Bills interested in CB Steven Nelson

5 hours ago, nedboy7 said:

I remember you saying the Bills lack elite talent after DIggs, Allen and White and that's why they couldn't get over the KC hump.  So now you are suggesting Nelson could be the piece that puts them over the top?  Funny stuff right there. 

That doesn’t mean the ONLY way to get over the top is by adding elite talent.  It could be one of a handful of ways we can improve enough to become the best team in football.  Adding Nelson could certainly be a nice addition and help us win the super bowl.  We’re close as it stands.  Nelson can play man. Levi blows in man and needs too much help.  It’s been noted that we play a LOT of man on 3rd down.  3rd downs win football games. If Dane Jackson doesn’t turn into a solid man defender our CB unit is very limited in the play calling.  

The chiefs embarrassed this very CB group last year.  They embarrassed our coaching staff too.  I don’t think it’s ideal to return the same unit plus Wildgoose with hopes that we can suddenly stop the chiefs.  

adding a solid corner that is more efficient in man should’ve been on our offseason “to do list”

Edited by NewEra
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, NewEra said:

That doesn’t mean the ONLY way to get over the top is by adding elite talent.  It could be one of a handful of ways we can improve enough to become the best team in football.  Adding Nelson could certainly be a nice addition and help us win the super bowl.  We’re close as it stands.  Nelson can play man. Levi blows in man and needs too much help.  It’s been noted that we play a LOT of man on 3rd down.  3rd downs win football games. If Dane Jackson doesn’t turn into a solid man defender our CB unit is very limited in the play calling.  

The chiefs embarrassed this very CB group last year.  They embarrassed our coaching staff too.  I don’t think it’s ideal to return the same unit plus Wildgoose with hopes that we can suddenly stop the chiefs.  

adding a solid corner that is more efficient in man should’ve been on our offseason “to do list”

The Bills seem to have taken the Milwaukee Bucks approach.........bring everyone back and hope that the teams that have seemingly significant matchup advantages suffer losses and that they themselves do not.    I'm not sure Nelson moves the needle significantly........he ain't hanging with Tyreek Hill if it comes down to that.     They really weren't positioned well to make a big leap personnel-wise.   That's not an excuse....... they were cap strapped because McBeane made some suspect financial decisions in recent offseasons that left them exposed at this key point in their development......but it's a reason.   

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

“Could be”, not very likely though, there are some who have said that he is barely any better than Wallace, hell Dane Jackson could be the guy, that’s why none of us run pro football teams.  He at best appears to be “slightly “ better than Wallace, and to expensive for that small margin, so he sits unemployed…

The season before last in Pitt. he graded out as the 6th best cb in the league. 

His defensive stats were elite. White and Gilmore were top 2 that year. 

cmp% qbrtg yds/trgt tds  

Nelson       50      65.8      6.6       0

Tre White   50     43.3      6.6       0

similar number of targets

The year before that his numbers were elite again for KC, as good as White's were. 

Last season his numbers were more average. qbrtg was 95, (Tre's went up to 80). 

If he has a year even close to his 2018 and 2019 seasons he could be a huge difference maker for the Bills, especially if there are injuries. If he is average like last year he still improves the overall talent and depth.

The Bills are thin at the pos group and that could become a problem.  CB is not a position to be thin when you have all the ingredients in place for a championship. This year is the Bills best shot at a title since the SB run.

I'll be psyched if they sign him.

5 hours ago, Turk71 said:

The season before last in Pitt. he graded out as the 6th best cb in the league. 

His defensive stats were elite. White and Gilmore were top 2 that year. 

cmp% qbrtg yds/trgt tds  

Nelson       50      65.8      6.6       0

Tre White   50     43.3      6.6       0

similar number of targets

The year before that his numbers were elite again for KC, as good as White's were. 

Last season his numbers were more average. qbrtg was 95, (Tre's went up to 80). 

If he has a year even close to his 2018 and 2019 seasons he could be a huge difference maker for the Bills, especially if there are injuries. If he is average like last year he still improves the overall talent and depth.

The Bills are thin at the pos group and that could become a problem.  CB is not a position to be thin when you have all the ingredients in place for a championship. This year is the Bills best shot at a title since the SB run.

I'll be psyched if they sign him.

I here ya, but, This year is but a long string of real opportunities to win the SB, it’s not this year or never…

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

24 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Yea. They essentially did nothing to upgrade CB 2 opposite Tre…. Everyone’s high on Dane Jackson but the sample size is ridiculously low. Interested to see what the Bills do differently defensively when they play the Chiefs again.

I’m more worried about CB/DB depth.  No room for an injury to one of our top 3 CBs or top 2 safeties.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, NewEra said:

I don’t necessarily disagree but maybe a different game plan on defense could bring more success then just adding another piece to the CB room , 

we were playing scared and that was obvious maybe we need to attack Mahomes blitz him or what ever it takes to make him feel uncomfortable...

1 minute ago, Putin said:

I don’t necessarily disagree but maybe a different game plan on defense could bring more success then just adding another piece to the CB room , 

we were playing scared and that was obvious maybe we need to attack Mahomes blitz him or what ever it takes to make him feel uncomfortable...

We blitzed him in the 2nd half and it was way even uglier.  The scheme was definitely a major problem in that game, but imo, part of the reason we called that game was because Levi is limited.  I could be completely off base, but I just don’t see Levi ever being effective in man and we run a good amount of man on the most important down.  3rd.  

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, NewEra said:

We blitzed him in the 2nd half and it was way even uglier.  The scheme was definitely a major problem in that game, but imo, part of the reason we called that game was because Levi is limited.  I could be completely off base, but I just don’t see Levi ever being effective in man and we run a good amount of man on the most important down.  3rd.  

You maybe right , and I was hoping we get a CB in the 1st or 2nd  round in this year’s draft, and to be honest I was a little disappointed that we didn’t , 

Maybe / Hopefully  with a better pass rush this year our backfield won’t look as bad as they did last year in AFC championship game , 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The Bills seem to have taken the Milwaukee Bucks approach.........bring everyone back and hope that the teams that have seemingly significant matchup advantages suffer losses and that they themselves do not.    I'm not sure Nelson moves the needle significantly........he ain't hanging with Tyreek Hill if it comes down to that.     They really weren't positioned well to make a big leap personnel-wise.   That's not an excuse....... they were cap strapped because McBeane made some suspect financial decisions in recent offseasons that left them exposed at this key point in their development......but it's a reason.   

Don't forget the decrease in the cap. Nobody could have foreseen that. If the cap would have increased instead, like it normally does, the Bills would have been in a good position to add a couple key contributors.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, NewEra said:

DEs got swamped in that game as well, which was not helpful.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, MJS said:

Don't forget the decrease in the cap. Nobody could have foreseen that. If the cap would have increased instead, like it normally does, the Bills would have been in a good position to add a couple key contributors.

The cap decrease was the same for all teams.    The market adjusted for that and some relatively dynamic players went for deals that reflected that. 

The tight cap actually made it MUCH easier for Buffalo to retain players like Milano and Williams on long term deals that would have been well below market in a wide open $210M+ cap environment.

Their approach was more about retention.

Other teams did it differently.     Tennessee robbed Peter to pay Paul..........they let a young star WR and TE depart.........and replaced them with an dynamic but injury recovering pass rusher and great veteran WR.     Their approach was more "we know what we have isn't good enough".

I think TN is probably a year too late for their window..........but their approach was obviously different than what the Bills did.

We shall see if it works.

From the Bills perspective..........the Chiefs have been to 3 straight AFCCG's and 2 straight SB's...........playing that late into the season year after year takes a toll on the physical health of most teams..........maybe it works out that the Bills catch a Milwaukee-Bucks-like break and teams like KC and Tampa break down due to age/injury and the Bills get a good draw in the playoffs and end up playing the 6th seed at home in the AFCCG or something like that and they reach their SB and win it that way.     

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1

16 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

This is a silly, silly take. 

The Bucks did not do this.

The Bills made moves aplenty and drafted 2 pass rushers. 

When you get within 1 game of the championship you dont reinvent the team. 

13 minutes ago, RichRiderBills said:

This is a silly, silly take. 

The Bucks did not do this.

The Bills made moves aplenty and drafted 2 pass rushers. 

When you get within 1 game of the championship you dont reinvent the team. 

The only high profile player the Bills brought in was 34 year old Emmanuel Sanders (to replace a guy they cut who had put up 1,000+ yards in 2019).

I like some of the other,  cheaper "flyers" they took in free agency...........but they weren't aggressive in acquiring dynamic new talent and they drafted at the back end of each round.    Everybody drafts, guy.

You could argue that the Bucks were more aggressive in their approach............they swapped out two *good* guards and some first round picks for a *better* guard in Jru Holiday..........but he didn't play up to the level he had at NOLA.......and that didn't tip the scales for them this season.

Injuries in BOTH conferences........A TON of them........really cleared their path to victory.    The 2021 Bucks might have been the dumbest NBA team to ever win a title LOL.   But the playoffs laid out beautifully for them and they ended up knocking off a 5th seed in the conference finals and played a first time playoff team in the league finals.    It came together perfectly for them.    

If the Bills win a SB in a "down" season for the NFL.........it still counts.    Ben Roethlisberger won his first SB in a poorly played game against a less than epic opponent.   Peyton Manning got his first against Rex Grossman.    It can happen.   Hopefully the Bills have a bunch of breakout players this season and can change the narrative that they haven't improved the roster but on paper they have done little to nothing to bridge the gap with KC.    

• Agree 2

9 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

I’m more worried about CB/DB depth.  No room for an injury to one of our top 3 CBs or top 2 safeties.

I hear ya, but injuries to the top two or three guys at any position is bad news, not just for the Bills, but any team, and in any sport, just sayin, 

Go Bills!!!

You also have to consider that Beane knew that cap would expand next few years, and that while running it back isn't optimal, may have been better than reaching for bad contracts under tight circumstances. Running it back means you have a lot more flexibility going forwasrd. The Bills' window is more like 5 years, rather than 2 years, and I'm guessing that's what Beane is planning for.

On 7/21/2021 at 12:13 PM, Don Otreply said:

Beane knows which end is up, and has been involved in acquiring Nelson for some time now, it is Nelson where the problem lies, it is not Beane who has not shown interest, that and consider this, is Nelson the player who puts us over the top? Answer = Not likely.

Go Bills!!!

Until Beane brings in a quality upgrade in the 3 areas of weakness, his offseason is OK, nothing more. DB, TE, D tackle is pedestrian. No one cares who the problem is.Beane is competent and he's got capspace. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 2