Matt Barkley signs with Titans (update - Released)

5 minutes ago, msw2112 said:

It's amazing to think that Barkley might well have gone 1st overall had he left USC a year earlier.  After Barkely, Leinart, and Darnold, I am not in favor of drafting USC QB's high.

That aside, I don't think Barkley sucks.  He's a good NFL 3rd string QB and potentially decent 2nd string QB.  He lacks physical ability, but he can learn an offense and can mentor younger guys.  He's a class act and a great teammate.  I also believe he could do OK as a spot starter with time to prepare by getting the reps in practice, as he did vs. the Jests a few years ago.  He also played well in relief against Miami in the finale last year, but again, he knew he would be playing.  He's not great coming in cold off the bench and I don't think he can carry a team for an extended string of games and certianly not for an entire season, which is exactly why the Bills moved on and signed Trubisky.  I wish him well and hope him signing with a rival won't come back to haunt the Bills much.  I don't think it will.

Now Kizer, he sucks.

All those usc guys played in a different system than the current, I think. Not sure about Darnold, did he play for Helton? Anyway, not sure how long Helton will be there either so I guess what I’m saying is the only thing they have in common is the helmet. Well, Leinart and Barkley both went to mater dei HS. But so did bama’s current QB1

Edited by YoloinOhio

2 hours ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

nice. Matt Cassel was also the official starter for that one game in Rex's first season - a game that we won though he did not register a pass attempt. I think old timers might remember Brain McClure's lone winning start as well.

I have to research the Cassel game, he won and didnt throw a pass?  He must have been replaced fairly early.

8 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

I have to research the Cassel game, he won and didnt throw a pass?  He must have been replaced fairly early.

I think that was the one where he was credited with the start because Tuhrod lined up at WR on the 1st play. 

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

He literally was just under center for the first play of the game

So he got credited with the start

• Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

IIRC the first play of the Game Cassel was under center and Tyrod was split out wide.  That counts as a start at QB for Cassel and a start at WR for TT. 

Good for him. I love it when good guys with a little less God-given talent can manage to stick around. Even the lowest-paid player on an NFL roster is making serious bank compared to the rest of us schmucks. Matt showed he can handle himself on an NFL field, and was a great teammate.