First time in buffalo

On 5/20/2021 at 11:54 PM, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Can anyone suggest a good hotel to stay at the weekend of a game? Do some tend to have more Bills fans out and about then others? 

It sounds like Bar Bill on Main Street in East Aurora should be a destination. Are their good hotels or motels in that area or is it better to stay down town or near the airport?

I don't know if anyone got back to you on your question 

But here goes.

The Hampton Inn is really the only hotel in East aurora it is nice has an indoor pool.

You could walk to bar bill if you wanted too.

Nice thing is get out of the back entrance to the stadium and you will be there in 20 minutes. There are also some airbnbs in east aurora also. I grow up in Marilla.

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/14/2021 at 9:37 AM, USCGBILLSFAN said:

Hey guys just bought my tickets for the Bills/Pats* monday night game in Dec.  This will be my first trip to Buffalo, been a fan for 30 years and finally get to see our Bills at home. Im in the Coast Guard and have seen them everywhere i have been stationed, finally close enough to drive up and see them in Buffalo.  

That being said, can you guys give me reccomendations for things every bills fan should do while there.  Might sound cheezy but i want real buffalo wings, beef on a weck, a garbage plate so on and so forth, where should i go for all that.   Thanks guys look forward to the advice and cant wait to see them kill the Pats*!

For the garbage plate, go to University Hots and University Hots only. They have the best and it's not even close. Their meat sauce is better than any other place you would go. There used to be 2 of them in Buffalo right by UB but the guy that owns them closed them down. The only one I know of now is out in Geneseo by SUNY Geneseo. It's about an hour and 15 minutes from Buffalo but really worth the drive. Me and my buddy make 2 trips out there every year

Edited by Buffalo03

On 5/14/2021 at 10:18 AM, Inigo Montoya said:

It you get into Tonawanda I'd recommend a Sahlen's hot dog at Ted's (burgers are great too) and then some frozen custard at Andersons just down the street. It's a great inexpensive lunch.  Both are on Sheridan Dr.   Duffs for wings, Bocces for pizza.  

Wegmans is a grocery store chain in WNY and if you see one you should drop in.  I know, I know, a grocery store?  If you need to get any food or drinks for the room at night and you see a Wegmans, take a minute and drop in and check it out.  

Hope you have a great trip!

Both of these places are right next to each other on Niagara Falls blvd in the Tonawanda/Amherst area. And Slick Willie's which is a great bar with good wings is in a plaza across the street and a little diagonal from both Teds and Andersons. But yes, Teds for a hot dog is delicious 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

On 5/20/2021 at 8:40 AM, Mango said:

Unpopular opinion/Hot Take.

The Garbage Plate is not a thing. It is a conglomeration of ingredients. There is no unifying sauce, seasoning, flavor, or technique. Yours might be cheeseburger, pasta salad, french fries, and mustard. I might go with hashbrowns, hotdogs, mac and cheese, with ketchup and hot sauce. But Rochester steps up  and goes, "yup, both of those things you ordered, ours, they are the same, that is us, we own this "dish"". Rochester is in no mans land and they are just begging to be attached to something and the best they could come up with was this garbage plate. They only have minor league sports. They are too far away to be considered part of WNY. People don't totally affiliate them with the finger lakes, at least from outside the region. Syracuse does a little bit better job of that. Syracuse also has the Orange.

Flanking Rochester on either side of the 90 are two cities with some sort of national notoriety. An identity. A thing. The Garbage Plate is Rochester's stupid attempt to be "known for something" like the middle child acting out in school for attention. 

I like your humor. As a lifelong resident of the Rochester area with family from Buffalo, I’ve often made fun of the area. However, it’s a decent place to live. I’m not sure if I see much decent about Syracuse. It looks like the Scranton of NY, but to each their own. Apart from SU basketball and St.Patty’s Day, I wouldn’t say Syracuse does much well. The metro Rochester area is much more desirable imo. 

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, SirAndrew said:

I like your humor. As a lifelong resident of the Rochester area with family from Buffalo, I’ve often made fun of the area. However, it’s a decent place to live. I’m not sure if I see much decent about Syracuse. It looks like the Scranton of NY, but to each their own. Apart from SU basketball and St.Patty’s Day, I wouldn’t say Syracuse does much well. The metro Rochester area is much more desirable imo. 

I am just messing around. Syracuse is a poop hole. If I had to choose I’d take Rochester over Syracuse. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/14/2021 at 9:37 AM, USCGBILLSFAN said:

Might sound cheezy but i want real buffalo wings, beef on a weck, a garbage plate

Sounds like you want the calorie tour. Gotta be careful. I know the CG has weigh-ins.

On 5/14/2021 at 10:18 AM, Inigo Montoya said:

Wegmans is a grocery store chain in WNY and if you see one you should drop in.  I know, I know, a grocery store?  If you need to get any food or drinks for the room at night and you see a Wegmans, take a minute and drop in and check it out.  

The Mushroom Truffle pizza at Alberta Drive store is of European quality eats.

24 minutes ago, Buffalo619 said:

Does all entertainment in Buffalo include eating ?

You can’t leave out general entertainment options at Applebee’s, Dave & Busters, drinking and sex. At least, that was my experience. 

OK, I never went to Applebee’s or Dave & Busters, but the rest is true! 

• Haha (+1) 1

Lucky dog. Hope you have a blast!

All my friends like tropical climate, beach-type places to go vacation, but Buffalo is my preferred vacation spot (as long as it's football season)!

I'm from Northern Virginia, lived half my life there, the other half in Texas, but Buffalo is my spirit animal & destination spot. My wife thinks I'm crazy. I think she hasn't been to Buffalo enough :)