Tua throws 5 picks on first day of Dolphins mini camp

1 hour ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

And who are you to differ, infidel?!  Robert Foster and Tua as a combo equals the cover of Madden 2022!

🙄😁

Lol, it's a shame he didn't work out. Showed some promise and just seemed to vanish. Very disappointing.

7 hours ago, eball said:

I have a good friend who lives and breathes Bama football and he still believes Tua is the greatest thing since sliced bread.  We’ll see.

Does your good friend do any SKYDIVING by any chance?  Maybe does you friend have NASA connection throughout Alabama?

LOL

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 6/15/2021 at 8:54 PM, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Camp is where you make mistakes, find out what not to do, and get better so this report doesn't mean anything to me. But thank goodness the Dolphins drafted Tua over Herbert. 

It's a pretty interesting list of teams that drafted the wrong 1st round QB & the next 1st round QB taken proved the higher drafting team wrong.  Here's a list.  In order to get on the list both QBs had to be 1st round picks and the 2nd QB had to be the next QB taken in that draft.  Ironically, the Bills won the battle twice:

2020 Miami-Tua, LA Chargers Herbert

2018 Jets-Darnold, Bills-Allen

2017 Bears-Trubisky, KC-Mahomes

2012 Washington-RGIII, Miami-Tannehill

2006 Arizona-Leinart, Denver-Cutler

2005 SF-Al.Smith, GB-Rodgers

1999 (happened twice) 1st, Cleveland-Couch, Philadelphia McNabb

2nd time, same year Cincinnati-Ak. Smith, Minnesota-Culpepper

1987 STL-Stouffer, Atl-C. Miller

1983 KC-Blackledge, Bills-Kelly

1982 Baltimore-Schlichter, Chicago-McMahon

1979 Cincinnati-Thompson, NYG-Simms

• Like (+1) 3

22 hours ago, bobobonators said:

Im not sure where i read it but there was an article a few weeks ago how a Dolphins player commented on Tua looking and acting different at camp: his voice is a little deeper and his facial hair a little longer, alluding to the belief that he matured this offseason. 

i am really happy the Dolphins have Tua. Im being completely objective when i say i saw absolutely nothing about his game last year that scared me or led me to think “yeh this guy may be a problem for us down the road.”  Nothing. 

He hit puberty!

• Haha (+1) 2

9 hours ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

Lol, it's a shame he didn't work out. Showed some promise and just seemed to vanish. Very disappointing.

It was maturity and LeSean McCoy was the only one who seemed to be able to get it in his head that just because he played for Alabama that he did not walk on water and he needed to practice and play like a professional.  When Bills let McCoy go (rather than trading him for a late round pick to let him go where he wanted) he went back to his old habits.

It is nice when a college QB can step right in and be successful right away and I always lean towards giving QB's a long runway to grow into their NFL roles and being more patient than most, but I did not know what to think of Tua last year - too much hype comes to mind.

I was underwhelmed by his abilities and was not sure if it was lingering issues from the hip surgery or what, but he just did not look sharp. I thought he would bring in all these elements of rushing, extending plays, and hitting guys off platform but not so much. I was glad they benched Fitz in favor of Tua as Fitz always played us tough. I don't see our defense playing scared or on their heels facing Tua or any of the current AFC East QBs.

I was a bit surprised when we took on Kyler Murray. As one of the newer generation of QBs I never followed him much and the guy struck me as kind of a pouting diva so did not care to follow zona games, BUT that smurf can ball out. It was like the Bills were defending a Tyreek Hill who could throw. He just has that zero to "he just ran past me" change of direction, quickness, and speed that he combines with a pretty quick release and decent touch when he throws. Tough to defend.

There has been a bit of a changing of the guards with a lot of good young QB's stepping up including our own. Although, the 43 year old goat still held the Lombardi trophy... yet again last year. 

Tua is failure in Yiddish…, 

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

I want to make sure I understand. 

So Tua is declared a bust after a handful of games last season and this seasons training camp.

But Josh Allen gets 3 full years to prove he's not a bust ?

Got it.

To get the fact straight, Allen was declared a bust the minute he got drafted. Some in this board even rage quit because Bills drafted the wrong Josh.

Edited by syhuang
  • Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, syhuang said:

To get the fact straight, Allen was declared a bust the minute he got drafted. Some in this board even rage quite because Bills drafted the wrong Josh.

I think they "rage quit" because they put their balls on chopping block stating he was the best QB in that draft and could not post without being ridiculed constantly doubling down after draft.

44 minutes ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

So Tua is declared a bust after a handful of games last season and this seasons training camp.

Got it.

You think Allen was not declared a bust just now, after 3 years?  He got better in his rookie year as the season went on and played solid in 2019.

Allen in his last game his rookie year, had a total of 5 TD’s.  Tua struggled against the Bills 2nd and 3rd string in a game they needed to win.  Then the following OTA’s without a pass rush in 7 on 7’s…

He isn’t done but I would be concerned if I was a Dolphins fan.

• Agree 1

On 6/17/2021 at 4:56 PM, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

Got it.

Not sure you understand.

Folks are saying his play has been underwhelming - to date, and I said I am not overly-concerned that our defense cannot handle Tua. I am not that concerned with Tua's play although Gesicki (like every other capable TE) has given our defense fits. The other reason I am not as concerned with Miami is because Allen seems to play some of his best ball against them too - hard to be an offensive threat while cooling your heels on the sideline.

Bust is more of a summary judgement and takes a few years of seeing if a QB's play is trending in the wrong direction.

As another poster pointed out, Allen started out with the "bust" label already in place from much of the NFL world and no few Bills fans. Each year his play has trended in the right direction and the only question that remains is how much improvement remains till he reaches that ceiling where great QBs move from macro-level improvements to just being able to tweak and refine their game?

Edited by WideNine
  • Agree 1

On 6/17/2021 at 7:56 PM, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

Got it.

"Look at Josh Allen's rookie tape and you get lots of wow and did he just do that plays. Turn on Tua's tape and you get 4 min of meh followed by 12 min of Fitz." -Colin Cowherd

You can see the difference in guys who have something and guys who just are not gonna be NFL QBs. 

Sam Darnold you could see he wasn't much of a leader and around Josh he was a pup compared to how Josh acted. It showed on the Jets where he needed to be a strong leader.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Got it.

I must’ve missed Tua’s highlights tape, I was too busy reveling in this YouTube rabbit home instead…

Edited by NoHuddleKelly12
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Got it.

Tua has been surrounded by the best coaching and talent since high school.  How much room for improvement does Tua have compared to first year Allen?

On 6/16/2021 at 9:13 PM, Patrick_Duffy said:

Agree. I didn't think much of him before he got drafted. Leading up to that draft they said he would fall since teams were worried about his injury. I didn't think much of him even before he got injured.

Was actually glad Fins drafted him. 

I know it’s still early but as of now I’m glad Fins drafted Tua and not Herbert 

obv it's early, but i think an nfl qb needs a great body (physical gifts) a great head (smarts, learning, processing) and a ton of moxy (toughness, confidence, a green light, being a leader).  I think TUA had a lot of all 3 on bama at the college level (being on a super team like that just has a different requirement from a qb) but is lacking anything special in all 3 at the pro level.  obv he might turn it around, but i really doubt it because i think he's much closer to a finished product who doesn't have enough extra to tap into.

he might end up being a career decent to solid bq (andy dalton, less than alex smith) but i don't see him being on the level of allen, mayfield, jackson at all.

1 hour ago, colin said:

he might end up being a career decent to solid bq (andy dalton, less than alex smith) but i don't see him being on the level of allen, mayfield, jackson at all.

Both Alex Smith and Andy Dalton were long term starting QBs which in many years did not have much support from coaches or team so that is wrong model.

Tua's best chance is he has a head coach which comes from a coaching tree which sportsmanship is devalued and cheating is looked as a virtue.

• Haha (+1) 1