You Can Only Pick One CD

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

KISS - Alive II

320940[/snapback]

:( It's 1977, and a young AD is ready to go out trick-or-treating dressed as Gene Simmons, with the face-paint, high heeled boots, electric guitar and a wig covering his mullet. The neighbors all agree that kid ain't right. ;)

You know you're getting old when the music you're naming here was also available on 8-track when it was released.

I agree. Lets throw trespass( the Knife, Stagnation,looking for someone) in there to. I didn't want to get carried away but now that I see My fellow Bills brothers are into The Greatest Group of all time. I thought it was great to be able to buy almost 3 albums a year Phil Collins solos, Peter Gabriel solos,Genesis and later even Mike and the Mechanics albums Name another group who for 20 years have came even close to producing what these guys have done and are never considered one of the great groups

320969[/snapback]

I hear you!

And I actually like Steve Hackett's (Defector) and Tony Banks (a Curious Feeling) best of any of the solo alblums.

Tony and Steve each have new classic music CDs out now.

How many rock bands have not one but two people in them that can write classic music for an orchestra as well?

No Matter How Many Times You Play It --  On A Desert Island Or The Arctic

Mine - Meat Loaf - Bat Out Of Hell

Don't Equivocate Too Much  :(

320541[/snapback]

If I have a lifetime supply of beer, I'd want "Greatest Irish Drinking Songs" by various artists. If not, I'd want Carbon Leaf's "echo echo."

Either way, I'd need my guitar.

I agree. Lets throw trespass( the Knife, Stagnation,looking for someone) in there to. I didn't want to get carried away but now that I see My fellow Bills brothers are into The Greatest Group of all time. I thought it was great to be able to buy almost 3 albums a year Phil Collins solos, Peter Gabriel solos,Genesis and later even Mike and the Mechanics albums Name another group who for 20 years have came even close to producing what these guys have done and are never considered one of the great groups

320969[/snapback]

You're forgetting Steve Hackett who, believe it or not, has released more material than all the other ex-Genesis members combined.

Bruce Springsteen.  Darkness On The Edge Of Town.

321064[/snapback]

Speaking of Bruce ... Has anyone heard the new Devils + Dust CD? I picked it up yesterday and I've only listened to it once. So far, I'll say that it's better than his previous "acoustic" albums ... Nebraska + The Ghost of Tom Joad. The song "Reno" definitely leaves nothing to the imagination.

Here are the lyrics to "Reno" :

She took off her stockings

I held 'em to my face

She had your ankles

I felt filled with grace

"Two hundred dollars straight in

Two-fifty up the ass" she smiled and said

She unbuckled my belt, pulled back her hair

And sat in front of me on the bed

She said, "Honey, how's that feel

Do you want me to go slow?"

My eyes drifted out the window

And down to the road below

I felt my stomach tighten

As the sun bloodied the sky

And sliced through hotel blinds

I closed my eyes

Sunlight on the Amatitlan

Sunlight streaming through your hair

In the Valle de dos Rios

The smell of mock orange filled the air

We rode with the vaqueros

Down into cool rivers of green

I was sure the work and the smile coming out 'neath your hat

Was all I'll ever need

Somehow all you ever need's

Never quite enough you know

You and I, Maria, we learned it's so

She slipped me out of her mouth

"You're ready," she said

She took off her bra and panties

Wet her fingers, slipped it inside her

And crawled over me on the bed

She bought me another whisky

Said "here's to the best you ever had"

We laughed and made a toast

It wasn't the best I ever had

Not even close

I hear what you're saying... for me there's a difference though between greatest and favorite. For example, IMO Exile is their greatest, but either Black & Blue or Aftermath is my favorite. Highway 61 or Blonde on Blonde is Dylan's greatest, but Street Legal is my favorite. If I can only take one CD, I'm taking my favorite, not necessarily the greatest.

321016[/snapback]

I would argue that Blood on the Tracks is his best, and is also considered by a few critics as one of the best albums ever made. It would also be a pretty good choice for this question.

That's my #2 choice.  It's a shame that virtually nobody outside of Canada and a few US border cities know about this one.  17 songs and not one dud.

321050[/snapback]

funny...your #1 choice was my number 2...CD is in my car and goes on whenever sports talk sucks

You're forgetting Steve Hackett  who, believe it or not, has released more material than all the other ex-Genesis members combined.

321096[/snapback]

You are right I just got tired of typing here are some more Brand X, Tony's solos and Mike's Small creeps day........

I would argue that Blood on the Tracks is his best, and is also considered by a few critics as one of the best albums ever made. It would also be a pretty good choice for this question.

321192[/snapback]

I love BOTT, & it would definitely make my top 10 best ever. But Desire is more of a favorite to me... I'd take that to the island first. :(

I love BOTT, & it would definitely make my top 10 best ever. But Desire is more of a favorite to me. :(

321224[/snapback]

Then why did you say "Street Legal"? ;)

What's funny about that is I can never ever decide which one I like best between Street Legal and Desire. There are awesome tracks on both. I always thought that "Black Diamond Bay" was an entire movie in a 4 minute song (like "Jack of Hearts" in 8-10 minutes).

Then why did you say "Street Legal"?  ;)

Don't know why. :( I always grouped BOTT & Desire together, maybe because they were consecutive, maybe because the Rolling Thunder Review was his 1st tour after both those albums came out. They're certainly different as night-and-day.

What's funny about that is I can never ever decide which one I like best between Street Legal and Desire. There are awesome tracks on both. I always thought that "Black Diamond Bay" was an entire movie in a 4 minute song (like "Jack of Hearts" in 8-10 minutes).
I think, track-for-track, Desire is better. I love each and every one of those songs, even the often-maligned Joey, where the phrasing and timing on his singing is just phenomenal.

Street Legal has some songs that are good, not great (Baby Stop Crying, True Love, Talk This Over). But the very best of Street Legal (Changing, Senor, Where Are You Tonight?) really knocks me out more than anything else he ever did, and the rest of the best is so damn good. I give it the edge, though, for that very best.

:(  It's 1977, and a young AD is ready to go out trick-or-treating dressed as Gene Simmons, with the face-paint, high heeled boots, electric guitar and a wig covering his mullet. The neighbors all agree that kid ain't right.  ;)

You know you're getting old when the music you're naming here was also available on 8-track when it was released.

321055[/snapback]

My mom was a music fan who regularly listened to stuff like Chicago, Doobie Brothers, and god awful pop stuff like Bay City Rollers. My step dad bought me "Back in Black" and "Alive II" when they came out and another rocker was born. I was nine years old at the time and the album jacket was probably the coolest thing I'd ever seen. Hooked forever.

My son's first concert was KISS - just a couple of years ago. Some things are so good you have to share.

BTW, I still have "Pyromania", "High-n-Dry", and "Eliminator" on eight track - though I have no means to listen to them.

Don't know why.  ;)  I always grouped BOTT & Desire together, maybe because they were consecutive, maybe because the Rolling Thunder Review was his 1st tour after both those albums came out. They're certainly different as night-and-day.

I think, track-for-track, Desire is better. I love each and every one of those songs, even the often-maligned Joey, where the phrasing and timing on his singing is just phenomenal.

Street Legal has some songs that are good, not great (Baby Stop Crying, True Love, Talk This Over). But the very best of Street Legal (Changing, Senor, Where Are You Tonight?) really knocks me out more than anything else he ever did, and the rest of the best is so damn good. I give it the edge, though, for that very best.

321274[/snapback]

I really agree with all of that. :doh: But we're talking desert isle here. I am not sure I want any lesser songs out there in the sun. I may give up the couple great ones (Changing of the Guard" for sure) for the total package of no misses. :(

Which brings me back to Blood on the Tracks.

My son's first concert was KISS - just a couple of years ago.  Some things are so good you have to share.

321281[/snapback]

Tell me you aren't one of those losers with the band tattooed on your back and have family photos with your family dressed as the band. I met a guy that had both and was attending his 399th KISS show when I saw them in Indy in '03.

Tell me you aren't one of those losers with the band tattooed on your back and have family photos with your family dressed as the band.  I met a guy that had both and was attending his 399th KISS show when I saw them in Indy in '03.

321317[/snapback]

Yeah, that's me. Obsessive compulsive with a side of low self esteem. :(

Thanks for dumbing down the board with some more of YOUR life experience. I hope I've alleviated your concerns on this subject.

I really agree with all of that.  :doh: But we're talking desert isle here. I am not sure I want any lesser songs out there in the sun. I may give up the couple great ones (Changing of the Guard" for sure) for the total package of no misses.  :(

Which brings me back to Blood on the Tracks.

321282[/snapback]

Well, I'm taking Never Mind the Bollocks anyways. ;)

As for BOTT, it's been a long time since I've played the whole album in it's entirety. Don't get me wrong, It's all great, particularly Side 1 on the old LP, but I prefer Shelter live and I can see getting tired of Buckets of Rain before too long.

Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here

Shine On You Crazy Diamond is the best song ever written in my biased opinion. There are so many stories behind the writing and recording of this albulm.

320848[/snapback]

Syd Barrett. Founder, original frontman and inspiration of Pink Floyd. Sad stories.

For me it would have to be "The Wall" (lots of Syd inspiration there!).

That would be my #2 choice, though I agree with the person who mentioned ALice in Chains as well.

I love the verse of Hundredth Meridian that goes:

320887[/snapback]

if i die of vanity, promise me, promise me, they bury me someplace i don't want to be, you'll dig me up and transport me,

unceremoniously, away from the swollen city-breeze, garbage-bag trees, whispers of disease and the acts of enormity and

lower me slowly, sadly and properly get ry cooder to sing my eulogy,

You know I was just listening to another Hip Cd in the lab and it occured to me how many references Gordon Downie makes to other musicians in his lyrics. Off the top of my head:

Ry Cooder

John Cage

Willie Nelson

Kurt Cobain

Springsteen

Randy Newman

Toby Keith

Neil Young

Elvis

and there are a few others I can't remember.

If we can go with Greatest Hits Albums then:

RUSH

The Spirit Of Radio: Greatest Hits 1974-1987

1. Working Man

2. Fly By Night

3. 2112 Medley

4. Closer To The Heart

5. Trees

6. The Spirit Of Radio

7. Freewill

8. Limelight

9. Tom Sawyer