Jump to content

RD 2, Pick 29 (61): Boogie Basham, DE (Wake Forest)


Draft pick approval  

525 members have voted

  1. 1. Do you approve of this pick?



Recommended Posts

18 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I think in Rousseau they took the higher ceiling and in Basham they took the higher floor. I won't be surprised if Basham contributes more his rookie season while Rousseau develops some pass rush moves.

I do think Rousseau can still contribute this season on passing downs from inside while he is perfecting those moves against tackles. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, DJB said:

Beane when he sees an edge guy available and he's on the clock

 

 

giphy.gif

One of my favorite gifs

 

Well done!

11 hours ago, klos63 said:

Because Hughes, Addison and Star likely gone after this coming season.

Addison is certainly gone, I still think Jerry may stick around for a year or 2 on a cheaper deal with a voidable cut year on the back side. 

Edited by Reed83HOF
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Big Turk said:

 

That would remind me of Lawson...we could definitely use a guy like that...edge setter against the run and able to get the odd sack here and there

Way more athletic than Shaq.

 

after watching his YouTube clip, I’m not sure why folks want him inside. Guy is just the kind of athletic freak you want on the edge. 
 

Both guys could start

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Only reason that worked in the super bowl is because both KC LTs were down. Against teams with good pass rushes when kc’s LTs were healthy, the line was basically fine.

For some reason, I feel like everyone overlooks this very point...

  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

When the NY Giants defeated NE in the Superbowl, they ran what they called a NASCAR defense. Basically, they put 4 DEs on the line and got after Brady that way. Wondering if McD has something similar in mind.

  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I think in Rousseau they took the higher ceiling and in Basham they took the higher floor. I won't be surprised if Basham contributes more his rookie season while Rousseau develops some pass rush moves.

Basham looks ready to play. Just his style or game seems to translate quickly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Agent 91 said:

Must not have noticed they had Lavonte David Shaq Barrett and Devin White. Because we have zero of that  at this point 

 

I'm sure he noticed.  He also noticed our tight cap and the big dollars "similar" players were getting in FA.

 

4 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

Isn’t that what you’ll get if SDS cuts you from being a Mod?

 

My eyes are opened now.  Where has that salary been going the past 3 years?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

At first I was like WHAT?? Double Dip... But now I am thinking we have a hard time covering Kelce. Maybe instead of trying to cover him, try and force KC to keep him on the line to help block? Same with the bucs and possibly 2 TE sets from NE? Still think we need a DT1 somewhere in this draft... Now I am thinking,  this could be quite a fun Dline to watch...🤗. Plus with the extra game this year, I wonder if our D just got worn down at the end of last season...

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

For some reason, I feel like everyone overlooks this very point...

I don’t think it’s overlooked as much as it’s obvious the Bills need to get the QB more regardless of why the chiefs struggled to protect mahomes. Mahomes threw 56 times vs the Bills in two games last year and the Bills sacked him once. He wasn’t under pressure. You can’t blitz him. You need to get to him with 4. It’s not just the Bucs. The Chargers and Miami showed they could do it too. As Beane said too it’s not just mahomes. Every team we play is going to be trying to throw it all over to score a lot of points knowing they need to keep up, need to counter that. Plus Hughes and Addison are gone next year and we starters ready to step in knowing the scheme and with seasoning. I think Addison could be gone after TC if everyone is healthy tbh. Watching him try to contain was painful. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I don’t think it’s overlooked as much as it’s obvious the Bills need to get the QB more regardless of why the chiefs struggled to protect mahomes. Mahomes threw 56 times vs the Bills in two games last year and the Bills sacked him once. He wasn’t under pressure. You can’t blitz him. You need to get to him with 4. It’s not just the Bucs. The Chargers and Miami showed they could do it too. As Beane said too it’s not just mahomes. Every team we play is going to be trying to throw it all over to score a lot of points knowing they need to keep up, need to counter that. Plus Hughes and Addison are gone next year and we starters ready to step in knowing the scheme and with seasoning. I think Addison could be gone after TC if everyone is healthy tbh. Watching him try to contain was painful. 

First, I don't think the Bills spend as much time thinking about how to beat the Chiefs as the fans do.  McBeane think about having the best football team, period.   However, in this case, what the Bills lacked against the Chiefs was one of McDermott's defensive fundamentals:  pressure the QB with four guys.  So, in going after these pass rushers, Beane's keeping his HC happy AND he's preparing for Mahomes. 

 

I haven't read the thread, so I don't know all that's been said.  I'll try to catch up.  First thing I did this morning is watch Beane's presser from last night, and two things stuck out.   One is what we already know - Beane is absolutely about best player available.   Absolutely.  The press keeps asking these need-based questions, and Beane keeps saying we take the best player.  The other thing really speaks to how good they think Basham is.  The Bills had a trade finalized to move back.  They were going to pick up a second third round pick and some other picks, apparently.  With three picks to go, the trade was finalized, but Beane told the other team if his guy was there, the trade was off.  Basham was his guy.  Think about that - he turned down a trade he liked to take a player at a position where he no longer had, strictly speaking, a need.  

 

Lastly, as someone said, the Giants beat the Patriots with a lot of pass rushers all in the lineup, and for two days now we've heard Beane talk about Rousseau and Basham moving inside.  I think McDermott's creative juices are flowing.  

  • Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

First, I don't think the Bills spend as much time thinking about how to beat the Chiefs as the fans do.  McBeane think about having the best football team, period.   However, in this case, what the Bills lacked against the Chiefs was one of McDermott's defensive fundamentals:  pressure the QB with four guys.  So, in going after these pass rushers, Beane's keeping his HC happy AND he's preparing for Mahomes. 

 

I haven't read the thread, so I don't know all that's been said.  I'll try to catch up.  First thing I did this morning is watch Beane's presser from last night, and two things stuck out.   One is what we already know - Beane is absolutely about best player available.   Absolutely.  The press keeps asking these need-based questions, and Beane keeps saying we take the best player.  The other thing really speaks to how good they think Basham is.  The Bills had a trade finalized to move back.  They were going to pick up a second third round pick and some other picks, apparently.  With three picks to go, the trade was finalized, but Beane told the other team if his guy was there, the trade was off.  Basham was his guy.  Think about that - he turned down a trade he liked to take a player at a position where he no longer had, strictly speaking, a need.  

 

Lastly, as someone said, the Giants beat the Patriots with a lot of pass rushers all in the lineup, and for two days now we've heard Beane talk about Rousseau and Basham moving inside.  I think McDermott's creative juices are flowing.  

Interesting. Where did you hear that out of curiosity?

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Way more athletic than Shaq.

 

after watching his YouTube clip, I’m not sure why folks want him inside. Guy is just the kind of athletic freak you want on the edge. 
 

Both guys could start


A lot of us wanted Carl Lawson in FA... this guy gives me those vibes.  

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

I heard it spoken of on this board yesterday iirc

Ya I just found a few sources on Bruce Nolan's twitter account saying the same thing. Interesting.

 

 

Edited by BillsFan130
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

They just asked Matt Miller on espn which day 2 pick liked the most. He said Kyle trask to Florida and boogie basham to Bills. He said the bills are “building a wall” with that DL and it was great value and identification of a need

1 minute ago, BillsFan130 said:

Ya I just found a few sources on Bruce Nolan's twitter account saying the same thing. Interesting.

 

 

I thought about that too. Not only did Beane double down on the same position but turned down an opportunity for an extra pick. They must have had him that high on their board that the could not pass up the value and player.

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

I thought about that too. Not only did Beane double down on the same position but turned down an opportunity for an extra pick. They must have had him that high on their board that the could not pass up the value and player.

Ya crazy. They must have really liked Basham to turn away I believe it was a 3rd round pick that was reported.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Reed83HOF said:

For some reason, I feel like everyone overlooks this very point...


This is true.   I guess we could say the only reason KC shut down our passing game is because every single one of our WR’s were playing hurt...

 

But I do think there’s some “there” there on both accounts. 
 

There’s no guarantee KC’s line, with a bunch of new pieces, is great in pass pro.  
 

There’s a reason why we replaced Brown with Sanders and Beane has mentioned we need to be able to run the ball better.  

 

Regardless of KC, we needed a younger, more freakish pass rush.   If for nothing else to welcome all the new QBs in our division.  
 

We still want to win the AFCE year in/year out.   If Miami is the biggest threat, don’t let Tua get comfortable on drop backs and have giants to knock down quick crossers to Waddle.  

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

They just asked Matt Miller on espn which day 2 pick liked the most. He said Kyle trask to Florida and boogie basham to Bills. He said the bills are “building a wall” with that DL and it was great value and identification of a need

I thought about that too. Not only did Beane double down on the same position but turned down an opportunity for an extra pick. They must have had him that high on their board that the could not pass up the value and player.

It’s almost the only thing that makes sense, almost like what he suggested in picking Fromm last year, just couldn’t pass it up.

 

Is it possible they Rousseau plays one end and  basham plays the other? 

  • Thank you (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • SDS unpinned this topic

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...