No starters from the draft? Not exactly true.

The team doesn’t really need immediate starters.  I think it was a great draft that will pay off in the short term with rotational value and depth in the short term and starters in the long term.  I’m stunned to see so many people down on this class.

• Like (+1) 4

39 minutes ago, Billl said:

The team doesn’t really need immediate starters.  I think it was a great draft that will pay off in the short term with rotational value and depth in the short term and starters in the long term.  I’m stunned to see so many people down on this class.

I wouldn't be stunned - people like sexy names at the top of the draft and at premium positions.  I'm sure the fanbase got all fired up about our great draft when we traded up for Sammy Watkins.  Or how about when we picked CJ Spiller, Marshawn Lynch, and Willis McGahee?  Or when we won the offseason when we traded for Lesean McCoy?  

No thanks, I'll take this draft any day of the week

9 minutes ago, mushypeaches said:

I wouldn't be stunned - people like sexy names at the top of the draft and at premium positions.  I'm sure the fanbase got all fired up about our great draft when we traded up for Sammy Watkins.  Or how about when we picked CJ Spiller, Marshawn Lynch, and Willis McGahee?  Or when we won the offseason when we traded for Lesean McCoy?  

If you’re choosing from a pool of sexy names, you’re probably not having much on field success.  When you’re drafting at the end of the round, the potential day 1 starters are generally limited to less impactful positions like RB, G, LB, etc.  I don’t agree with all of Beane’s decisions, but I understand them.

There will be games where the score will dictate pulling vets and giving the kids playtime. Don't over think it, simple, these players were drafted for good reason, now shine and it'll be your time

• Like (+1) 1

Rousseau and Basham will get significant snaps from the start and one of them will take Addison’s starting spot before the season is over. Also Epenesa is going to be there too. With how many people they rotate through the D Line I’m sure the snap count by the end of the year won’t be crazy different, regardless of who’s starting.

Its kind of funny. I had this debate back in the day when the Bills were bad to average. Bills would have like 5 starters from a draft and folks on the message board would use that to say how great of shape the team was, the good job the GM was doing etc. My argument then which is the same now - just because your starting a guy does not mean he is good and future star. Sometimes its a sign that your team is bad and he is bad, just not as bad. Just like now, drafts picks may not start but does not mean they were bad picks. Just a higher level of player ahead of them. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, BillsFan130 said:

He's pretty raw though.

Maybe at the end of the year if all things go really well, but Even then I think that's a bit optimistic.

I think he will have the espenasa role from last year

Not apples to apples comparison.   Epenesa had to shed 20lbs from his playing weight and still play the same position.   That is tough on a rookie.  The Bills are patient with him and will be rewarded this year.

I would be dissapointed if Rousseau cant take the job from Addison early on.  I think by the end of camp he is LE.  Basham replaces Johnson is the rotation.  Johnson has not developed into anything more than a special teams player.  I think Beane closes the book on de special teamers.  

1 hour ago, ganesh said:

Not apples to apples comparison.   Epenesa had to shed 20lbs from his playing weight and still play the same position.   That is tough on a rookie.  The Bills are patient with him and will be rewarded this year.

I know it's not as I was not comparing the players and their skill sets/differences,

I just think Rousseau will be part of the rotation kind of like Espenasa last year- I think that because he is raw and needs time to develop, not because he is a comparable to Espenasa.

5 hours ago, mushypeaches said:

I liked Marshawn though haha

We have absurd depth at DE right now with Hughes, Addison, Epenesa, Rousseau, Basham, and Obada. If we go into the year with these guys I don't see how any of them get over 50% of the snaps. We tend to heavily rotate our defensive ends and I see us getting 10 more sacks this season just because the depth will allow us to keep them fresh. 

16 hours ago, TC in St. Louis said:

I hear a lot about how the Bills are building for the future, and that nobody from this year will start.  I agree with the first half of that.  However, I do believe that you'll see Rousseau and Basham on the field as part of the rotation.  They're super talented athletes that excelled playing college football.  They'll play.  They're about 10 years younger than Addison and Hughes.  I also thought that Epenesa had some pretty good plays last year, and expect them to find his correct weight and put him in quite a bit.  

I believe that Stevenson will be our kick returner.  However, in college he was a punt catcher like Chris Watson.  He had four punt catches for zero yards. 

I heard some dude on a podcast criticizing the Bills for taking Brown and Doyle because they played for smaller schools.  In the next breath he suggested they should have taken Meinerz.....from a Division III school....and he didn't play at all last year.  Look at their tape.  Doesn't matter where they played.  They knocked guys on their butt.  That's what good linemen do.  They are great athletes.

I wanted them to draft Wildgoose because 1) Love the name.  2)  Badgers fan.  

I also believe that the kid from Pitt will play a lot.

What do I know?  Not much more or less than anybody on this board.  Still a fan of Rondale Moore.  

I don't see starts for those two pass rushers, barring injury. But yeah, they should be part of the rotation unless something goes very wrong.

I think you're right about Stevenson maybe returning kicks. 

7 hours ago, mushypeaches said:

Good way to frame this.

Many were down on the trade for Watkins. I was. Very few weren't still excited to see him ripping up defenses in a Bills jersey. I certainly was. Hated the trade, loved the player. Then the games happened.

Edited by Thurman#1

4 hours ago, Mat68 said:

I would be dissapointed if Rousseau cant take the job from Addison early on.  I think by the end of camp he is LE.  Basham replaces Johnson is the rotation.  Johnson has not developed into anything more than a special teams player.  I think Beane closes the book on de special teamers.  

Very unlikely that early.

Milano was killing Humber in his rookie year's camp. Humber started. They like guys with experience in the system to start. Anything's possible, but the way to bet is that the best case scenario for Rousseau is taking the job halfway though the year and most likely scenario is that he doesn't start this year at all.

You'll be disappointed? Fair enough, but get ready to be disappointed.

I don’t know about no starters.  Basham should rotate, the returner should play if he beats out McKenzie, you never know on the CB and S, and sure the O Linemen are most likely depth.

Beane was smart.  He’s admitted to using FA to fill in the roster, and late round picks he’s been on record for depth, but early picks he’s even more resolute for the BPA.  Works for me.

I don't watch college ball.  My knowledge of prospective draft picks is limited to what I read before the draft including the good stuff provided here by people like GunnerBill.  

So I don't have a strong opinion about the specific players.  I was however happy to see we addressed the lines.  There's still some truth to the old adage that games are won and lost in the trenches - even in today's passing NFL.  A good OL makes a QB much more effective and keeps him alive & healthy.  A good DL can make an opposing QB ineffective.  

At this point, I've concluded that Beane isn't Matt Millen.  Beaner and his scouting staff are good at their jobs and know far, far, far more about college prospects than I do.  So I'm optimistic and looking forward to seeing what our new Bills can do.

Though, as a Purdue alum, I was disappointed we didn't end up with Rondale Moore.  That kid is a rocket.

Edited by hondo in seattle

19 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Dean Marlowe had 4 starts and 2 interceptions with 22% of snaps on defense and 48% of snaps on special teams.  

Very significant impact which will not be replaced with a rookie.

I think like Zo Bills will need to replace with multiple players and hopefully more successfully.

I’ll just add here that Hamlin is a very “mature” rookie — played five seasons in college in a P5 conference.  Also was projected to be drafted much earlier; not sure what happened there.  I think he has a great shot to see significant time.

11 hours ago, ngbills said:

Its kind of funny. I had this debate back in the day when the Bills were bad to average. Bills would have like 5 starters from a draft and folks on the message board would use that to say how great of shape the team was, the good job the GM was doing etc. My argument then which is the same now - just because your starting a guy does not mean he is good and future star. Sometimes its a sign that your team is bad and he is bad, just not as bad. Just like now, drafts picks may not start but does not mean they were bad picks. Just a higher level of player ahead of them. 

Zay Jones comes to mind