, but I think Phillips injury kind of forced their hand to initially keep 5.  But if he will miss a couple weeks, I think they will just IR him after the 53 and bring someone back...and thats very possible to be a ST contributor too like say Taiwan. 

Johnson and Jones don't do the same thing on teams. Taiwan is making this roster and I think VERY likely that there are lots of gamedays this year where Breida is inactive.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I really don't see them taking carries away from Singletary and Moss for Breida. If that were the plan, they'd have signed a more established back. Not a career journeyman a week before the Draft for league minimum. He's their new TJ Yeldon. He'll be inactive on game days and only play if there's an injury to one of the other two or one of them proves ineffective and they feel they need a spark later in the season. 

McDermott isn't the type for a 3 headed monster. Seems to me he feels that messes up the rhythm of the runners. He always runs with 3 RB's active on GameDay with an emergency back not dressed. It's always 2 Runners, 1 ST'er on GameDay:

2018 - McCoy, Ivory, T. Jones (ST), Ford Inactive

2019 - Singletary, Gore, S. Perry (ST), Yeldon Inactive

2020 - Singletary, Moss, T. Jones (ST), Yeldon Inactive

2021 - Singletary, Moss, T. Jones (ST), Breida Inactive

With key contributors like Daryl Johnson, Dean Marlowe, and Andre Roberts gone from the Special Teams - there is absolutely no way they're going to volunteer losing their ace on top of it. That's just relying on too many changes and camp projections for that side of the ball. And their actions with Jones this offseason points to that. 

On 8/29/2021 at 2:01 PM, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Agreed. I sort of wonder if Doyle might have some mysterious injury appear—

I think he was dinged up against Chicago. He would be a great guy to stash on IR for a bit. 

For sure.  I don’t think this kid has any business stepping on the field during the 2021 season.  He’s a waste of a roster spot this year.   IR him with a phantom injury 

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, NewEra said:

For sure.  I don’t think this kid has any business stepping on the field during the 2021 season.  He’s a waste of a roster spot this year.   IR him with a phantom injury 

It's really not that simple. You can't just say they're injured and stick them on IR no questions asked. There's a misconception that we did that with Vosean Joseph and Isaiah Hodgins. Both underwent surgeries:

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2019/09/10/bills-lb-vosean-joseph-undergoes-surgery/

https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/shoulder-surgery-sidelines-bills-wide-receiver-isaiah-hodgins-for-season/article_f0c504ea-3a3d-11eb-9ca9-23611a374367.html

I believe for us to that with Doyle, he'd need an injury that they at least think will require surgery in the near future. 

59 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

It's really not that simple. You can't just say they're injured and stick them on IR no questions asked. There's a misconception that we did that with Vosean Joseph and Isaiah Hodgins. Both underwent surgeries:

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2019/09/10/bills-lb-vosean-joseph-undergoes-surgery/

https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/shoulder-surgery-sidelines-bills-wide-receiver-isaiah-hodgins-for-season/article_f0c504ea-3a3d-11eb-9ca9-23611a374367.html

I believe for us to that with Doyle, he'd need an injury that they at least think will require surgery in the near future. 

Indeed but they are not always surgeries for new injuries or things that must be cleaned up immediately. I think the Bills will probably carry Doyle on the 53 because of lack of alternatives at this point though.

Looks like I missed 3.  

Technically, on my roster Taiwan took the spot I had assigned to Ferguson.  Ferguson however is reportedly coming right back, didnt really miss on him per se, but Taiwan replaced him in my mock from a numbers stand point. 

Obada took Daryl Johnson's spot at DE (had Obada as the one getting traded in my last mock)

Sweeney took Hollister's spot.  Didn't see Hollister not making the final 53, but he could just be someone the cut to bring back after they make some IR moves.

So not bad, 3 off really, and one may be back too (Hollister).  What I am curious about is who goes to IR to make room for Ferguson and will there be another to make room for Hollister or is he just perm cut.  

• Like (+1) 3

35 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Looks like I missed 3.  

Technically, on my roster Taiwan took the spot I had assigned to Ferguson.  Ferguson however is reportedly coming right back, didnt really miss on him per se, but Taiwan replaced him in my mock from a numbers stand point. 

Obada took Daryl Johnson's spot at DE (had Obada as the one getting traded in my last mock)

Sweeney took Hollister's spot.  Didn't see Hollister not making the final 53, but he could just be someone the cut to bring back after they make some IR moves.

So not bad, 3 off really, and one may be back too (Hollister).  What I am curious about is who goes to IR to make room for Ferguson and will there be another to make room for Hollister or is he just perm cut.  

Yep, You did Well. 

In fact I believe you beat out Joe B.

Here's his:

The Initial 53-Man Roster Projection

Quarterback (2): Josh Allen, Mitchell Trubisky

Running Back (3): Zack Moss, Devin Singletary, Matt Breida

Wide Receiver (8): Stefon Diggs, Emmanuel Sanders, Cole Beasley, Gabriel Davis, Isaiah McKenzie, Jake Kumerow, Marquez Stevenson, Isaiah Hodgins

Tight End/Fullback (2): Dawson Knox, Reggie Gilliam

Offensive Tackles (4): Dion Dawkins, Daryl Williams, Spencer Brown, Tommy Doyle

Interior Offensive Line (5): Mitch Morse, Jon Feliciano, Cody Ford, Ike Boettger, Ryan Bates

Defensive Ends (7): Jerry Hughes, Greg Rousseau, Mario Addison, A.J. Epenesa, Boogie Basham, Efe Obada, Darryl Johnson

Defensive Tackles (5): Ed Oliver, Star Lotulelei, Justin Zimmer, Harrison Phillips, Vernon Butler

Linebackers (5): Tremaine Edmunds, Matt Milano, A.J. Klein, Andre Smith, Tyler Matakevich

Cornerbacks (5): Tre’Davious White, Levi Wallace, Taron Johnson, Dane Jackson, Siran Neal

Safeties (4): Micah Hyde, Jordan Poyer, Jaquan Johnson, Damar Hamlin

Specialists (3): K Tyler Bass, P Matt Haack, LS Reid Ferguson

His misses:

RB/ST Taiwan Jones (made roster)

WR Isaiah Hodgins (cut)

TE Tommy Sweeney (made roster)

DE: Darryl Johnson (traded)

LB: Tyrel Dodson (made roster)

Specialists: LS Reid Ferguson (cut)

You did well!

Take a bow!

• Thank you (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Looks like I missed 3.  

Nicely done! I think Sweeney to IR. And then either Harry or McKenzie.  

As mentioned elsewhere, Hollister isn't a forgone conclusion to return, although he would make the most sense and I'd genuinely be shocked if he doesn't get signed back tomorrow.

My guess is then Sweeney/Harry to IR, for Reid/Hollister.  

• Agree 1

18 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

Nicely done! I think Sweeney to IR. And then either Harry or McKenzie.  

As mentioned elsewhere, Hollister isn't a forgone conclusion to return, although he would make the most sense and I'd genuinely be shocked if he doesn't get signed back tomorrow.

My guess is then Sweeney/Harry to IR, for Reid/Hollister.  

I feel like Hollister is coming back to, but its going to require 2 to IR given Ferguson is already reportedly coming back.  My guess is its Sweeney and Harry potentially too.  

If they put Phillips and Sweeney on IR today and bring back Hollister and Ferguson (they are definitely brining back Ferguson, Hollister looks questionable) then I was one player out in the one I suggested the other day. Basically they kept Dodson in place of Bam Johnson.