Jump to content

Tua throws 5 picks on first day of Dolphins mini camp


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Xavien Howard must have had a hell of a practice....oh wait

@ScottLaw

1 hour ago, teef said:

oh i wouldn't feel comfortable at all about it.  i'm with the others that think they should have just kept him in and let him take is lumps last year.  miami has a solid core and he seems to be the one element that's going to hold them back.  with the way he ended up the regular season in buffalo last year, and the nonsense about him not knowing, (or maybe understanding) the playbook appropriately, i'd be nervous as a  phins fan.


Every time you agree with me, an orphan gets a puppy. 

  • Thank you (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The gut check tells me Tua won't make it in NFL, though I hope he does.  I have the same feeling about Kyler Murray.  But who knows, they may be installing new plays or the position coach wanted Tua to push it in a tight window.  Give him a little slack at this point.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

 

Maybe in better weather those are completions and as others have said - it is June - he has a lot of time, but when you combine this with his being babied last year and not taking risks - even when supported by a top flight defense and couple that with a new OC - so many new things to learn - I am not sure they are developing a franchise QB properly.

 

I would say this staff has broken just about every rule for properly developing a QB they could.  They put him in before he was ready.  They let him play while injured- even if mild.  They pulled him in close and important games.  They babied him when he was the QB.  They switched OC after his first season. 

 

A perfect recap of his development.  His mental side of the game is going to be as important as his physical side.

This start surely isn't a plus.

  • Like (+1) 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Fan in Chicago said:

But if emphasis on throwing the ball is resulting in picks, in non contact practice, it is a matter of concern. OTOH he wont throw and is super conservative/indecisive. Which by itself is a problem. Now when he is being coached to get rid of it, he looks like Peterman, that is compounding the concern. Sound to me like he has a big problem in making decisions - either he doesnt chuck it at all or is incorrect. He doesnt have the "rookie" excuse either. 

 

Bears watching as this off season progresses, to know who the bills have to worry about (or not)

 

 

So I don't think it is a matter for concern, yet. But I also don't think him getting the ball out necessarily improves him. It might make him a turnover machine, but the point is for the Dolphins you have to find that out. The absolute worst outcome for them is they hide him behind defense and running game and waste another year pretending they got something going 10-7 and putting off the decision. You can never win that way even if you get one of the better risk averse non-throwing guys like we had with Tyrod. You gotta make a guy throw and if he can't cut your losses and move on.

  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Tua doesnt have an NFL arm, imo, from what i saw last year.

 

Just like Mac Jones this year, played for the semi-pro Alabama team against inferior competition can hide a lot of QB flaws. 

 

IMO Tua NEVER did have a high ceiling.  

 

I am stunned Dolphins didn't draft a QB high, i think they will regret it big time,

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DallasBillsFan1 said:

The gut check tells me Tua won't make it in NFL, though I hope he does.  I have the same feeling about Kyler Murray.  But who knows, they may be installing new plays or the position coach wanted Tua to push it in a tight window.  Give him a little slack at this point.

 

I don't see Tua and Murray as comparable at this point, and I'm wondering why you do?

 

Tua just isn't generating enough offense to date - 181 ypg last season.

 

Now I grant you our own Josh, his first two years, wasn't generating enough passing offense (QB needs to generate >=220 yds of offense to correlate to teams winning consistently).  But when you sum his rushing YPG and passing YPG, he was generating 224, 225 YPG of offense. 

 

By that yardstick, Murray is doing OK.  He's generating >220 ypg with his arm alone (233, 248) and last year pushed 300 ypg (299) when his rush yards were added in.  And he seems to have the full passing vocabulary, unlike Lamar Jackson who was still missing a couple pieces last season.

 

That's not to disrespect your feeling, but wondering what's behind it, as I see them as different.

 

I don't see Tua as having an NFL arm at this point.  Hopefully it was a hip issue and he's gotten his mechanics right and is still tuning that in.

 

Well, hopefully except when they're playing the Bills

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

It doesn't matter what it was. It doesn't mean anything. 

 

 

You're right it doesn't mean anything in general terms, however it's definitely concerning if you're a Fins fan when he is throwing 5 INT's during 7 on 7 with no rush or anyone in his face.

 

Not many INT's happen during 7 on 7 with any QB, certainly not 5. First I have ever heard of a QB throwing that many during a 7 on 7 drill.

 

But yes, you are correct it doesn't mean anything in the grand scheme of things, but it for sure isn't something to disregard. 

Edited by Patrick_Duffy
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

 

I don't see Tua and Murray as comparable at this point, and I'm wondering why you do?

 

Tua just isn't generating enough offense to date - 181 ypg last season.

 

Now I grant you our own Josh, his first two years, wasn't generating enough passing offense (QB needs to generate >=220 yds of offense to correlate to teams winning consistently).  But when you sum his rushing YPG and passing YPG, he was generating 224, 225 YPG of offense. 

 

By that yardstick, Murray is doing OK.  He's generating >220 ypg with his arm alone (233, 248) and last year pushed 300 ypg (299) when his rush yards were added in.  And he seems to have the full passing vocabulary, unlike Lamar Jackson who was still missing a couple pieces last season.

 

That's not to disrespect your feeling, but wondering what's behind it, as I see them as different.

 

I don't see Tua as having an NFL arm at this point.  Hopefully it was a hip issue and he's gotten his mechanics right and is still tuning that in.

 

Well, hopefully except when they're playing the Bills

 

In regard to the bold, just wanted to point out that while you are certainly correct, the first year Josh was playing with the worst group of WR's I think Bills may have ever had. The OL was an issue also, however I don't think the OL was nearly as big of an issue as the down right awful pass catchers were.

 

2nd year obviously was good improvement, due to upgrade with J. Brown and Beasley. Actually had a couple reliable WR's he could count on. Anyways, just wanted to point out that Murray not only had Hopkins, their WR's were pretty decent outside of Hopkins. 

 

As far as Tua goes, he had a solid group of WR's also. He just wasn't  very good last season.

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

They never provide context when it's this man. The rain and them trying out new plays didn't even matter, Tua didn't have the best rookie season so let's rag on every mistake he makes. Omar saying that a QB shouldn't throw picks even if a hurricane is occurring LOL! 

 

He rebounded today nonetheless. I count 5 but people are saying 6 TDs 0 INTs.

https://twitter.com/Safid_Deen/status/1405223230043049990?s=19

 

https://twitter.com/JCTSports/status/1405218472200712195?s=19

 

https://twitter.com/ArmandoSalguero/status/1405197506863054856?s=19

 

 

Edited by DolFAN93
  • Haha (+1) 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, DolFAN93 said:

They never provide context when it's this man. The rain and them trying out new plays didn't even matter, Tua didn't have the best rookie season so let's rag on every mistake he makes. Omar saying that a QB shouldn't throw picks even if a hurricane is occurring LOL! 

 

He rebounded today nonetheless. I count 5 but people are saying 6 TDs 0 INTs.

https://twitter.com/Safid_Deen/status/1405223230043049990?s=19

 

https://twitter.com/JCTSports/status/1405218472200712195?s=19

 

https://twitter.com/ArmandoSalguero/status/1405197506863054856?s=19

 

 

It’s the off-season. What do you expect? 

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, DolFAN93 said:

They never provide context when it's this man. The rain and them trying out new plays didn't even matter, Tua didn't have the best rookie season so let's rag on every mistake he makes. Omar saying that a QB shouldn't throw picks even if a hurricane is occurring LOL! 

 

He rebounded today nonetheless. I count 5 but people are saying 6 TDs 0 INTs.

https://twitter.com/Safid_Deen/status/1405223230043049990?s=19

 

https://twitter.com/JCTSports/status/1405218472200712195?s=19

 

https://twitter.com/ArmandoSalguero/status/1405197506863054856?s=19

 

 

That's kinda what one would expect in a 7 on 7. 

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

That's kinda what one would expect in a 7 on 7. 

Sure is. There's just a lot of hypocrisy from certain beat writers, and even "fans" down here. That's all.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, loedward22 said:

 

We played them pretty late last season and it went okay...

I ment we could get a lot of interest because we get them so early in the year

 

But of course it is Sept in fl and will be hot

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DolFAN93 said:

They never provide context when it's this man. The rain and them trying out new plays didn't even matter, Tua didn't have the best rookie season so let's rag on every mistake he makes. Omar saying that a QB shouldn't throw picks even if a hurricane is occurring LOL! 

 

He rebounded today nonetheless. I count 5 but people are saying 6 TDs 0 INTs.

https://twitter.com/Safid_Deen/status/1405223230043049990?s=19

 

https://twitter.com/JCTSports/status/1405218472200712195?s=19

 

https://twitter.com/ArmandoSalguero/status/1405197506863054856?s=19

 

 

 

He threw those TD's today but my understanding is that the defense was on the sideline. 

  • Haha (+1) 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Im not sure where i read it but there was an article a few weeks ago how a Dolphins player commented on Tua looking and acting different at camp: his voice is a little deeper and his facial hair a little longer, alluding to the belief that he matured this offseason. 
 

i am really happy the Dolphins have Tua. Im being completely objective when i say i saw absolutely nothing about his game last year that scared me or led me to think “yeh this guy may be a problem for us down the road.”  Nothing. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...