Slot Recievers - McKenzie / Cole

5 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Yes it does.  Got hit by a liner when I was pitching in HS.  Every step I take, every move I make hurt like Hades.

And...I'll be watching you. 

(I'll be deeply disappointed and culturally freaked out if I'm the first to grab this low-hanging fruit. Also, thank you for growing it.)

• Haha (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Boxcar said:

This is absolutely insane and solely fueled by this writer not liking Cole's stances on certain things.

How did we go from McKenzie being on the bubble to him supplanting the best slot WR in the NFL? It's madness.

We’re DOOMED!  Just kidding Boxcar. I’m just reading you’re post and the madness remark sounded like a 1950’s movie.

I agree Beasley is absolutely a better WR than McKenzie.  The crappy reality is not knowing how much will Beasley keep to his remarks. Will he really retire or Will he back down from his comments.  I don’t want to hijack into a vacc. Conversation but this relates solely to his ability to play and impact our team on the field.  Him not getting vacc. Is a personal choice, but the NFL will suspend him or at least fine him if he doesn’t comply with the protocols.  The NFL is not going to change Protocols for one vocal player even if others quietly agree.

I hope he comes around with the testing, etc as I’d hate to lose him, and respect his personal choices as

long as it doesn’t hurt the team.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

So we’ve gone from fans freaking out when McDermott said “week to week” when describing Beasley’s late season injury last year.  

Now to some it’s no big deal if he’s cut because he’s a year older and we replaced Brown with Sanders?  Sorry.  Beasley has been too instrumental to our offense and Josh’s development to let him walk.  

Whatever headaches he’s caused with his stupid vaccine comments are minor to deal with as he’s coming off what should’ve been a 1000 yard season.  If he’s not on the team next year it better be because he retired or I’m writing a strongly worded letter to Beane.

A strongly worded letter.  You sound like my dad.  🤣. I know you were just sarcastic.

I don’t think its his remarks whether people agree or disagree.  It’s if he means it, and is a major distraction by making some stand on refusing to wear a mask, be tested daily etc.  Him talking to the media like he’s Norma Rae is not going to rip our team apart. Other players in the league have made provacative remarks on a variety of topics.  It’s not being able to count on him to be on the field if he refuses to comply and thus repeatedly suspended.  I trust McD should be able to talk him down as he has a calm demeanor and will most likely

acknowledge his POV and personal choices.

Edited by machine gun kelly

19 hours ago, BigAl2526 said:

I don't know that the Bills would decide to cut Beasley over the COVID vaccine remarks, but if Beasley makes good on his threats to flaunt behavior that violates league COVID protocol, the Bills may not have any choice but to plan for life without Beasley.  I agree with Gunner that  the offense's base will feature Sanders in the slot, but it's nice to know the Bills have options, and I think they will use them in order to confuse defenses.  I could imagine Brian Daboll designing players for Isaiah Hodgins in the slot, assuming he makes the 53 man roster.  The challenge of covering him would be very different from the challenge of covering Sanders or McKenzie.  McKenzie I'm sure, will be in the slot for a lot of plays as well through the season.    

I think this is the issue: Do the Bills want Beasley on the field? Absolutely! Does Beasley want to be on the field? Enough so that he'll follow the protocols? That is the real question.

If not, the Bills will have no choice, the rules are set. And unless those rules get changed, he--like all NFL players--will have to decide whether he wants to play or follow his conscience and/or convictions. Are they deep enough to end his career? He will have to decide.

Edited by CSBill
  • Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, CSBill said:

I think is the big issue. Do the Bills want Beasley on the field? Absolutely! Does Beasley want to be on the field? Enough so that he'll follow the protocols? That is the real question.

If not, the Bills will have no choice, the rules are set. And unless those rules get changed, he--like all NFL players--will have to decide whether he wants to play or follow his conscience and/or convictions. Are they deep enough to end his career? He will have to decide.

Being an anti vac guy is ok. It is a choice. No  small pox vac. No polio vac. No measles vac. No travel to the rest of the world. Ok I understand. BUT, you are correct when you say a refusal to be tested and follow protocol to keep team mates and staff and opponents safe, then he must leave.

21 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I would rather not lose cole

Having said that if something happens in season I’m going to be very unhappy that we had to let a quality wide receiver go because we can only keep so many and we didn’t keep a younger guy

Well, it sounds like you're *****.

• Haha (+1) 1

After the season that Beaz had last year & the chemistry and trust Josh has developed with him i don't see a move to get rid of Beaz happening this season if he would have been completely healthy i could have seen him breaking the thousand yard mark last year .

Some of the thoughts pertaining to Coles being cut could be attributed to his person convictions also but with Mckenzies speed that could be a very dangerous combo for sure !!! 

Edited by T master
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, T master said:

After the season that Beaz had last year & the chemistry and trust Josh has developed with him i don't see a move to get rid of Beaz happening this season if he would have been completely healthy i could have seen him breaking the thousand yard mark last year .

Some of the thoughts pertaining to Coles being cut could be attributed to his person convictions also .

I would encourage all the "plug in so & so into the slot and we'll be fine" folks watch any of the Allen highlight reels.  Beasley was easily the 2nd best receiver on the team last year and he made a lot of crucial catches at critical points in the game.  You just don't walk away from this level of talent and on field savvy because he's a curmudgeon. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

And...I'll be watching you. 

(I'll be deeply disappointed and culturally freaked out if I'm the first to grab this low-hanging fruit. Also, thank you for growing it.)

Not everyone’s a fan of the police these days. 😇

Just kidding.  They were my first favorite band as a kid along with U2.  You know Noggin you’re a Roxanne fan.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

2 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I would encourage all the "plug in so & so into the slot and we'll be fine" folks watch any of the Allen highlight reels.  Beasley was easily the 2nd best receiver on the team last year and he made a lot of crucial catches at critical points in the game.  You just don't walk away from this level of talent and on field savvy because he's a curmudgeon. 

Agree 100% especially when your 1 game away from the big one GO BILLS !! 

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I think a guy who has proven he can do a number of things the Bills value who they have brought back two offseasons running is going to make the roster. Lock? No. But he is in the middle category of guys who very much have a job to lose. Bubble guys are guys who need to win a job. The three guys you mention are all bubble guys IMO. For McKenzie not to be the Bills 5th or 6th receiver both Stevenson and Hodgins will have to overtake him. I think that is a long shot. 

Ok, I guess we just differ on the use of "bubble" since I do think it's likely he makes the team.

7 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

We’re DOOMED!  Just kidding Boxcar. I’m just reading you’re post and the madness remark sounded like a 1950’s movie.

I agree Beasley is absolutely a better WR than McKenzie.  The crappy reality is not knowing how much will Beasley keep to his remarks. Will he really retire or Will he back down from his comments.  I don’t want to hijack into a vacc. Conversation but this relates solely to his ability to play and impact our team on the field.  Him not getting vacc. Is a personal choice, but the NFL will suspend him or at least fine him if he doesn’t comply with the protocols.  The NFL is not going to change Protocols for one vocal player even if others quietly agree.

I hope he comes around with the testing, etc as I’d hate to lose him, and respect his personal choices as

long as it doesn’t hurt the team.

I would be shocked if Beasley puts himself above the team. He's never seemed like that kind of guy.

I know a lot of players who would be complaining about salary in Beasley's place after the last two years he's had but not a peep. He's never been a distraction before and I do believe he was frustrated and decided to vent, and won't be a distraction going forward.

I will say that I think the way he's been mocked and vilified has been pretty vile. He's been an exemplary teammate and professional his entire career and that's all out the window now, it seems.

• Like (+1) 1

Door #1 - Beasley follows protocols despite his social media comments - He starts in the slot, and plays the same role as last year

Door #2 - Beasley refuses to follow protocols and retires or is released by the team - McKenzie in his spot? Doubtful. Sanders? Most likely. Isiah Hodgins got some major buzz this off season so far, but I believe the team would save roughly $4M in cap space and could potentially look at adding pieces to the team, not necessarily at the WR position.

Door #3 and the most realistic IMO - Beasley stays, remains vocal about league policies, but is often injured this season and misses games here and there. What then? This should be the discussion...

I didn't open the link/read the article. Was there any mention of Isaiah Hodgins possibly making the active roster and filling the role of a 'big slot'? That's where he's best suited, IMO.

Edited by ExWNYer

If Cole Beasley gets cut for his vaccine status, all hell will break loose. The NFLPA will have a field day.

42 minutes ago, rayray808 said:

Door #1 - Beasley follows protocols despite his social media comments - He starts in the slot, and plays the same role as last year

Door #2 - Beasley refuses to follow protocols and retires or is released by the team - McKenzie in his spot? Doubtful. Sanders? Most likely. Isiah Hodgins got some major buzz this off season so far, but I believe the team would save roughly $4M in cap space and could potentially look at adding pieces to the team, not necessarily at the WR position.

Door #3 and the most realistic IMO - Beasley stays, remains vocal about league policies, but is often injured this season and misses games here and there. What then? This should be the discussion...

Why would Beasley be often injured this season?

47 minutes ago, Boxcar said:

I would be shocked if Beasley puts himself above the team. He's never seemed like that kind of guy.

I know a lot of players who would be complaining about salary in Beasley's place after the last two years he's had but not a peep. He's never been a distraction before and I do believe he was frustrated and decided to vent, and won't be a distraction going forward.

I will say that I think the way he's been mocked and vilified has been pretty vile. He's been an exemplary teammate and professional his entire career and that's all out the window now, it seems.

I don’t disagree with almost all you’re points.  Venting is fine, and personal decisions is fair.  It’s saying I won’t get vacc. And screw the PA and NFL and I’ll do whatever I want.  That part is why he caught so much heat.  I don’t think it’s right to slam someone on a health decision.  Just accept what you’re employer expects from you.  

I don’t want to see him go anywhere, just quietly adhere to the rules unless they change.  I don’t think that is unreasonable from his boss.  

47 minutes ago, rayray808 said:

Door #3 is very likely. We see this time and time again when a guy is frustrated. We do not know what is going on is Beasley's head. He clearly feels strong enough to voice his opinion despite the "company line" to keep options to yourself and focus on football. So he could very well feel like the team does not have his back and decide to be "injured" quite often next year. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, MJS said:

If Cole Beasley gets cut for his vaccine status, all hell will break loose. The NFLPA will have a field day.

Why would Beasley be often injured this season?

a) He won't get cut for his vaccine status, he would get cut for refusing to follow league protocols in the way that he mentioned in his social media post. Don't get it twisted, this isn't an argument about pro or anti vax, this is a simple example of an employee stating "I refuse to follow your rules, I would rather retire or you can fire me" - employee doesn't win that battle... especially when it is a rule that was OK'd by your union.

b) He was injured a bunch last season but is tough as nails. Age could catch up with him, or coupled with what was posted above, perhaps his mind won't be in it as much to recover what his body is unable to do.

Fact is, I hope Beasley is on this team and continues to produce... but we really need to start thinking of possible scenarios with so much riding on this season

2 hours ago, rayray808 said:

a) He won't get cut for his vaccine status, he would get cut for refusing to follow league protocols in the way that he mentioned in his social media post. Don't get it twisted, this isn't an argument about pro or anti vax, this is a simple example of an employee stating "I refuse to follow your rules, I would rather retire or you can fire me" - employee doesn't win that battle... especially when it is a rule that was OK'd by your union.

b) He was injured a bunch last season but is tough as nails. Age could catch up with him, or coupled with what was posted above, perhaps his mind won't be in it as much to recover what his body is unable to do.

Fact is, I hope Beasley is on this team and continues to produce... but we really need to start thinking of possible scenarios with so much riding on this season

The post I responded to specifically stated that he could get cut due to his vaccine status.

No team would touch that with a 10 foot pole.

If Beasley violates protocol, he'll get fined and be ineligible to play, plus possibly have to quarantine. If I were the Bills, I'd let that situation play itself out and allow the NFL and NFLPA to work it out. I would not take a stance, and I certainly would not cut him.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, rayray808 said:

Agree. a) is the point. Nobody is cutting Beas because he isn't vacc'd. But if he isn't vacc'd and won't follow the league protocols for non-vacc'd players - which was his threat - then there will be a problem, and his union won't be on his side.