All mocked out? How about a really OLD one?

cage

As I'm tired of looking at all these, I thought I'd reach back to see how publications did on a really old 2021 mock.  Here are two that were published in May 2020, just a week or so after last year's draft.

Bleacher Report:  they got about 13 of 32 players picked that have been commonly mocked to 1st round now.  Three big misses in the top 10; Justyn Ross, Samuel Cosmi and Marvin Wilson.  As they get into back half, they have some players that now commonly dropping to 2nd round.  They mostly get the teams in the right general area.  Biggest misses came on Cowboys and 49ers on back end.  

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2892176-nfl-mock-draft-2021-breaking-down-best-fits-for-jamarr-chase-top-prospects

CBS Sports:  this one's not quite as close.  They have several misses in top-15.  They have three QBs in the first round that have disappeared; KJ Costello, Tanner Morgan and Jamie Newman.  They miss Zach Wilson and Mac Jones on their list.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2021-nfl-mock-draft-steelers-lions-take-qbs-as-six-go-in-round-1-patrick-surtain-ii-off-board-early/

Edited by cage
  • Like (+1) 3

It's funny now to see how many of those guys have no chance of being taken in the 1st Round. Interestingly, CBS Sports has Stokes going to the Bills. Whether you like that or hate it, it's still a possibility.

Edited by ExWNYer

21 minutes ago, ExWNYer said:

It's funny now to see how many of those guys have no chance of being taken in the 1st Round. Interestingly, CBS Sports has Stokes going to the Bills. Whether you like that or hate it, it's still a possibility.

And B/R has Eichenberg, which while I think its probably unlikely now before Williams signed his deal I think was a very strong possibility. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, cage said:

As I'm tired of looking at all these, I thought I'd reach back to see how publications did on a really old 2021 mock.  Here are two that were published in May 2020, just a week or so after last year's draft.

Bleacher Report:  they got about 13 of 32 players picked that have been commonly mocked to 1st round now.  Three big misses in the top 10; Justyn Ross, Samuel Cosmi and Marvin Wilson.  As they get into back half, they have some players that now commonly dropping to 2nd round.  They mostly get the teams in the right general area.  Biggest misses came on Cowboys and 49ers on back end.  

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2892176-nfl-mock-draft-2021-breaking-down-best-fits-for-jamarr-chase-top-prospects

CBS Sports:  this one's not quite as close.  They have several misses in top-15.  They have three QBs in the first round that have disappeared; KJ Costello, Tanner Morgan and Jamie Newman.  They miss Zach Wilson and Mac Jones on their list.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2021-nfl-mock-draft-steelers-lions-take-qbs-as-six-go-in-round-1-patrick-surtain-ii-off-board-early/

They had the Eagles picking 28th in the CBS draft lol honestly they did pretty good with both of them, although I think with covid this was an easier year to do that considering how little college ball there was. Fun idea though, thanks for posting

One of the things I found interesting is although the two mocks have a lot of differences, they both show Gregory Rosseau as top 5.  By sitting out 2020, he's dropped to the point where he could be on the board when Bills pick.  It will be interesting to see where he goes as his drop is entirely due to sitting out.  Plenty of mocks have shown him available at #30

Edited by cage
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, cage said:

One of the things I found interesting is although the two mocks have a lot of differences, they both show Gregory Rosseau as top 5.  By sitting out 2020, he's dropped to the point where he could be on the board when Bills pick.  It will be interesting to see where he goes as his drop is entirely due to sitting out.  Plenty of mocks have shown him available at #30

value pick!

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, cage said:

Justyn Ross was a GREAT prospect.    Serious injuries really took him out.   Hopefully he can return to playing.

• Agree 1

With the upheaval in college football this year, this is going to be a draft that rewards a solid front office more than most. If you could get information and have quality people to sift through it you will get the guys that slip for no good reason and I think there will be a lot of jostling around in the mid rounds as teams move up to get guys who have dropped. I know there is usually some, but I really think you will see more. There will be teams who aren't confident in what they have who will be looking to move out of spots and teams with great conviction about players looking to move up for them.

We will see.

• Agree 1

55 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

With the upheaval in college football this year, this is going to be a draft that rewards a solid front office more than most. If you could get information and have quality people to sift through it you will get the guys that slip for no good reason and I think there will be a lot of jostling around in the mid rounds as teams move up to get guys who have dropped. I know there is usually some, but I really think you will see more. There will be teams who aren't confident in what they have who will be looking to move out of spots and teams with great conviction about players looking to move up for them.

We will see.

agreed. we gotta be patient like any draft, but i think especially this year, we should be able to pull one of the top 5 draft classes of any team.  i think thats a pretty fair expectation out of us, regardless of picking @ 30.  lets see beane show us what a man looks like amongst boys!

On 4/28/2021 at 9:52 AM, cage said:

I'll get real stupid and carried away with myself now and predict that Rosseau is Beane's target for round 1

Well done, sir. Well done, indeed. 

• Thank you (+1) 1