Jump to content

Bucky Brooks Suggests Ravens Should Pick Fields


Recommended Posts

Per PFT:

 

"They [could] take a collegiate approach to the quarterback position,” Brooks said on NFL Network’s Path to the Draft. “They cash in on a Justin Fields. And then maybe they operate like a college team. One quarterback graduates, the other quarterback steps into the starter’s role. You now have the opportunity to keep a starting quarterback potentially on a young deal, build up the rest of the assets, and then play smash mouth football the way that they play, and continue to build a better team around the quarterback. It’s something to think about."

 

That's actually kind of brilliant and it's super-creative.  Why not maximize your salary cap space by going another 4 years with a QB on a rookie deal?  Their roster is set up to win without elite QB play, and if they think Jackson has hit his ceiling as a passer, it's not crazy.  I'm sure they won't do it but I love outside-the-box ideas like this one.

  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Per PFT:

 

"They [could] take a collegiate approach to the quarterback position,” Brooks said on NFL Network’s Path to the Draft. “They cash in on a Justin Fields. And then maybe they operate like a college team. One quarterback graduates, the other quarterback steps into the starter’s role. You now have the opportunity to keep a starting quarterback potentially on a young deal, build up the rest of the assets, and then play smash mouth football the way that they play, and continue to build a better team around the quarterback. It’s something to think about."

 

That's actually kind of brilliant and it's super-creative.  Why not maximize your salary cap space by going another 4 years with a QB on a rookie deal?  Their roster is set up to win without elite QB play, and if they think Jackson has hit his ceiling as a passer, it's not crazy.  I'm sure they won't do it but I love outside-the-box ideas like this one.

 

And Fields is a seriously underrated athlete. He isn't Lamar but they could still run some of their offense.

  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well, unless LJ has taken the necessary steps to be a markedly better passer, doing what Brooks said can be as viable plan. 
 

What’s the under over LJ has spent this off season working on being a more complete QB, and actually gaining those skills...?

Edited by Don Otreply
Link to comment
Share on other sites

As someone who has watched Fields play a lot the one thing he's missing compared to Jackson is that he takes some huge hits.  It's freaky how rarely Jackson ever takes a decent hit.  I seriously doubt Fields would last a season running the Ravens offense.

 

 

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

 

 

That's actually kind of brilliant and it's super-creative.  Why not maximize your salary cap space by going another 4 years with a QB on a rookie deal? 

 

 

This general idea has been floating around for a few years and the obvious flaw is that very few QB prospects have been sure things, historically speaking.  

 

Opinions on whether Lamar is a "franchise QB" aside - if the Ravens see him as one then they will pay him because a QB in the hand is worth five in the draft, and realistically you can only get one.


As it stands Lamar is a better athlete than Fields and hasn't made it past the divisional round - why would the Ravens think Fields could get them more?

Edited by LeviF91
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, LeviF91 said:

 

 

This general idea has been floating around for a few years and the obvious flaw is that very few QB prospects have been sure things, historically speaking.  

 

Opinions on whether Lamar is a "franchise QB" aside - if the Ravens see him as one then they will pay him because a QB in the hand is worth five in the draft, and realistically you can only get one.


As it stands Lamar is a better athlete than Fields and hasn't made it past the divisional round - why would the Ravens think Fields could get them more?

 

It's an asset allocation issue.  Are they gonna give Lamar a $150M contract if he's already hit his ceiling?  They might be able to get the same baseline production out of a guy like Fields at a fraction of the cost, allowing them to stock up in other areas. 

  • Like (+1) 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

What have they added this offseason? An OG and Sammy Watkins To me it's telling they haven't gone after other WRs etc. 

 

They were in on Golladay too. Obviously he ended up elsewhere. I do think they will go WR with one of their two 1sts though. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

 

It's an asset allocation issue.  Are they gonna give Lamar a $150M contract if he's already hit his ceiling?  They might be able to get the same baseline production out of a guy like Fields at a fraction of the cost, allowing them to stock up in other areas. 

I don't think there's really any chance whatsoever that Fields can do what Lamar does as a runner. Fields is a significantly better passer though.

 

At any rate, they already found an MVP caliber QB; I can't imagine they'll move on from him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, LeviF91 said:

 

 

This general idea has been floating around for a few years and the obvious flaw is that very few QB prospects have been sure things, historically speaking.  

 

Opinions on whether Lamar is a "franchise QB" aside - if the Ravens see him as one then they will pay him because a QB in the hand is worth five in the draft, and realistically you can only get one.


As it stands Lamar is a better athlete than Fields and hasn't made it past the divisional round - why would the Ravens think Fields could get them more?

 

Because Fields is a better passer would be the reasoning. He is a lesser athlete (compared to Lamar almost every NFL player is) but he can still do some of those things while offering higher upside as a passer. I don't think it will happen but it isn't mad. Lamar's contract negotiations will be fascinating. His regular season record is insanely good but his ceiling as a passer gives the team limitations. When he is costing more money where is the line? I genuinely don't know. 

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

 

Because Fields is a better passer would be the reasoning. He is a lesser athlete (compared to Lamar almost every NFL player is) but he can still do some of those things while offering higher upside as a passer. I don't think it will happen but it isn't mad. Lamar's contract negotiations will be fascinating. His regular season record is insanely good but his ceiling as a passer gives the team limitations. When he is costing more money where is the line? I genuinely don't know. 


It really hangs on the evaluation of Fields. The implied suggestion upthread was that the Ravens could run a similar offense with him, if they are utterly convinced that Fields is a better passer and a good enough athlete they would undoubtedly change their offense. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

 

They were in on Golladay too. Obviously he ended up elsewhere. I do think they will go WR with one of their two 1sts though. 

Theyre gunn have to draft one, cause no decent wrs are going to voluntarily sign up for a run happy offense, with a very limited passer

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, H2o said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/04/27/bucky-brooks-suggests-the-ravens-should-take-justin-fields-let-lamar-jackson-graduate/

 

But just a couple of weeks ago on Speak For Yourself (4:40 mark of the video) he was saying that Lamar was clearly the better young QB, not named Mahomes, over Josh.

 

If you are the Ravens, and you have the 2nd best QB in the AFC according to Brooks, then why are you even considering drafting a Justin Fields and letting Lamar Jackson "Graduate"? What if the QB you draft ends up being a bust or worse in general than the one you had? To me it just proves the guy is a clown even more so than I originally thought. 

Sorry, didn't see this thread first and created one. Bucky is a clown. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Fields can't move like Jackson.  It's a hot take, that's all.

 

How does Brooks say the Ravens move up to get Fields?

 

He doesn't.  But in theory, if Fields lasted to pick 8, they could give Carolina both of their firsts and a couple other picks.  This assumes that Carolina doesn't have a competing offer and doesn't mind moving down that far, both of which seem unlikely.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

 

They were in on Golladay too. Obviously he ended up elsewhere. I do think they will go WR with one of their two 1sts though. 

 

Well the thing is that if they want Fields they likely need to give up both first to do so.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...