First time in buffalo

USCGBILLSFAN, I forgot to mention that Buffalo boasts a lot of beautiful, old - sometimes decaying - architecture.

100+ years ago, Buffalo was the 8th biggest city in the U.S. and one of the richest.  The Erie Canal made it the hub of inland shipping.  In fact, it was the biggest grain port in the world for decades.  It was a huge rail nexus as well.  Pierce Arrow was building some of the best and most expensive cars in Buffalo.  And the Westinghouse power plant on the Niagara made Buffalo the first electrified city in the world.  In turn, that made Buffalo the Silicon Valley of its time - a place where inventors and innovators came to experiment with - and get rich on - electricity.   

All that money meant a lot of cool buildings were built, including Frank Lloyd Wright's Martin House that you can visit.  A section of Delaware Ave is rightly called "Millionaires Row."   City Hall is almost worth a tour even if it's in a sad state of disrepair.  Then there's the Hotel Lafayette, Richardson Olmstead Campus, Central Train Terminal, Statler, Saint Paul's, Botanical Gardens, Ellicott Square Building, and so on.   

Edited by hondo in seattle
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, Mark80 said:

Bar Bill can take care of you for both the Beef on Weck and the Wings.  I think its the best place to be able to knock out both of those.  They have combos for them and they are both excellent there.  Anchor Bar is not good and is just a tourist destination really.  Duffs is also good though if you want to go for just wings. 

For Buffalo style pizza, I prefer Bocci's, Franco's, Imperial, and Santora's.  Imperial and Santora's are good for sitting down and eating there.  Bocci's and Franco's not so much.  Unaware of garbage plates in Buffalo, I think its more of a Rochester thing, but maybe someone else knows.

Have fun!

Agree on Bar Bill if we are talking about the original in East Aurora.  Fantastic.  But the new one in Williamsville/Clarence is only pretty good.

6 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Schwabl's actually served the worst beef on weck I've ever had. It was served cold and dry. This might get some hate here, but beef on weck is truly not much to write home about. But as long as you don't have high expectations, it can be really good. I've tried Schwabl's, Charlie the Butcher, Duff's, a place in the Falls I can't remember, and two places in Buffalo I can't remember, and Duff's is actually the best and most consistent (I've had it there five or so times).

Duff's Char-BQ wings are the best wings I've ever had. The best. Otherwise, the truth is that wings are pretty much the same everywhere. Yes, Buffalo wings started in Buffalo, but Buffalo no longer holds some kind of secret to good wings. Don't expect anything different than you'd get elsewhere in the country.

Ted's hot dogs are meh. You can do much better grilling at home. They don't have the charred flavor you'd expect from the advertising. And the "cheese fries" is a cup of frozen fries with generic yellow cheese sauce for dipping, like you'd get at a county fair or something.

Buffalo-style pizza is kind of in between New York and Chicago. It's a thicker crust but not like a buttery deep dish. It's a style you have to have a taste for. The pepperoni is GREAT though. I wish they'd do that style of pepperoni on a New York-style crust.

Mighty Taco is enjoyable.

Is that margherita pepperoni?

6 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Schwabl's actually served the worst beef on weck I've ever had. It was served cold and dry. This might get some hate here, but beef on weck is truly not much to write home about. But as long as you don't have high expectations, it can be really good. I've tried Schwabl's, Charlie the Butcher, Duff's, a place in the Falls I can't remember, and two places in Buffalo I can't remember, and Duff's is actually the best and most consistent (I've had it there five or so times).

Duff's Char-BQ wings are the best wings I've ever had. The best. Otherwise, the truth is that wings are pretty much the same everywhere. Yes, Buffalo wings started in Buffalo, but Buffalo no longer holds some kind of secret to good wings. Don't expect anything different than you'd get elsewhere in the country.

Ted's hot dogs are meh. You can do much better grilling at home. They don't have the charred flavor you'd expect from the advertising. And the "cheese fries" is a cup of frozen fries with generic yellow cheese sauce for dipping, like you'd get at a county fair or something.

Buffalo-style pizza is kind of in between New York and Chicago. It's a thicker crust but not like a buttery deep dish. It's a style you have to have a taste for. The pepperoni is GREAT though. I wish they'd do that style of pepperoni on a New York-style crust.

Mighty Taco is enjoyable.

If going to Ted's you get the onion rings not the fries.

10 hours ago, Seasons1992 said:

Schwabl's in West Seneca for the best weck sandwich I've ever had. Although I'm a fan of Connor's as well.

Bar Bill for wings; cash only, FYI.

If you get to Schwabl’s, try the German potato salad. I expected great beef on weck, but had forgotten how good German potato salad could be!!! SO GOOD! 

Has the guide that (I think) @plenzmd1 created years ago been posted yet? That was a very nice compilation. 

6 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

I grew up in the Buffalo suburbs but haven't lived there since I was maybe 20.  But I do visit from time to time.  So here are some thoughts from someone who is kind of a local and kind of an outsider:

Don't be afraid to drive.  Buffalo is a small city as American metro areas go and the traffic congestion is nothing like LA.  There's no burb of Buffalo that's out of reach no matter where you stay.

Wings.  This didn't use to be true but you can now get good wings in lots of cities.  So I would go to the Anchor Bar, despite it not being the best wing joint in Buffalo, just to see the birthplace of the wing.  I do agree that Duff's and some other places are better than the Anchor Bar.  But they're not necessarily better than the best wing spots in other metro areas.    

Pizza.  I read an article by a pizza connoisseur who raved about Buffalo pizza.  It is indeed very good and for a very good reason.  Buffalo has far, far more pizzerias per capita than Chicago or NYC.  In fact, depending what list you look at, either Buffalo or Orlando (?!?!) have the most pizzerias per capita in America.  And interestingly, most pizza places in Buffalo are mom-and-pop places - the national chains don't tend to fare very well because their product doesn't meet Buffalo's high standards.  The pie competition in Buffalo is fierce and brings out the best in the local pizza chefs.  

Beef on Weck.  Charlie the Butcher is my go-to spot.  NYC celebrity chef, Geoffrey Zakarian, loves the place.  So do I.  

Sponge Candy.  I visit Parkside Candy's Main Street location nearly every time I'm in Buffalo.  The chocolates and sponge candy are good and the store is housed in a dilapidated architectural treasure.  

Niagara Falls.  Visit both the American and Canadian sides.  On the American side, you can walk out onto Goat Island, Luna Island, and the Three Sisters and get up close to the rapids and falls.  On the Canadian side, you get a better panoramic view of the three falls that make up Niagara: Horseshow, American and Bridal Veil.  The Maid of the Mist boat ride is worth the price and will take you to the middle of the Horseshow Falls.  

Btw, I have to disagree about Mighty Taco.  Mighty Taco used to serve awesome tacos and burritos in filthy little holes in the wall.  Then they went all Taco Bell and starting building typical fast food style restaurants with cheaper, crappier versions of the delicious stuff they used to sell.  I'm so disappointed in what Mighty has become that I will never visit them again.   

Also worth knowing, there's a Bills souvenir store in front of the stadium.  Sometimes I find things there I don't see online and didn't know I needed until I saw them there.  

Enjoy your visit.  Hope the Bills give you a victory to celebrate!

Also, if you go to Niagara Falls, check out Viola's Subs!

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, USCGBILLSFAN said:

Hey guys just bought my tickets for the Bills/Pats* monday night game in Dec.  This will be my first trip to Buffalo, been a fan for 30 years and finally get to see our Bills at home. Im in the Coast Guard and have seen them everywhere i have been stationed, finally close enough to drive up and see them in Buffalo.  

That being said, can you guys give me reccomendations for things every bills fan should do while there.  Might sound cheezy but i want real buffalo wings, beef on a weck, a garbage plate so on and so forth, where should i go for all that.   Thanks guys look forward to the advice and cant wait to see them kill the Pats*!

here is my own take.

half my life I lived in the buffalo suburbs, the other have I have lived elsewhere but still have family and friends there.

my area is the north side...tonawanda s and Amherst and Niagara Falls area.  

in the buffalo area you don’t have national pizza chains.   Every neighborhood has their own. It’s located at the corner Orin a small shopping center on a main road in their neighborhood.  

i grew up in the zip code in my profile which is the city of tonawanda.  There is a small local bar restaurant called squires. It has a small dinner plate of beef on weck and a small order of chicken wings of about 6 along with some fries.  Wallys is a sub place created by a highschool classmate of mine.  Franco’s pizza has good pizza and Johns pizza and subs on Niagara Falls blvd also is a good place.  

unfortunately you are going in winter.  In May-September the water front city park is a good place. Besides the place I mentioned there are a few other local restaurants you can eat outside and they also have ice cream stands as part of them.

for chicken wings duffs and anchor bar are the two big ones fir wings. Many places have decent wings. Chicken fingers are also another option.  Instead of wings it’s the same sauce but on chicken tenders.

unlike other cities, in buffalo you have one stop shops. It’s not just pizza at some places, then also do subs, calzones, French fries, and other things.

Teds is the place for hot dogs or italian sausage dogs.  Anderson’s is a place to get a beef on weck .  On Niagara Falls blvd there is a location where they are right next to each other.

when I go back to town I will try to get pizza and wings, teds, and beef on weck.  Where I live now in metro DC I have wegmans locally so I can get weck rolls at the local store.  

another thing I like that is unique to the area is loganberry drink.  The berries are grown in Pacific NW but it became popular years ago where it was sold at crystal beach.  Places like Teds, Anderson’s have these as part of its drink menu and you can buy cans in 12 pack at stores.

also...come back and visit in the summer.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, USCGBILLSFAN said:

Hey guys just bought my tickets for the Bills/Pats* monday night game in Dec.  This will be my first trip to Buffalo, been a fan for 30 years and finally get to see our Bills at home. Im in the Coast Guard and have seen them everywhere i have been stationed, finally close enough to drive up and see them in Buffalo.  

That being said, can you guys give me reccomendations for things every bills fan should do while there.  Might sound cheezy but i want real buffalo wings, beef on a weck, a garbage plate so on and so forth, where should i go for all that.   Thanks guys look forward to the advice and cant wait to see them kill the Pats*!

Charlie the butcher Prime Rib sandwich 😇😇

I don't get the infatuation with Bar Bill or Duffs. I've been to both places multiple times and have never had wings that can hold a candle to La Novas wings. Especially La Nova BBQ wings from the Pit. But you have to go to the La Novas on West Ferry. 

As for pizza, I've never gotten better pizza than at Imperial on Abbott. I'm infatuated with it. Someone mentioned the pepperoni and they weren't kidding.

I actually hate mentioning either of these restaurants as the best because I don't want to let too many people know. But in my opinion they are by far the best. I would drive 50 miles for either one. 

Skip Bar Bill, Duffs and Anchor Bar to avoid a substandard experience. I've never had Bocce pizza but have heard good things about it. 

Edited by sirebors

2 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

Is that margherita pepperoni?

I'm not sure what it's called. I've heard it referred to as cup and char.

2 hours ago, Augie said:

If you get to Schwabl’s, try the German potato salad. I expected great beef on weck, but had forgotten how good German potato salad could be!!! SO GOOD! 

Has the guide that (I think) @plenzmd1 created years ago been posted yet? That was a very nice compilation. 

The potato salad is very good. I remember wanting to eat it and not caring about the beef on weck.

Someone mentioned the Canadian side of the falls, just make sure the border is open first, though they may reopen this summer.

Preliminary talks on lifting Canada-U.S. border restrictions underway | CBC News

If you like history, there is the Teddy Roosevelt Inaugural Site to check out.

Theodore Roosevelt Inaugural Site

Welcome to the city of good neighbors! 

Beers ony neighbor , he has deep pockets and short term memory loss! 

If you want the zah there are almost no Chains here... All mom and pop and for the most part you can't go wrong... All use fresh mozzarella, homemade sauce, dough , daily , with only the finest Margherita pepperoni ..  most Buffalo pizzerias house sauce is on the sweet side

All of these pizzerias will also be serving chicken finger subs which you will not get made anywhere like they are in Buffalo

Teds charcoal red hots are serving up great charcoal dogs and onion rings for like 100 years .. and loganberry

Everybody's already mentioned anchor bar which is the home of the chicken wing.. duffs which pops out great wings.. bar bill the same

Danny's is known for the chicken wing soup

Downtown you got fat Bob's smokehouse

It's just the food City man you can go on any corner and find a mom and pop that's serving 

I think most people have given you attractions or sites and architecture or whatever you need

The park systems in Buffalo are some of the finest in the country designed by Frederick law Olmsted himself

Edited by Buffalo716

I think I’ve gained 5 lbs. just reading this thread.

C Guard, have a ball.  My family calls it when I and some of them come home Buffalo Belly, as you’ll feel it for days.  I’m glad the guys gave you some of the historic architecture to enjoy as people not from WNY don’t know there is a lot more than pizza, wings, and Canadian beer to enjoy.  I hope Canada is more open by then so you can see the falls from the Canadian side.  It’s so much better.  Just dress really warm as it feels at least 10 degrees colder than the weather in Buffalo due to the mist coming up from the falls from the watch station.  It’s cool as it’s usually all iced over where I’m referring so the beam lights hitting the falls reflects back to the area you are viewing it. We’re talking hat, gloves, scarf, heavy clothing etc..

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

I think I’ve gained 5 lbs. just reading this thread.

We joke about this, but weight gain from looking at or smelling desirable food may actually be possible due to cephalic-phase insulin release.

"Marc David, a consultant in nutritional psychology, states that people on diets often fantasize about the foods they can’t eat. Due to this, insulin production is increased, and since the people are not eating their forbidden foods, the insulin is then stored as fat. David calls this 'non-caloric weight gain', when your body is in a phase of cephalic insulin response and produces insulin when it is not needed."

Edited by Giuseppe Tognarelli