You Can Only Pick One CD

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No way could I pick any one band or one album. I have too many different moods and like too many different stlyles.

but one CD I know for a fact I wouldn't want to have under any circumstance is Meat Loaf - Bat Out Of Hell

awesome lp. damn that andy partridge for having stage fright, they just never got out to the masses (ie ME!) not a big rundgren fan, but he did a nice job producing that one(if i am not mistaken)

XTC - Skylarking

320841[/snapback]

I think Exile OMS is the greatest album ever made, but it hasn't gotten nearly as much play time with me as Never Mind the Bollocks. So I'm taking the Pistols.

320861[/snapback]

I think "Bollocks" is the greatest Punk album of all time, but, not in the same class as "Exile" ... or any of the Stones albums.

awesome lp.  damn that andy partridge for having stage fright, they just never got out to the masses (ie ME!)  not a big rundgren fan, but he did a nice job producing that one(if i am not mistaken)

320854[/snapback]

I saw XTC live once in West Berlin at a place called The Metropol. It was before they put out Skylarking. I like that song "Towers of London" from the LP Black Sea. I love that Balck Sea disc. It makes my fur stand up. I also still play their English Settlement LP. My English friend at the time got me into them and Ian Drury.

He also got me to go to a King Kurt concert. The wildest concert I ever attended.

King Kurt

The fans brought tons of stuff like bags of flour, eggs, water baloons and you name it to throw at the band while they were playing. Crap was flying everywhere and they band played on.

The Tragically Hip - Fully Completely

"I remember, I remember Buffalo

And I remember Hengelo

It would seem to me

I remember every single !@#$ing thing I know"

320867[/snapback]

That would be my #2 choice, though I agree with the person who mentioned ALice in Chains as well.

I love the verse of Hundredth Meridian that goes:

if i die of vanity, promise me, promise me, they bury me someplace i don't want to be, you'll dig me up and transport me,

unceremoniously, away from the swollen city-breeze, garbage-bag trees, whispers of disease and the acts of enormity and

lower me slowly, sadly and properly get ry cooder to sing my eulogy,

That is a great album  - the turning point for Genesis.

I listened to it a few weeks ago while cruising.

Saw Genesis in Feb. 1977 at the Aud, touring for that album. Fully bearded Collins in his first time out front. It was the first Genesis album following Peter Garbriel's departure.

I don't think I'd want to be on a desert island with any single CD, unless is was to use the reflective mirror side to signal for help from a resuce plane.

320747[/snapback]

I agree with Trick of Tail is a great Album (Entangled) and the turning point for genesis BUT I feel sorry for the people who missed out on the last three albums The Lamb (which is my favorit with Gabriel lead and Collins backing) and then Selling England by the Pound and Foxtrot.

I really prefer the Gabriel stuff, to be honest.  As for any of Collins' work I find it hard to divorce the good stuff from the adult contemporary garbage.

As for the one CD, right now I'd still take "London Calling" by a nose.

320760[/snapback]

Agree 100%.

Trick of the Tale may be the lone exception.

The previous album was Lamb Lies Down on Broadway, and stylistically, they hadn't deviated much from the Gabriel version of the band with the Trick of the Tale LP. I've often thought it strange how similar Collins' singing voice sounds to Gabriels' on Trick of the Tale. It's like they were morphed for that one album.

Don't remember what release was next, but I know Abacab and Then There Were Three was not too far down the line. Never bought anything by them or Collins following Trick of the Tale.

All in all, I got bored fairly quickly with the overproduced "progressive" music of that era, including Yes, ELP, Kansas, Gentle Giant, etc. It was just o.k. at the time, some good musicianship, and was usually a good concert experience. Once the geeks with 15 years of piano lessons got into rock and roll, "progressive rock" was born. Thank goodness punk came along when it did to put the rock back in rock and roll.

I'd just assume hear some raw blues and the gritty sound Stevie Ray exposing his soul through his Stratocaster and stack of Marshalls.

Agree 100%.

Trick of the Tale may be the lone exception.

The previous album was Lamb Lies Down on Broadway, and stylistically, they hadn't deviated much from the Gabriel version of the band with the Trick of the Tale LP. I've often thought it strange how similar Collins' singing voice sounds to Gabriels' on Trick of the Tale. It's like they were morphed for that one album.

Don't remember what  release was next, but I know Abacab and Then There Were Three was not too far down the line. Never bought anything by them or Collins following Trick of the Tale.

All in all, I got bored fairly quickly with the overproduced "progressive" music of that era, including Yes, ELP, Kansas, Gentle Giant, etc. It was just o.k. at the time, some good musicianship, and was usually a good concert experience. Once the geeks with 15 years of piano lessons got into rock and roll, "progressive rock" was born. Thank goodness punk came along when it did to put the rock back in rock and roll.

I'd just assume hear some raw blues and the gritty sound Stevie Ray exposing his soul through his Stratocaster and stack of Marshalls.

320920[/snapback]

Man, how can you get raw blues out of a stack of Marshalls? Give me Mississippi Fred McDowell, recorded in his living room with a bottleneck slide and an acoustic any day of the week. SRV was good, but some of the guys who invented the genre are just criminally ignored in favor of the white guys who appropriated it for greater gains.

The Lamb (which is my favorit with Gabriel lead and Collins backing) and then Selling England by the Pound and Foxtrot.

320915[/snapback]

I'll add Nursery Cryme to that list ... The Musical Box ... classic.

don't get me wrong, I love the gabriel stuff, selling england is such a great album, fox trot, with my personal all time fave "song" suppers ready, kicks ass, but i really loved trick of the tail a bit more than the others

I agree with Trick of Tail is a great Album (Entangled) and the turning point for genesis BUT I feel sorry for the people who missed out on the last three albums The Lamb (which is my favorit with Gabriel lead and Collins backing) and then Selling England by the Pound and Foxtrot.

320915[/snapback]

320915[/snapback]

I love all this Genesis talk!

Living in the south it is all Tom Petty and stuff like that.

Guys I know who grew up in North Carolina never heard of these CDs:

Genesis: A Tick of The Tail, Selling Englanfd by the Pound

Yes: Fragile, Close to the Edge

King Crimson: Red

Supertramp: Crime of the Century

ELP: Brain Salad Surgery

Saga: Images at Twilight

Moody Blues: Days of Future Passed

Man, I miss the old Buffalo and Toronto radio stations.

WUWU and Q107 used to rule.

Now it all the same garbage owned by the "Curtis Media Group"

Man, how can you get raw blues out of a stack of Marshalls?  Give me Mississippi Fred McDowell, recorded in his living room with a bottleneck slide and an acoustic any day of the week.  SRV was good, but some of the guys who invented the genre are just criminally ignored in favor of the white guys who appropriated it for greater gains.

320922[/snapback]

Blues snob.

You bastard. I have to agree with again.

its funny the difference in music and radio stations regionally. I always thought syracuse was the red headed step child in western/central ny. We in syracuse were subjected to all the typical rock/southern rock stations of the 70's and 80's. all while buffalo, rochester and utica got to enjoy all the good stuff. Maybe it is the influence that SU has on the area, I don't know, but 95X never held a candle to WOUR(Utica), WCMF(Rochester) and whatever the Buffalo station was.

I love all this Genesis talk!

Living in the south it is all Tom Petty and stuff like that.

Guys I know who grew up in North Carolina never heard of these CDs:

Genesis: A Tick of The Tail, Selling Englanfd by the Pound

Yes: Fragile, Close to the Edge

King Crimson: Red

Supertramp: Crime of the Century

ELP: Brain Salad Surgery

Saga: Images at Twilight

Moody Blues: Days of Future Passed

Man, I miss the old Buffalo and Toronto radio stations.

WUWU and Q107 used to rule.

Now it all the same garbage owned by the "Curtis Media Group"

320927[/snapback]

I think Exile OMS is the greatest album ever made, but it hasn't gotten nearly as much play time with me as Never Mind the Bollocks. So I'm taking the Pistols.

320861[/snapback]

Hello Malcolm.

Forgot about them for a second.

IF... I had to choose 1 CD, it very well could be The Sex Pistols "The Great Rock & Roll Swindle" One of the best produced albums I've ever heard. Some really strange stuff on there, but also some kick ass straight forward rock. A few precious gems like EMI and Frigging in the Rigging. Love that album. It's got real attitude. I'll never get sick of it.

I'll add Nursery Cryme to that list ... The Musical Box ... classic.

320923[/snapback]

I agree. Lets throw trespass( the Knife, Stagnation,looking for someone) in there to. I didn't want to get carried away but now that I see My fellow Bills brothers are into The Greatest Group of all time. I thought it was great to be able to buy almost 3 albums a year Phil Collins solos, Peter Gabriel solos,Genesis and later even Mike and the Mechanics albums Name another group who for 20 years have came even close to producing what these guys have done and are never considered one of the great groups

Tommy - The Who

I listened to it from beginning to end, when it was released on vinyl. :(

It was also the first record played on first stereo! I followed the lyrics as I listened.

Gave me goose bumps! ;)

Tommy - The Who

I listened to it from beginning to end, when it was released on vinyl.  :( 

It was also the first record played on first stereo! I followed the lyrics as I listened.

Gave me goose bumps!  ;)

320988[/snapback]

Damn. TOMMY. Another one I'd have to consider if I could only have one.

For my money, that's the best drumming EVER on any album. Moon's playing had this incredible syncopation as he cascaded high toms through the low ones, somehow crashing cymbals in between and double footing the bass drums.

Amazing. What's never discussed is his unique low tuning on the floor toms that made them sound like timpanis. It was unpredictable and fantastic. Tommy was well written and Townsend's guitar playing really blossomed on that record, but it never would have been the same without Moon's drums.

Not necessary to start a Neil Peart thread here. I think Moon was the greatest. A complete nut job who's crazed drumming reflected his personality. Loved him.

No Matter How Many Times You Play It --  On A Desert Island Or The Arctic

Mine - Meat Loaf - Bat Out Of Hell

Don't Equivocate Too Much  :(

320541[/snapback]

Hands Down it would be CLUTCH's self-titled debut album! Best CD ever recorded!!!

I think "Bollocks" is the greatest Punk album of all time, but, not in the same class as "Exile" ... or any of the Stones albums.

320871[/snapback]

I hear what you're saying... for me there's a difference though between greatest and favorite. For example, IMO Exile is their greatest, but either Black & Blue or Aftermath is my favorite. Highway 61 or Blonde on Blonde is Dylan's greatest, but Street Legal is my favorite. If I can only take one CD, I'm taking my favorite, not necessarily the greatest.