• Raintree Inn
    • La Nova
    • Gabriel's Gate
    • Nine-Eleven Tavern
    • The 33 Speakeasy Grill
    • Route78 Street Bar
    • Mr Goodbar

45 minutes ago, The Dean said:

The original Duffs location makes GREAT wings. But it has no atmosphere at all. I was a bit surprised to find it really hadn't changed since the last time I was there--maybe 6-8 years ago. I will say the service was fantastic, though.

I really doesn’t seem to have changed much since I was last there……40+ years ago! 

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, The Dean said:

The original Duffs location makes GREAT wings. But it has no atmosphere at all. I was a bit surprised to find it really hadn't changed since the last time I was there--maybe 6-8 years ago. I will say the service was fantastic, though.

Yeah, wings and service were top notch.  But the lack of other appealing menu options was a big negative and then no atmosphere or TV's to enjoy wings and watch the game is what did them in for me.  But they did have excellent wings, no complaints at all about those.  But I will give the other location a try as you suggested next time in town along with Gabriels Gate and Anchor Bar.

I will say the only thing on my trip that was actually disappointing food wise was the Beef on Weck.  We didn't get it...it was essentially a plain French Dip or roast beef sandwich, had no special characteristics at all after it had been hyped up so much.  And we had it at Bar-Bill which many people told was one of the best.  So we didn't bother trying any other spots for it if we thought one of the best was bit blah and boring.  I will say I really loved the Bar-Bill Pizza though, we did the trifecta and split it of wings (Josh Allen style), pizza, and the beef on weck and both were like meh on the sandwich.  

If I am being honest I can think of a number of places here in LA that have a roast beef sandwich or French dip that squash that Beef on Weck we had.  But outside of that, we had an amazing food trip.  

NOTE:  Sophia's for breakfast is bomb.  Loved that place too, I think it was also on Diners, Dives, and Drive Ins too.  They mentioned something about it when we were there.  And we loved Toutant too, albeit its a pretty heavy dinner so go hungry lol.  

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

In the original Duffs there is a bar but its right when you walk in and almost like a hostess station more than a bar lol.  They sat us in the corner next to it.  We wanted to get Anchor Bar in as well, but just ran out of time, but at least we got them at the airport.  And for airport food, I was quite pleased even though it was expensive at $14 for 5 wings and a small side of fries.  But for the airport it was totally worth it and hit the spot.  

I spent my pre-flight time on the way home at the Anchor Bar airport location, and ran into some folks from the tailgate. Bills fans know how to travel! Our DIL was shocked and still brings up that about 60% of our flight in from Chicago was wearing Bills gear. It was AWESOME! 

Airports are never cheap, and something has happened with wing prices lately. I had lunch at a place today with different sized orders for wings. They all said “Market”. What is this? Lobster? I fear Randolph and Mortimer may have successfully cornered the wing market!!! 

Edited by Augie
  • Haha (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Augie said:

Seriously, do they even have a BAR? A dive bar needs a BAR! I tried getting in for some wings on recent trips and gave up. Too crowded, but at one point I was parked and went in looking for a single seat at the bar. I didn’t even see a bar! Did I miss it? It was so crowded I might have missed it. 

The original Duffs is NOT a bar. Period.  It is a restaurant. I don't even think it has a liquor license outside of beer and wine.

On 7/26/2021 at 1:19 PM, dorquemada said:

I'll also let you rookies in on a secret...order them extra crispy.  Very few places (especially outside of Buffalo!) make properly crispy wings.  I've finally broken the takeout places near where I live and they make the wings correctly.  No, they insist, soggy slimy wings are what people want!

Amen. The order extra crispy everywhere I go. 

On 7/26/2021 at 1:23 PM, teef said:

take out wings, no matter how crispy i ask for them, are always rubbery.  every single time.  

Agreed. They usually steam in the container, so even once crisp wings get soggy. 

• Like (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

Amen. The order extra crispy everywhere I go. 

Agreed. They usually steam in the container, so even once crisp wings get soggy. 

The biggest issue is the takeout containers, IMO. Foam containers are the worst.. Cardboard/composite of some sort is much better, especially if it has steam escape holes. But of course, takeout is virtually never as good as eating it right after they come out.

Pizza is similar, IMO. The pizza maker at one place here in St Augustine would take an ice pick and poke holes in the top of the pizza box. It made a huge difference in the crust when you got home. Truth is, the pizza was just OK, but he cared enough to take the extra effort.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, SoMAn said:

For all the wing places that get high grades such as Gabriel's Gate, Bar Bill, Duff's, etc. - what makes their wings better than those from other wing places?

Consistency, attention to detail.  Places that don't care about putting out quality wings will drop order after order of frozen wings into oil that isn't given enough time to come back up to temp.  As a result, lots of wings with soggy skin get served.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Jauronimo said:

Consistency, attention to detail.  Places that don't care about putting out quality wings will drop order after order of frozen wings into oil that isn't given enough time to come back up to temp.  As a result, lots of wings with soggy skin get served.

I grew up working at pizzerias and my friend owns one in the city still 

I've never seen anybody drop straight frozen wings before... Sure constantly dropping wings will drop the temperature of the oil a bit, which could affect the texture

But I've never seen anybody drop straight Frozen wings.. that would be ludicrous in buffalo

Even when my friend had to buy Frozen wings because they were a lot cheaper than fresh.. he would thaw them out over a long long period of time

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 7/26/2021 at 1:37 PM, teef said:

maybe that's it.  i assume the take out pizza places for the most part use frozen, because they have that chewy texture every single time.  i just assumed they were always rubbery, with or without the wing.

Steams in the box with sauce and makes the wings soggy or rubbery. Work around is to order them with the sauce on the side, heat them in an air frier for a few minutes, then toss in the sauce and enjoy. 

• Like (+1) 2

41 minutes ago, Buffalo Junction said:

Steams in the box with sauce and makes the wings soggy or rubbery. Work around is to order them with the sauce on the side, heat them in an air frier for a few minutes, then toss in the sauce and enjoy. 

the next time i order wings, this will be my move.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Billschinatown said:

Wings are getting really expensive lately!

As I mentioned somewhere else, I was at a pizza place this week and the price for their wings on the menu was “Market”.  What is this. LOBSTER? It’s gotten crazy! 

32 minutes ago, teef said:

the next time i order wings, this will be my move.  

I used to HATE this, but my son would order wings naked with the sauce on the side. I must admit, it kept them crispier, even if it brought shame on our family roots.

• Shocked 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.