EDIT: Total cost to taxpayers? Bills select sports firm to represent ownership in building new open air stadium in OP, targeted for 2025

On 6/18/2021 at 1:11 PM, Allen2Diggs said:

The only way a new stadium is worth it is if it's built downtown and gets a ton of major concerts and events year round. Enjoy the relatively inexpensive tickets while you can. We will pay for the new stadium with increased ticket and concession costs, personal seat licenses, and higher taxes.

However, I think it would do wonders for Buffalo's economy and the shops and restaurants within a few miles of the stadium would thrive. Finding a parcel of land that large near downtown that also has the proper infrastructure is no easy task. With the cost of land reaching a peak right now, they may have to wait a few years for the housing market to die down or risk getting into a bidding war.

You’re 100% right about the downtown stadium.  They talk about it on the podcast.  The problem is the infrastructure downtown probably could not support the stadium which means they’ve have to start from scratch and it would be too expensive to justify.  

That’s the reason why they are building in Orchard Park.  The open air part is a little unclear to me.  It seems like it would benefit the county more with an option to close the roof.  My guess is that they want to keep the same football environment.

7 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Who is talking about the Pegulas SELLING the team?  They are talking about a possibility to MOVE the team.

My bad… that’s what I meant

49 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

I’ve been of the mind that the Pegula’s aren’t going to sell the team and I feel that the ridiculous public funding was an attempt to aim high at the start of negotiations - though one that was somewhat tone deaf.

In the Tim Graham show linked below, Timmy and Matt Fairburn share some pros and cons about whether Terry and Kim would actually move the team.

Tim Graham needs to stop leaking fake info to people in Albany to stir up trouble. 

No matter how hard he tries he cannot replace Jerry Sullivan.

37 minutes ago, scuba guy said:

The hole Austin thing was a joke.

And the reporters are just digging for hits or the junk that they report.

The person reporting it was a bad joke.

• Agree 1

Only 75 pages?

10 hours ago, RiotAct said:

^^^^^^

Lots of open land in Batavia…

They should move the stadium to Salamanca

23 hours ago, BillStime said:

Works. Just build it downtown. Makes ZERO sense to build in OP.

Everyone wants this but it’s way too expensive.  The infrastructure downtown can’t support it

15 hours ago, JohnNord said:

Everyone wants this but it’s way too expensive.  The infrastructure downtown can’t support it

You are right that the current infrastructure could not handle the stadium downtown but a competent mayor and county could make it work. The lack of competence is why they are keeping the stadium where it is 

8 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

You are right that the current infrastructure could not handle the stadium downtown but a competent mayor and county could make it work. The lack of competence is why they are keeping the stadium where it is 

That's your opinion and not necessarily correct 

There's been tons of studies shown that downtown stadiums do nothing to help an economy... There is no economic benefit to putting a new stadium downtown , besides being the trendy thing 

Gillette stadium is in the suburbs of Boston.. nobody cries that it's not in downtown 

You're there to watch a football game to have the best possible experience... Orchard Park offers the best experience top to bottom because Buffalo Bills fans tailgate like the sec... No other NFL fan base is like that 

And it's a huge part of the Buffalo Bills game day experience which will disappear if it goes downtown.. and 90% of Buffalonians aren't going to be bar hopping before the game

Bill's tailgating is about tradition family friends food and fun, and you need the space for that... Orchard Park has the space

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Buffalo716 said:

That's your opinion and not necessarily correct 

There's been tons of studies shown that downtown stadiums do nothing to help an economy... There is no economic benefit to putting a new stadium downtown , besides being the trendy thing 

Gillette stadium is in the suburbs of Boston.. nobody cries that it's not in downtown 

You're there to watch a football game to have the best possible... Orchard Park offers the best experience top to bottom because Buffalo Bills fans tailgate like the sec... No other NFL fan base is like that 

And it's a huge part of the Buffalo Bills game day experience which will disappear if it goes downtown.. and 90% of Buffalonians aren't going to be bar hopping before the game

Bill's tailgating is about tradition family friends food and fun, and you need the space for that... Orchard Park has the space

3  points- I never said it was a economic benefit to the city, you had to pretend I said that in order to say I was wrong.

Many cities larger than Buffalo have downtown Stadiums so it is clearly possible to have one down there, it would just take competent leadership.

I have never been to Gillette but it's location is the one terrible thing about it I  have heard from many people that the public transport sucks and the one road in and out sucks.

You are correct about the tailgating but I doubt tailgating will away the Pegulas much, but that is an opinion.

24 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

3  points- I never said it was a economic benefit to the city, you had to pretend I said that in order to say I was wrong.

Many cities larger than Buffalo have downtown Stadiums so it is clearly possible to have one down there, it would just take competent leadership.

I have never been to Gillette but it's location is the one terrible thing about it I  have heard from many people that the public transport sucks and the one road in and out sucks.

You are correct about the tailgating but I doubt tailgating will away the Pegulas much, but that is an opinion.

Again it's the trendy thing to put stadiums downtown.. it doesn't mean it's the best or right thing

100% they have the best people doing research to provide the best game day experience.. they will put the stadium where it is best for the majority of fans

And just reading between the lines.. my opinion is that it's clearly going back in orchard Park because it is the best for the majority of fans .. 

Buffalo is a blue collar rust belt City.. the last thing it needs is a billion dollar Palace downtown.. that will stick out like a sore thumb

They just need a football stadium to play football.. if the league wasn't pressuring them they wouldn't even build it

So of course it's going in the most economical spot, to keep a good game day experience.. which is probably orchard Park

Edited by Buffalo716

I was in San Antonio this weekend and drove past the Alamodome sitting there right on the edge of downtown. I couldn’t help but think of the many times that it was rumored to have been built for the Bills. It never happened and so there it sits. A 65,000 seat domed venue…empty.