Justin Zimmer, from DII long shot to serious DT prospect

41 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

He might be the most athletic player on the entire team.

People talk about Allen being a freaky athlete but Zimmer is, I think, even a step above that...for his position he is all-time freaky.

Yea he is athletic. That doesn't make you a talented DT. 

• Sad 1

39 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

How many plays did Butler make last year you can remember?

To be honest maybe 1. I think there was a stop in the goalline sequence against the 49ers but I might have misremembered that.

But that isn't really my point. I am not arguing Butler definitely should be on this roster and Zimmer definitely shouldn't. My question is more one of whether Zimmer really belongs on the roster of a team with Superbowl aspirations. You can ask the same about Butler, of course, and 4 DTs are going to make so it least 1 of them will but once you get beyond Ed and Star I don't really have huge belief in any of them.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

To be honest maybe 1. I think there was a stop in the goalline sequence against the 49ers but I might have misremembered that.

But that isn't really my point. I am not arguing Butler definitely should be on this roster and Zimmer definitely shouldn't. My question is more one of whether Zimmer really belongs on the roster of a team with Superbowl aspirations. You can ask the same about Butler, of course, and 4 DTs are going to make so it least 1 of them will but once you get beyond Ed and Star I don't really have huge belief in any of them.

Zimmer has a knack for making game changing plays. I want a dude like that on my team. He did it against NE. Almost did it against KC if not for an inch and replay review.

You never know when he might make a play like that late in a key playoff game.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Zimmer has a knack for making game changing plays. I want a dude like that on my team. He did it against NE. Almost did it against KC if not for an inch and replay review.

You never know when he might make a play like that late in a key playoff game.

He also has a knack for failing to anchor and being moved out of his lane. How many mistakes do I have to accept for the possibility he makes one game changing play? I don't hate Zimmer, but he is a marginal NFL talent. He is a 4th DT somewhere. If that is here so be it but I think we still lack depth at that spot for a team with SB aspirations.

• Sad 1
  • Disagree 1

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

He also has a knack for failing to anchor and being moved out of his lane. How many mistakes do I have to accept for the possibility he makes one game changing play? I don't hate Zimmer, but he is a marginal NFL talent. He is a 4th DT somewhere. If that is here so be it but I think we still lack depth at that spot for a team with SB aspirations.

I will bet he has improved more than Butler has. He might get moved around some but he also ends up in the backfield a lot as well.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

I will bet he has improved more than Butler has. He might get moved around some but he also ends up in the backfield a lot as well.

Again it isn't a Zimmer v Butler thing for me at all. I am not here defending Butler but some people are over the top on Zimmer. Nice kid, athletically gifted, nice story and he made a game winning play against the Patriots. But there is a reason that age 28 after five years in the league he has never started a game and has been cut by 4 teams - including this one. If he makes it instead of Butler or Phillips I doubt there is any significant drop off in play but I' d say the same the other way around. 

3 hours ago, beavis said:

That's not an inspiring list. 5 years in, still waiting. A few more years, retirement. By this time, if he was going to do it, he would have done it. And that's in a league and position where you know what you got right out of the gate first look.

"I'm sure you're right." ~ Lorax

• Haha (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Again it isn't a Zimmer v Butler thing for me at all. I am not here defending Butler but some people are over the top on Zimmer. Nice kid, athletically gifted, nice story and he made a game winning play against the Patriots. But there is a reason that age 28 after five years in the league he has never started a game and has been cut by 4 teams - including this one. If he makes it instead of Butler or Phillips I doubt there is any significant drop off in play but I' d say the same the other way around. 

So basically, you're saying there's no significant difference between Butler, Phillips, and Zimmer?  And since you're saying Zimmer is a "marginal NFL talent" transitive property would say Butler and Phillips are also "marginal NFL talents"?

I'm not trying to put words in your mouth here, just trying to connect the dots of the various things you're saying.

42 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I wouldn’t be so quick to assume Harry makes the roster, no?

3 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

I think he can make the team over Vernon Butler, I’m just not sure the team keeps 4 DTs. 
I think there’s a strong chance they keep 6 DEs. 

The team might like to keep 6 DEs, but I think there is zero chance they keep less than 4 DTs.

They kept 4 DTs last year with Quinton Jefferson, who was kind of a "tweener", as one of them, and that was regarded as kind of thin on DT.

1 hour ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

I wouldn’t be so quick to assume Harry makes the roster, no?

I foresee a presser where Beane says cutting Phillips was the hardest decision he made and that some other team is going to get a good football player. Maybe they can flip him for a late round draft pick.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

FWIW, the Bills kept 4 DT and 5 DE last season.  One of the DTs was Q Jefferson, who was a bit of a "hybrid", and between injuries and Star opting out, it was a bit of a problem.

I won't tell you it's impossible that they keep Zimmer over Butler.  But Butler is the biggest guy (height and weight) on a relatively undersized group of DTs, so I think he gets every chance to earn his spot.

1 tech we have Harry and Star, 3-tech we have Oliver and someone else. I think it does play into the equation that both of the DEs we drafted and Efe Obada have spent significant time inside. Butler is big, but I have not been very impressed with him. Harry is pretty much the size of Zimmer, but Zimmer is probably a little more explosive. Want to figure out something tougher than picking DTs? How many DEs can we keep this year? Obada, Hughes, Addison, Epenesa, Rousseau, Basham, Darryl Johnson. At first blush you'd think Addison/Obada and Johnson. I dunno if it's that cut and dry.

I'm a Zimmer fan......little higher on him than @GunnerBill......which is probably because I am a bigger fan of big play players on both sides of the ball.

But he and Kumerow are entering their age 29 seasons........"prospect" is generally synonymous with "young".

If they have breakout seasons it's actually more interesting to me than younger players doing so...........and probably reflects well on the Bills organization for elevating a couple guys who weren't valued at this time last season.

• Like (+1) 1