Another team wins a major sports championship for the first time in many decades/ever...Milwaukee Bucks. When is it our turn??

Before this gets moved to OTW:

1. Folks who aren't NBA fans/didn't watch this finals missed some fantastic games. I'll admit it: I'm not much of a regular season NBA fan. But last year's "bubble" playoffs and this year's finals were awesome.

2. Why did I seem to care so much about the Bucks winning? It's a Buffalo/small market thing. It just meant so much more to Milwaukee than it meant to Phoenix, a city of non-stop growth with people resettling from any and every where. More people gathered outside to watch the games on a big screen than actually fit in the arena. Meanwhile ... apparently no public gathering in the desert heat. This is what Buffalo would look like if the Sabres could ever make a run again!

3. Plus, Giannis said hell with all that big market/marketing thing, I'm staying in Milwaukee. There's more to life than hob nobbing with the stars, or taking one's talents to South Beach. In modern pro sports there's little connection between the player and the community when the player gets drafted or signs. But some guys develop that connection, and it's special when it happens. Josh Allen, pay attention ... 

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

Italy loss went a bit rough for your country, man. My condolences

Indeed. I was at Wembley too. Gutting. But they did deserve it. They edged the game, and were the one team in the tournament who over the whole piece I thought were better than England. So no complaints. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Indeed but despite all that he is 31-10 as a starting Quarterback including playoffs. They are brilliantly coached, they have a great front office and they have a really strong roster around Lamar. Him not being a great passer has been 31-10. They have upgraded as wide receiver too. I think their path is narrower than some of the others (I feel the same about Tennessee) because they have a clear QB limitation and so less margin for error, but they have a shot at being in the Superbowl. I think it is those 5 in the AFC. KC, Buffalo, Cleveland and then a bit more of an outside shot Baltimore and Tennessee. 

1-3 in the playoffs.  Baltimore in their current iteration are a team built to win lots of regular season games.  Well, what's wrong with that, you say?  Nothing really, as it means everyone keeping their jobs and annual playoff appearances.  I don't know of anyone, though, who thinks that offense is going to win a Super Bowl.  I think if Lamar was going to make a jump forward as a passer it would have been last season.

A sinister part of me hopes they continue to own Cleveland, though.

7 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Over the past several years we have watched teams that have either never won a championship before or won for the first time in many decades in major sports hoist the trophy in their respective sport:

Golden State Warriors

Cleveland Cavs

Philadelphia Eagles

Washington Nationals

Houston Astros

Toronto Raptors

St. Louis Blues

Washington Capitals

Chicago Cubs

Boston Red Sox

KC Royals

I am super happy for these teams and their fans that they get to celebrate but I can't help feel a little bit jealous...when is it our turn with the Bills or Sabres?? 

They won 4 WS between 2004 and 2018.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Indeed. I was at Wembley too. Gutting. But they did deserve it. They edged the game, and were the one team in the tournament who over the whole piece I thought were better than England. So no complaints. 

Please tell me you were not "Tail" Gunner Bill, a/k/a Charlie Perry.

Bills Mafia, your move ...

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, eball said:

1-3 in the playoffs.  Baltimore in their current iteration are a team built to win lots of regular season games.  Well, what's wrong with that, you say?  Nothing really, as it means everyone keeping their jobs and annual playoff appearances.  I don't know of anyone, though, who thinks that offense is going to win a Super Bowl.  I think if Lamar was going to make a jump forward as a passer it would have been last season.

A sinister part of me hopes they continue to own Cleveland, though.

That offense can't win multiple Superbowls. But it got to one with Roman and Kap. You might say the road is harder in the AFC now than the NFC then and you could have a point but they upgraded at receiver they have two good backs, two good tight ends, the best young left tackle in football. 

Baltimore's road is narrower. Their margin for error is reduced. Maybe they pay Lamar after this year have to shed pieces and it disappears totally, but as presently constituted Baltimore could make a Superbowl. They would need things to go their way but there is a route for them. 

3 hours ago, Motorin' said:

I had never heard of the Rochester Royals, let alone that they has won an NBA championship. Wow

I am a Rochester native and I didn’t learn about it until very recently. It’s crazy to think that we have a title in one of the Big 4 major sports in America. I knew the Royals existed. Heck, I’ve even have a Royals jersey and STILL didn’t know they were champions. 😄

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

White Sox: 2005.

First time in many decades... Maybe they should have phrased it: "Another in many decades..."

The OP and title was changed after I posted that. It was originally first time a team ever won.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I also find it interesting that the Bucks beat the Suns.  Both came into the league same year (1967).  Bucks won a coin flip and got Lew Alcindor.  Suns got Neal Walk (the "Human Sweater").  I think the Suns are the Sabres' doppelganger.  Both teams entered their respective leagues around the same time (late '60's early '70's), had some early success (Suns lost in NBA finals to Celtics, Sabres lost NHL finals to Flyers), were generally good but not great teams for decades, had one more run at a championship (Suns with Barkley, Sabres with Hasek),  both went into an ugly 10 year funk - and there the stories diverge.  Suns look like they will compete for a title for at least a couple more years while the Sabres are an ongoing dumpster fire. 

Rochester Royals have an interesting history.  Moved to Cincinnati and became Cincinnati Royals.  Got hometown hero Oscar Robertson but didn't win anything.  Became the Kansas City-Omaha Kings, then the Kansas City Kings, then the Sacramento Kings (with fellow California NBA team the Los Angeles Clippers, formerly San Diego Clippers, formerly your Buffalo Braves).  

9 hours ago, Gugny said:

The Bucks won the NBA Championship in 1971.

I got rebounds for the Bucks at halftime and sat under the basket during a game at the Aud that year. I went to the game early with my older brother who was an usher. I was wearing my JC Penney

Junior Buffalo Braves sweatshirt and was chosen to be the ball boy for the game. Alcindor stood next to me and handed me the ball to toss out to the shooters (changed his name later that year). Oscar Robertson shook my hand. I was 10 and will never forget it.

Edited by Turk71
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

I got rebounds for the Bucks at halftime and sat under the basket during a game at the Aud that year. I went to the game early with my older brother who was an usher. I was wearing my JC Penney

Junior Buffalo Braves sweatshirt and was chosen to be the ball boy for the game. Alcindor stood next to me and handed me the ball to toss out to the shooters (changed his name later that year). Oscar Robertson shook my hand. I was 10 and will never forget it.

That is AWESOME!  What an experience!

• Thank you (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

That's awesome!

A friend of mine in HS somehow got to be a Ball Boy for the Hawks in the late 90's.  He quit after a year because he was bored with it.  He wasn't a big sports guy.

All of us were actually pissed at him.  He was on the court and saw Michael, Kobe, Shaq, Allen Iverson etc....and got bored.

1 minute ago, Jauronimo said:

Thats where you and others can file all your serious concerns about cheating in baseball and the integrity of the game.   

I honestly don't really give a ***** that they cheated with the trash cans.  Cheating has always been part of the game.  Cheating with electronics is what crosses the line for me. 

I am convinced that that midget, Altuve, was wearing a wire.  

Just now, Gugny said:

I honestly don't really give a ***** that they cheated with the trash cans.  Cheating has always been part of the game.  Cheating with electronics is what crosses the line for me. 

I am convinced that that midget, Altuve, was wearing a wire.  

I don't care that they cheated because the Yankees, Red Sox, and every other team that was good was and still is cheating.  Cheating is foundational to the game and the line is constantly being pushed. If Altuve was wearing a wire and getting tips as to what pitch with an artificially high spin rate was coming from and HGH riddled pitcher, I still don't care.  

What have they done since they got caught? Nearly won a second title and sit in first place currently.