DeSantis For President in 2024?

1 hour ago, Chef Jim said:

Not my point. 

AKA IDK 

Again. You missed my point too. I suggest you ask for clarification…..genius. 

You do this all the time.  When people post material directly showing you’re wrong it’s because they somehow misconstrued your point.  Try learning how to communicate your ideas.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Bidens_basement said:

Where is your outrage for the kids at the border being stuck in cages today? You were in a uproar when Trump was in charge, yet you’ve gone silent now? Why is that? 
You’re a political hack who puts party before country. That’s why no one here takes you seriously.

The border is in crisis and has been for a long time and kids should not be in cages.  Period.  Harris was put in charge of it, she needs to fix it.  And a big part of that is getting the countries who abuse their people to straighten up and arresting those in this country who hire illegals.  But you don’t want to talk about that.

But you use this to deflect from your inanity over Covid.  I am an independent, admittedly more liberal on social policies and more conservative on law and order on foreign policy.  You are the rest of the Trumpists could give a damn about our country or it’s people.  You care more about politics than people.  You want kids to die so you can crow about your freedom to wear masks.  You want women and children in Afghanistan to die or be enslaved because you crow about America and making America great, but you have no concept of what made it great.  All you are is a jingoistic hack.

1 hour ago, Chef Jim said:

Nope. Can people still choose to use a car seat or not?  

That’s a yes or no question. 

Can people willingly choose to break the law?  Yes.  Will they get arrested?  Yes.  You are completely ridiculous.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

DeSantis claims parents are the best people to make the call about masks and such.  They’re not.  Because it is clear that some parents are willfully disregarding scientific facts and putting their kids at greater risk of infection.  And the governor is egging them in.  Why?  Because the governor, and some parents, are more interested in making a political statement that the actual welfare of the kids.  

Children are wards of their parents, not the state. But by your logic in this thread, why aren't you in DC picketing to keep kids out of school this fall altogether if it's so dangerous for them?  Or mandating flu shots? Or canceling sports? Or going outside?  

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Tenhigh said:

Children are wards of their parents, not the state. But by your logic in this thread, why aren't you in DC picketing to keep kids out of school this fall altogether if it's so dangerous for them?  Or mandating flu shots? Or canceling sports? Or going outside?  

I am active in my community advocating for masks to keep our kids in school this year. I am also trying to educate folks on vaccines and am advocating for teachers to be required to be vaccinated.  

Your silliness and inability to follow science is shown by wanting to cancel going outside.  That is not in keeping right now with the science or recommendations based on that science.

Children are wards of their parents.  When parents willfully put their children in danger, would you advocate for protecting kids, or letting their parents do so?  

8 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Blue-check doctor asking why people think it’s SO important to keep schools open gets WAY more than she asks for

https://twitchy.com/samj-3930/2021/08/22/are-you-effd-in-the-head-blue-check-doc-asking-why-people-think-its-so-important-to-keep-schools-open-gets-way-more-than-she-asks-for/

This is of course silly.

• Agree 1

Florida’s peak of the delta wave could be days away, university models show

Florida is rapidly approaching the peak of new infections of the delta wave, when the highest single-day counts could come, according to two models created by researchers at Florida universities.

One model created by University of South Florida researchers predicts the state will hit the most daily infections by Aug. 24, bringing about 23,000 that day, said Dr. Edwin Michael. Because the delta variant has infected so many unvaccinated people, and more than 66% of Floridians have been immunized, he said the state will likely hit herd immunity in early September.

If immunity gained from infection proves to be long-lasting — though research has indicated it offers shorter protection than that of the vaccine — and if vaccines hold, Michael said the pandemic could end by early next year.

“If immunity is long term, this will be the last significant wave,” he said, noting “flare-ups” could still occur. “There’s a lot of caveats to this.”

A University of Florida model predicts a similar timeline, projecting a peak to come at the end of last week or sometime next week, said Dr. Ira Longini, a biostatistician who helped develop it. The model, updated Aug. 14, predicts a more severe summit at about 33,000 cases in a single day, or 150 cases per 100,000 residents, according to a report published by the school.

“I would think through a lot of September we’re going to see a lot of hospitalizations and deaths and strain on the system,” Longini said. “By October, things should be back down to a more endemic level like we’re seeing in May and June.”

In further evidence that the peak is near, new infections in Orange County are growing at a slower rate week over week than they were earlier in August, said Dr. Raul Pino, the state’s top health official in the county. New infections were essentially flat last week statewide compared to the week prior, coming with about 150,000, or about 1,300 fewer. In Orange County, there were about 8,900 fewer infections compared to 9,600 the week prior and the positivity rate went from 18.4% to 18.3%.

The USF model predicts the high mark for hospitalizations will come about Sept. 8, where about 19,000 hospital beds will be needed for COVID-19 patients.

By Friday, 16,849 people were hospitalized with the virus, according to the Florida Hospital Association.

The University of Florida model accounts for people going to work and school and movement levels based on cell-phone data, as well as vaccination rates and virus transmission, Longini said.

“We watched what happened in India with the delta variant and other places, it’s exactly what’s happening in Florida right now,” he said.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/coronavirus/os-ne-coronavirus-uf-model-20210822-iquw4h35bzds3bbgalqn7pb6ea-story.html

America's Governor following the science.  

Nothing in there says hospitals will be overwhelmed.

No need to worry about "lifting mandates" thru it all bc there aren't any - you are free here.

22 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

I am active in my community advocating for masks to keep our kids in school this year. I am also trying to educate folks on vaccines and am advocating for teachers to be required to be vaccinated.  

Your silliness and inability to follow science is shown by wanting to cancel going outside.  That is not in keeping right now with the science or recommendations based on that science.

Children are wards of their parents.  When parents willfully put their children in danger, would you advocate for protecting kids, or letting their parents do so?  

This is of course silly.

By your silly logic YOU are putting kids in danger by trying to force them into schools when they aren't vaccinated.   CHILD MURDERER!!!

But seriously,  you understand,  right?

Edited by Tenhigh

Funny - none of the anti mask crowd seem to mind the psychological impacts of active school shooter drills that terrorize our kids in schools across this country.

But ya - freak out over a mask that could help save lives and mitigate the spread of covid.

Covid is highly contagious - and as we can see in this thread - so is stupidity.

• Disagree 1

14 minutes ago, BillStime said:

Funny - none of the anti mask crowd seem to mind the psychological impacts of active school shooter drills that terrorize our kids in schools across this country.

Ahhhh Billy Boy.  Inventing things to make “his point”.  Yes none of us Libery First people care about the psychological affects of active school shooters.  

Any more apples to monkey wrench comparisons you’d like to make? 

6 hours ago, Backintheday544 said:

Wouldnt freedom of choice means schools are allowed to choose whether it wants to have masks or not without fear of losing pay or their job? 

Wouldnt freedom of choice mean local areas could determine mask and vaccine requirements without someone being able to invalidate their choices?

It seems to me DeSantis is being more a dictator than anything. It’s fitting because it does fit that Trump mold.

Using this logic, wouldn’t true freedom of choice include an individual deciding whether or not they wanted to contribute the hard-earned fruits of their labor to school districts be they pro or anti mask mandate?    Plenty of people on all sides upset with school boards. 

I don’t think the school districts would want that option available to consumers, do you? 

51 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Ahhhh Billy Boy.  Inventing things to make “his point”.  Yes none of us Libery First people care about the psychological affects of active school shooters.  

Any more apples to monkey wrench comparisons you’d like to make? 

You don’t like seeing yourself in the mirror

3 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

The border is in crisis and has been for a long time and kids should not be in cages.  Period.  Harris was put in charge of it, she needs to fix it.  And a big part of that is getting the countries who abuse their people to straighten up and arresting those in this country who hire illegals.  But you don’t want to talk about that.

But you use this to deflect from your inanity over Covid.  I am an independent, admittedly more liberal on social policies and more conservative on law and order on foreign policy.  You are the rest of the Trumpists could give a damn about our country or it’s people.  You care more about politics than people.  You want kids to die so you can crow about your freedom to wear masks.  You want women and children in Afghanistan to die or be enslaved because you crow about America and making America great, but you have no concept of what made it great.  All you are is a jingoistic hack.

Can people willingly choose to break the law?  Yes.  Will they get arrested?  Yes.  You are completely ridiculous.

You’re not just getting worked up, you’re losing control.  Coming unglued.  Shaking apart at the seams.  One of the warning signs that you’re going down a rabbit hole of crazy is when you declare no one cares like you do.  Celebrity stalkers say that sort of thing.

On the border and kids in cages, perhaps VP Harris should consult with your boi Joe B.  He was very adept at keeping kids in cages when he was VP for tye 8 year pull and keeping it in the downlow.   He’s got another 40 years experience f*ing up the border, too.  He can probably guide her towards keeping the kids in the cages and deep sixxing the news coverage on that sort of thing—works wonders to turn out the “independents” I’m told. 

You should consider stepping back for a while.   With all your experience in the field, you could be an advocate and truly change hearts and minds.   Seriously, do you think anyone trusts an old man breathlessly and wide-eyed yammering on about how “Trumpist don’t give a damn about the country and want their children to die”?  That’s nutso kookoo as ol Blue Eyes used to say. 

I voted for Trump, cannot imagine voting for him if he runs again in 2024 (a lot of reasons, including watching Biden supporters like you explain away his obvious decline), got vaxxed, love my children, family  and country.  

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Tenhigh said:

By your silly logic YOU are putting kids in danger by trying to force them into schools when they aren't vaccinated.   CHILD MURDERER!!!

But seriously,  you understand,  right?

Kids in elementary school can’t get vaccinated.

5 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Kids in elementary school can’t get vaccinated.

No shlt. And if this virus is as dangerous to them as you fear then until the vaccine is available to grade schoolers you should be shouting for remote learning from the rooftops, otherwise your putting kids in danger.

Edited by Tenhigh

20 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

You’re not just getting worked up, you’re losing control.  Coming unglued.  Shaking apart at the seams.  One of the warning signs that you’re going down a rabbit hole of crazy is when you declare no one cares like you do.  Celebrity stalkers say that sort of thing.

On the border and kids in cages, perhaps VP Harris should consult with your boi Joe B.  He was very adept at keeping kids in cages when he was VP for tye 8 year pull and keeping it in the downlow.   He’s got another 40 years experience f*ing up the border, too.  He can probably guide her towards keeping the kids in the cages and deep sixxing the news coverage on that sort of thing—works wonders to turn out the “independents” I’m told. 

You should consider stepping back for a while.   With all your experience in the field, you could be an advocate and truly change hearts and minds.   Seriously, do you think anyone trusts an old man breathlessly and wide-eyed yammering on about how “Trumpist don’t give a damn about the country and want their children to die”?  That’s nutso kookoo as ol Blue Eyes used to say. 

I voted for Trump, cannot imagine voting for him if he runs again in 2024 (a lot of reasons, including watching Biden supporters like you explain away his obvious decline), got vaxxed, love my children, family  and country.  

I appreciate your advice.  As I indicated earlier I get worked up when it’s about kids, and kids are going to suffer needlessly because we have taken a public health crisis and turned it into a political football.  There are people that would rather watch people die from Covid.  That seems to me an inescapable conclusion.  It is also why our Afghan policy for years, and this horrifically botched withdrawal, piss me off so much.  Young girls in that country will now suffer greatly and it seems like we as a country don’t care.  That sickens me.

13 minutes ago, Tenhigh said:

No shlt. And if this virus is as dangerous to them as you fear then until the vaccine is available to grade schoolers you should be shouting for remote learning from the rooftops, otherwise your putting kids in danger.

I look at the preponderance of the data.  While delta is more highly infectious the data still show mortality rates are very low in kids.  But with hospitalizations going up that may change.  And there are psychological issues with keeping kids out of school not to mention an overall poorer educational offering. There has to be a balance.  

I advocate for making sure all that are eligible for vaccination be vaccinated to decrease overall viral exposure in the public at large, and for elementary school kids to wear masks to decrease exposure.  I would also support frequent (daily) testing for kids.  I believe those follow the guidelines favored by the CDC and other public health experts.  

Edited by oldmanfan

10 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

I appreciate your advice.  As I indicated earlier I get worked up when it’s about kids, and kids are going to suffer needlessly because we have taken a public health crisis and turned it into a political football.  There are people that would rather watch people die from Covid.  That seems to me an inescapable conclusion.  It is also why our Afghan policy for years, and this horrifically botched withdrawal, piss me off so much.  Young girls in that country will now suffer greatly and it seems like we as a country don’t care.  That sickens me.

Well, in the interest of full disclosure....I just don’t know if I believe it was even botched anymore.   It defies logic and common sense that we could be there as protectors for 2 decades and screw this up so badly.   I really don’t know who to trust anymore.  

About 20 years ago, I met a man from Afghanistan who was a doctor.  I liked him right from the start—roughly my age, young family similar to mine , lived in the community.  He spoke passionately about his country, loved it like we love ours.  He was a practicing Muslim who spoke about the bastardization of his religion.   He was my personal physician for a number of years.  My favorite visit was when I had an infection in my finger, he looked at it, told me he had to drain it and said in a very Afghani-esque voice—“This will not be unpainful.”.  I looked at him and said “Are you telling me it’s going to hurt?”, he replied “Yes” and he was correct. 

Anyway, we agree on the horror that is about to befall many decent people in Afghanistan.  

School board breaks the law, not "bucks DeSantis."  I'd love to take this justification to its logical conclusion but I don't want to turn this into an abortion or religious liberty issue.  

Listen to this moron:

Another Florida school district will require masks, bucking DeSantis's orders

"I am a total favor of individual rights and freedoms and the rights of parents; however, I strongly believe that my rights end when they infringe on the rights of others," he said. "It has also been well documented by the vast majority of health care experts that these masks not only protect the person wearing the mask; more importantly, they protect the child beside them, and to me, your rights end when that child's rights are infringed on."

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/568940-another-florida-school-district-will-require-masks-bucking-desantis

1.  The "vast majority of health care bureaucrats do - not scientists.  I missed where that's in the Constitution.  I have a study this week and 2 years of data that says you're wrong.  

2. Why are kids in school at all with such risks to their lives?  Can I get a guarantee that my kid won't catch Covid at their forced attendance to their indoctrination center?  

Seems schools should just shut down, and everyone in the district gets furloughed or laid off.  And money given back to the tax payer.  

Good thing Ron cares for the kids, the good teachers that got vaccinated because they were told that would end this, and not their union. 

Or that would happen.  

4 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

I look at the preponderance of the data.  While delta is more highly infectious the data still show mortality rates are very low in kids.  But with hospitalizations going up that may change.  And there are psychological issues with keeping kids out of school not to mention an overall poorer educational offering. There has to be a balance.  

I advocate for making sure all that are eligible for vaccination be vaccinated to decrease overall viral exposure in the public at large, and for elementary school kids to wear masks to decrease exposure.  I would also support frequent (daily) testing for kids.  I believe those follow the guidelines favored by the CDC and other public health experts.  

There are also psychological issues with forcing kids to wear masks. What do you think the percentage of grade schoolers catching Covid and dying would be if they were not in school vs in school with masks vs in school without masks?  Because if there are ANY more deaths for kids in school with masks then kids at home,, your stance is hypocritical.   

I feel like you are using science like most people use statistics here oldie. 

39 minutes ago, Doc said:

Tell them to move to Jersey.

They’re too old. I already tried. They live in that Lakewood Ranch place.

I meant the county overall isn’t happy with DeSantis. It isn’t nearly as red as you guys think it is.

I thought the article was Sarasota but it’s Leon. 

So, that’s every major country telling him to piss off then.

Edited by Governor

23 minutes ago, Backintheday544 said:

Yikes. He nosedived. Rubio plus 10 and Ron getting slaughtered. Even if those numbers aren’t accurate, it clearly shows voters have a problem with HIM personally, and that’s very troubling for mini-Trump and his team.

His other recent polls aren’t good either!

Edited by Governor

1 hour ago, Governor said:

Yikes. He nosedived. Rubio plus 10 and Ron getting slaughtered. Even if those numbers aren’t accurate, it clearly shows voters have a problem with HIM personally, and that’s very troubling for mini-Trump and his team.

His other recent polls aren’t good either!

How much has Biden dropped due to manufacturered Delta and kid murdering hysteria?

Thanks.  

And lol prop Rubio up to make your poll look legitimate.  Sure.....

As to Biden:

As far as his devastating mishandling of Afghanistan, a full 60 percent disapprove, while only 25 percent approve.

On the issue of the future, NBC reports that “only 29 percent of Americans think the country is headed in the right direction, which is down 7 points from the last survey.”

NBC adds that a “majority of Americans — 54 percent — say they are mainly worried and pessimistic about the country’s future, versus 44 percent who say they are mainly hopeful and optimistic.”

Biden was 14 points above water in April with a 53 percent approval rating and 39 percent disapproval rating.

Today, those numbers have swung a full 13 points against him. He’s only a single point above water, with a 49 percent approval rating and 48 percent disapproval rating.

Keep in mind, this is a fake poll from fake NBC News, so this was likely weighted to look better than it really was to help Biden as much as possible. Regardless, that 48 percent disapproval rating will worry the White House more than anything.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2021/08/23/nolte-poll-biden-congressional-democrats/

Edited by Big Blitz
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Backintheday544 said:

If you simply pick your survey people well enough you can get any response you like. From the same survey:

Just over half of independents give DeSantis a favorable rating, and a majority of no-party voters favor him over Crist and Fried.

If you think he is down 10% but independents favor him you will believe anything.

11 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

If you simply pick your survey people well enough you can get any response you like. From the same survey:

Just over half of independents give DeSantis a favorable rating, and a majority of no-party voters favor him over Crist and Fried.

If you think he is down 10% but independents favor him you will believe anything.

It wouldn’t matter if he was down 1. It still spells trouble.

2 minutes ago, Governor said:

It wouldn’t matter if he was down 1. It still spells trouble.

This feels more like hope than anything.   The guy has some Teflon on him for sure.  The press have been going to great lengths to smear the guy, and people generally are not buying it.  

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Tenhigh said:

This feels more like hope than anything.   The guy has some Teflon on him for sure.  The press have been going to great lengths to smear the guy, and people generally are not buying it.  

Voter’s don’t like when you attack the public school system and teachers.

Just ask Chris Christie.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Governor said:

Just ask Chris Christie.

They also don't like to be told what to do.   I think we will have to wait and see.   

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Governor said:

Just ask Chris Christie.

He is attacking school board members and increasing pay for teachers. You seem to think school board members are as important as the teachers. 

5 minutes ago, Doc said:

Florida's public school system sucks. 

Florida public schools passed NY public schools on about the year 1998 and now is one of the best. The amount of people who believe it is still 1985 is astounding.

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

He is attacking school board members and increasing pay for teachers. You seem to think school board members are as important as the teachers. 

Florida public schools passed NY public schools on about the year 1998 and now is one of the best. The amount of people who believe it is still 1985 is astounding.

His numbers are upside down on the mask thing. It’s over 60 percent against him.