Jump to content

Bills interested in CB Steven Nelson


Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

He would give the team some depth where they lack it and a better option opposite White than Wallace, so yea, he could be the player that helps bring this team a SB.

 

 

I remember you saying the Bills lack elite talent after DIggs, Allen and White and that's why they couldn't get over the KC hump.  So now you are suggesting Nelson could be the piece that puts them over the top?  Funny stuff right there. 

  • Thank you (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, nedboy7 said:

 

I remember you saying the Bills lack elite talent after DIggs, Allen and White and that's why they couldn't get over the KC hump.  So now you are suggesting Nelson could be the piece that puts them over the top?  Funny stuff right there

Funny as it may be, he's better than anything we have currently at CB2. Hope I'm not upsetting the Levi Wallace fan boys. 😠  He may not be considered elite but he'd be a solid acquisition. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, nedboy7 said:

 

I remember you saying the Bills lack elite talent after DIggs, Allen and White and that's why they couldn't get over the KC hump.  So now you are suggesting Nelson could be the piece that puts them over the top?  Funny stuff right there. 

That doesn’t mean the ONLY way to get over the top is by adding elite talent.  It could be one of a handful of ways we can improve enough to become the best team in football.  Adding Nelson could certainly be a nice addition and help us win the super bowl.  We’re close as it stands.  Nelson can play man. Levi blows in man and needs too much help.  It’s been noted that we play a LOT of man on 3rd down.  3rd downs win football games. If Dane Jackson doesn’t turn into a solid man defender our CB unit is very limited in the play calling.  
 

The chiefs embarrassed this very CB group last year.  They embarrassed our coaching staff too.  I don’t think it’s ideal to return the same unit plus Wildgoose with hopes that we can suddenly stop the chiefs.  
 

adding a solid corner that is more efficient in man should’ve been on our offseason “to do list”

Edited by NewEra
  • Thank you (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, NewEra said:

That doesn’t mean the ONLY way to get over the top is by adding elite talent.  It could be one of a handful of ways we can improve enough to become the best team in football.  Adding Nelson could certainly be a nice addition and help us win the super bowl.  We’re close as it stands.  Nelson can play man. Levi blows in man and needs too much help.  It’s been noted that we play a LOT of man on 3rd down.  3rd downs win football games. If Dane Jackson doesn’t turn into a solid man defender our CB unit is very limited in the play calling.  
 

The chiefs embarrassed this very CB group last year.  They embarrassed our coaching staff too.  I don’t think it’s ideal to return the same unit plus Wildgoose with hopes that we can suddenly stop the chiefs.  
 

adding a solid corner that is more efficient in man should’ve been on our offseason “to do list”

 

 

The Bills seem to have taken the Milwaukee Bucks approach.........bring everyone back and hope that the teams that have seemingly significant matchup advantages suffer losses and that they themselves do not.    I'm not sure Nelson moves the needle significantly........he ain't hanging with Tyreek Hill if it comes down to that.     They really weren't positioned well to make a big leap personnel-wise.   That's not an excuse....... they were cap strapped because McBeane made some suspect financial decisions in recent offseasons that left them exposed at this key point in their development......but it's a reason.   

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

“Could be”, not very likely though, there are some who have said that he is barely any better than Wallace, hell Dane Jackson could be the guy, that’s why none of us run pro football teams.  He at best appears to be “slightly “ better than Wallace, and to expensive for that small margin, so he sits unemployed…

The season before last in Pitt. he graded out as the 6th best cb in the league. 

His defensive stats were elite. White and Gilmore were top 2 that year. 

                  cmp% qbrtg yds/trgt tds  

Nelson       50      65.8      6.6       0

Tre White   50     43.3      6.6       0

similar number of targets

The year before that his numbers were elite again for KC, as good as White's were. 

 

Last season his numbers were more average. qbrtg was 95, (Tre's went up to 80). 

If he has a year even close to his 2018 and 2019 seasons he could be a huge difference maker for the Bills, especially if there are injuries. If he is average like last year he still improves the overall talent and depth.

  The Bills are thin at the pos group and that could become a problem.  CB is not a position to be thin when you have all the ingredients in place for a championship. This year is the Bills best shot at a title since the SB run.

I'll be psyched if they sign him.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Turk71 said:

The season before last in Pitt. he graded out as the 6th best cb in the league. 

His defensive stats were elite. White and Gilmore were top 2 that year. 

                  cmp% qbrtg yds/trgt tds  

Nelson       50      65.8      6.6       0

Tre White   50     43.3      6.6       0

similar number of targets

The year before that his numbers were elite again for KC, as good as White's were. 

 

Last season his numbers were more average. qbrtg was 95, (Tre's went up to 80). 

If he has a year even close to his 2018 and 2019 seasons he could be a huge difference maker for the Bills, especially if there are injuries. If he is average like last year he still improves the overall talent and depth.

  The Bills are thin at the pos group and that could become a problem.  CB is not a position to be thin when you have all the ingredients in place for a championship. This year is the Bills best shot at a title since the SB run.

I'll be psyched if they sign him.

 

I here ya, but, This year is but a long string of real opportunities to win the SB, it’s not this year or never…

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, NewEra said:

That doesn’t mean the ONLY way to get over the top is by adding elite talent.  It could be one of a handful of ways we can improve enough to become the best team in football.  Adding Nelson could certainly be a nice addition and help us win the super bowl.  We’re close as it stands.  Nelson can play man. Levi blows in man and needs too much help.  It’s been noted that we play a LOT of man on 3rd down.  3rd downs win football games. If Dane Jackson doesn’t turn into a solid man defender our CB unit is very limited in the play calling.  
 

The chiefs embarrassed this very CB group last year.  They embarrassed our coaching staff too.  I don’t think it’s ideal to return the same unit plus Wildgoose with hopes that we can suddenly stop the chiefs.  
 

adding a solid corner that is more efficient in man should’ve been on our offseason “to do list”

Yea. They essentially did nothing to upgrade CB 2 opposite Tre…. Everyone’s high on Dane Jackson but the sample size is ridiculously low. Interested to see what the Bills do differently defensively when they play the Chiefs again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Yea. They essentially did nothing to upgrade CB 2 opposite Tre…. Everyone’s high on Dane Jackson but the sample size is ridiculously low. Interested to see what the Bills do differently defensively when they play the Chiefs again.

I’m more worried about CB/DB depth.  No room for an injury to one of our top 3 CBs or top 2 safeties.

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, NewEra said:

That doesn’t mean the ONLY way to get over the top is by adding elite talent.  It could be one of a handful of ways we can improve enough to become the best team in football.  Adding Nelson could certainly be a nice addition and help us win the super bowl.  We’re close as it stands.  Nelson can play man. Levi blows in man and needs too much help.  It’s been noted that we play a LOT of man on 3rd down.  3rd downs win football games. If Dane Jackson doesn’t turn into a solid man defender our CB unit is very limited in the play calling.  
 

The chiefs embarrassed this very CB group last year.  They embarrassed our coaching staff too.  I don’t think it’s ideal to return the same unit plus Wildgoose with hopes that we can suddenly stop the chiefs.  
 

adding a solid corner that is more efficient in man should’ve been on our offseason “to do list”

I don’t necessarily disagree but maybe a different game plan on defense could bring more success then just adding another piece to the CB room , 

we were playing scared and that was obvious maybe we need to attack Mahomes blitz him or what ever it takes to make him feel uncomfortable...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Putin said:

I don’t necessarily disagree but maybe a different game plan on defense could bring more success then just adding another piece to the CB room , 

we were playing scared and that was obvious maybe we need to attack Mahomes blitz him or what ever it takes to make him feel uncomfortable...

We blitzed him in the 2nd half and it was way even uglier.  The scheme was definitely a major problem in that game, but imo, part of the reason we called that game was because Levi is limited.  I could be completely off base, but I just don’t see Levi ever being effective in man and we run a good amount of man on the most important down.  3rd.  

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, NewEra said:

We blitzed him in the 2nd half and it was way even uglier.  The scheme was definitely a major problem in that game, but imo, part of the reason we called that game was because Levi is limited.  I could be completely off base, but I just don’t see Levi ever being effective in man and we run a good amount of man on the most important down.  3rd.  

You maybe right , and I was hoping we get a CB in the 1st or 2nd  round in this year’s draft, and to be honest I was a little disappointed that we didn’t , 

Maybe / Hopefully  with a better pass rush this year our backfield won’t look as bad as they did last year in AFC championship game , 

 

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

 

 

The Bills seem to have taken the Milwaukee Bucks approach.........bring everyone back and hope that the teams that have seemingly significant matchup advantages suffer losses and that they themselves do not.    I'm not sure Nelson moves the needle significantly........he ain't hanging with Tyreek Hill if it comes down to that.     They really weren't positioned well to make a big leap personnel-wise.   That's not an excuse....... they were cap strapped because McBeane made some suspect financial decisions in recent offseasons that left them exposed at this key point in their development......but it's a reason.   

Don't forget the decrease in the cap. Nobody could have foreseen that. If the cap would have increased instead, like it normally does, the Bills would have been in a good position to add a couple key contributors.

  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, NewEra said:

We blitzed him in the 2nd half and it was way even uglier.  The scheme was definitely a major problem in that game, but imo, part of the reason we called that game was because Levi is limited.  I could be completely off base, but I just don’t see Levi ever being effective in man and we run a good amount of man on the most important down.  3rd.  

DEs got swamped in that game as well, which was not helpful.

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MJS said:

Don't forget the decrease in the cap. Nobody could have foreseen that. If the cap would have increased instead, like it normally does, the Bills would have been in a good position to add a couple key contributors.

 

 

The cap decrease was the same for all teams.    The market adjusted for that and some relatively dynamic players went for deals that reflected that. 

 

The tight cap actually made it MUCH easier for Buffalo to retain players like Milano and Williams on long term deals that would have been well below market in a wide open $210M+ cap environment.

 

Their approach was more about retention.

 

Other teams did it differently.     Tennessee robbed Peter to pay Paul..........they let a young star WR and TE depart.........and replaced them with an dynamic but injury recovering pass rusher and great veteran WR.     Their approach was more "we know what we have isn't good enough".

 

I think TN is probably a year too late for their window..........but their approach was obviously different than what the Bills did.

 

We shall see if it works.

 

From the Bills perspective..........the Chiefs have been to 3 straight AFCCG's and 2 straight SB's...........playing that late into the season year after year takes a toll on the physical health of most teams..........maybe it works out that the Bills catch a Milwaukee-Bucks-like break and teams like KC and Tampa break down due to age/injury and the Bills get a good draw in the playoffs and end up playing the 6th seed at home in the AFCCG or something like that and they reach their SB and win it that way.     

  • Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

 

 

The Bills seem to have taken the Milwaukee Bucks approach.........bring everyone back and hope that the teams that have seemingly significant matchup advantages suffer losses and that they themselves do not.    I'm not sure Nelson moves the needle significantly........he ain't hanging with Tyreek Hill if it comes down to that.     They really weren't positioned well to make a big leap personnel-wise.   That's not an excuse....... they were cap strapped because McBeane made some suspect financial decisions in recent offseasons that left them exposed at this key point in their development......but it's a reason.   

 

This is a silly, silly take. 

 

The Bucks did not do this.

 

The Bills made moves aplenty and drafted 2 pass rushers. 

 

When you get within 1 game of the championship you dont reinvent the team. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...