First time in buffalo

Hey guys just bought my tickets for the Bills/Pats* monday night game in Dec.  This will be my first trip to Buffalo, been a fan for 30 years and finally get to see our Bills at home. Im in the Coast Guard and have seen them everywhere i have been stationed, finally close enough to drive up and see them in Buffalo.  

That being said, can you guys give me reccomendations for things every bills fan should do while there.  Might sound cheezy but i want real buffalo wings, beef on a weck, a garbage plate so on and so forth, where should i go for all that.   Thanks guys look forward to the advice and cant wait to see them kill the Pats*!

• Like (+1) 21
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Depends on where in the city you will be . Everyone has their own favorites for wings. You could go to anchor bar but you pay for the name not the quality IMO. You could go to any bar and get beef on weck and wings. I would recommend mooneys and also try the Mac n cheese. I haven’t had a garbage plate in forever around here so I hoping I can get a great recommendation. 

Bar Bill can take care of you for both the Beef on Weck and the Wings.  I think its the best place to be able to knock out both of those.  They have combos for them and they are both excellent there.  Anchor Bar is not good and is just a tourist destination really.  Duffs is also good though if you want to go for just wings. 

For Buffalo style pizza, I prefer Bocci's, Franco's, Imperial, and Santora's.  Imperial and Santora's are good for sitting down and eating there.  Bocci's and Franco's not so much.  Unaware of garbage plates in Buffalo, I think its more of a Rochester thing, but maybe someone else knows.

Have fun!

Edited by Mark80
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

Food threads are always popular here.

"9 Classic Buffalo Foods to Be Thankful For"

https://www.visitbuffaloniagara.com/9-classic-buffalo-foods-to-be-thankful-for/

From the link above:

1. Beef on Weck

2. Buffalo-Style Pizza

3. Sponge Candy

4. Peanut Sticks

5. Spaghetti Parm

6. Charcoal-Broiled Hot Dogs

7. Chicken Wings

8. Fish Fry

9. Chicken Finger Subs

Also, check this link out for more foods:

https://www.onlyinyourstate.com/new-york/buffalo/iconic-foods-buffalo/

"These 11 Iconic Foods In Buffalo Will Have Your Mouth Watering"

Edited by chongli
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic comes up quite a bit. Someone put together a spread sheet for game day and it includes places to visit. I am terrible at using the search function, maybe someone else can post it.

Another staple is Mighty Taco, I never miss it when I go home. Make sure you visit a good Italian restaurant (if you like it) as these seem different at home than anywhere else (my choices are Chef's, Ilio's or Mulberry Italian Ristorante).

Have fun.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

With an antacid, Mighty Taco, Blasdell/Abbott Pizza (they are the same as Harry grabbed the recipe from the Abbott owners 40 years ago, and yes I worked there in college), OV Beer, Beef on Weck has changed over the years, it used to be Schwabbels, but I loved the OP place, and just have fun. These are all crappy things meaning not some of the great nice restaurants we have in Buffalo, but anyone on Yelp can tell you that.  You can’t leave Buff., without a Mighty, real Buuf. Pizza slice, and a Canadien beer.

If you’re bringing family and it was September I would say Cave of the Winds from the Falls as that is beautiful, but it’s ungodly cold at that point.  You’ll have a great time, as the people are the best part of the city, and Wegmans if you resented a place is never bad as they have everything.

Have fun and thanks for the service.

Oh, don’t forget Ilios and tell Dennis Dipaolo the son and owner you’re a true blue Bills fan.  It’s in Blasdell and a staple for the Kelly era guys.  Dennis can tell you a lot of stories.

Edited by machine gun kelly
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

It you get into Tonawanda I'd recommend a Sahlen's hot dog at Ted's (burgers are great too) and then some frozen custard at Andersons just down the street. It's a great inexpensive lunch.  Both are on Sheridan Dr.   Duffs for wings, Bocces for pizza.  

Wegmans is a grocery store chain in WNY and if you see one you should drop in.  I know, I know, a grocery store?  If you need to get any food or drinks for the room at night and you see a Wegmans, take a minute and drop in and check it out.  

Hope you have a great trip!

Edited by Inigo Montoya
  • Like (+1) 9

24 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

The Red Roof has a crummy breakfast buffet

House I used to deliver Blasdell Za to that crap hole in the late 80’s.  I think I backed into the wall more than once with my 1979 Ford fairmont.

Coastal, there’s a Ted’s in OP as well and my six fingered friend is right.  It’s on Southwestern.  Right by Nino’s pizza.  Another good one.  Come on with a jersey and tell them you’re in for a Bills experience and the locals will treat you well in any watering hole.  

we’re called the Queen City for a reason.  The best part of Buffalo is the people. If you’re a regular guy, they’ll love you and treat you well.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I cant thank you guys enough this is all great, we are staying in an airbnb out near OP,  gonna make a long weekend of it and go into buffalo and see why shes called the Queen City. Look forward to seeing all the great things she has to offer.  And yeah totally down to earth guy, military has a way of humbling you!  Lol

• Like (+1) 6

11 minutes ago, USCGBILLSFAN said:

I cant thank you guys enough this is all great, we are staying in an airbnb out near OP,  gonna make a long weekend of it and go into buffalo and see why shes called the Queen City. Look forward to seeing all the great things she has to offer.  And yeah totally down to earth guy, military has a way of humbling you!  Lol

Get a reservation way ahead for Mulberry's in Lackawanna.  Some of the best, homemade Italian food you will find anywhere!

• Like (+1) 5

Go to hammers lot for pre game to experience why buff is called the queen city.

Andersons for beef on weck And a salt bum

Rochester is more known for the garbage plates.

I just remembered as a kid during the blizzard of 77 all the neighbors with shovels going to every driveway and helping out shoveling out just being a great person 

That is what the city is all about 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, USCGBILLSFAN said:

Hey guys just bought my tickets for the Bills/Pats* monday night game in Dec.  This will be my first trip to Buffalo, been a fan for 30 years and finally get to see our Bills at home. Im in the Coast Guard and have seen them everywhere i have been stationed, finally close enough to drive up and see them in Buffalo.  

That being said, can you guys give me reccomendations for things every bills fan should do while there.  Might sound cheezy but i want real buffalo wings, beef on a weck, a garbage plate so on and so forth, where should i go for all that.   Thanks guys look forward to the advice and cant wait to see them kill the Pats*!

This Fandom has me so weirdly wired, that reading this made me gushing happy for a stranger lol its like a reuniting story 😅. That's awesome man, enjoy, and some wings sound killer right now 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, USCGBILLSFAN said:

Thanks for your service!  Enjoy Buffalo!

• Like (+1) 2

41 minutes ago, USCGBILLSFAN said:

I'm a Bocce's man myself but if you are south of Buffalo, I recommend Imperial Pizza for the Buffalo style pizza experience. Gotta have those charred, curled pepperonis!

Wow!  So much to do so little time!  All great suggestions!  Absoluetly will do Hammers lot!  Fish fry sounds great!  Glad you guys are getting just as amped up for this as i am!  We truely have the best fans in the NFL, and you guys are proof

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2