McShay- Bills trying to move up above 23 for Etienne

24 minutes ago, ROCBillsBeliever said:

I'm sure a lot of Bills fans will wail and moan, weep and gnash their teeth.

Meanwhile, Beane will be cracking a smile and a cold one while he chuckles, knowing that ultimate player value is tied to positional value, and that--due to average length of career, cost of positional re-signing after rookie contract, and ability to find Kamara-esque RBs at Kamara-esque spots in the draft (3rd round)--an RB's positional value is low. The top positional values (based on post-rookie contracts) are QB (we are not taking one in the 1st), DE/Edge, and CB. Look at the price tags of 2nd contracts... Beane looks at contracts. 

Brieda lit the league on fire with San Fran, is more electric (and NFL proven) than ETN, and Beane signed him for something south of 3 mil (after the Fish were allergic to using him, for whatever reason).

Am I completely insane, or does nobody see any of this?

Or is everyone here trying to blow smoke FOR Beane? (I mean, that's cool if you all are, but it's a little weird)...

Okay, #endrant

(And not meaning to take it out on you, @PromoTheRobot; I made it 11 pages before melting down over all the RB in the 1st inanity. Straw that broke the camel's back, my friend.)

All RB’s aren’t the same.  

Brieda is a good back up RB in the league on his third team.  For a reason.  

if Beane did take Etienne he thinks of him as a more impactful player than what he has or what he can get later in the draft. 

the fact that this “rumor” has caught on with several national media people makes me doubt its Etienne they’re after though.  They went after Lev Bell when he was available.   Harris might be the one Beane wants.  

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

A trade up for a running back.... ugh. 

I do think Etienne is very much in play for Buffalo though. Beane pretty much told us he was last week.

He also told us he was trading up, trading back and taking someone at 30 as well...

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

What’s allbright talking about. He wasn’t right about the bills pick the last two years. 2020 he had epenesa to the pats at 23 and 2019 he had the Bills taking Christian Wilkins. 

See I really hate that. If you are in the draft business you will get more mock picks wrong than right and while you hope to get more talent evaluations right than wrong you will always have misses. Gotta own the misses as well as the hits.

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

See I really hate that. If you are in the draft business you will get more mock picks wrong than right and while you hope to get more talent evaluations right than wrong you will always have misses. Gotta own the misses as well as the hits.

Yeah I’m not bashing that he didn’t nail the picks but he’s out there crowing that he knew what the bills were doing the last five years and therefore how dare anyone question that he knows this year. A lot of hubris. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

35 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

What’s allbright talking about. He wasn’t right about the bills pick the last two years. 2020 he had epenesa to the pats at 23 and 2019 he had the Bills taking Christian Wilkins. 

Allbright stinks, but when he throws enough crap at the wall some of it sticks.  I think he has linked the Bills to about 35 different prospects - one is bound to be right.

He has not been accurate with anything Bills related and just talks a big game with nothing to back it up.

5 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

Allbright stinks, but when he throws enough crap at the wall some of it sticks.  I think he has linked the Bills to about 35 different prospects - one is bound to be right.

He has not been accurate with anything Bills related and just talks a big game with nothing to back it up.

He was right about Allen, and I give him credit for that, but if I recall that was not unique, many folks pegged that one and wasn’t exactly going out on a limb 

13 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Todds, Ranked:

1. Todd the neighbor from Christmas Vacation

2. Willis (Todd Bridges)

3. Todd packer from The Office

4. Todd Chrisley (Chrisley knows Best)

5. Todd the son from Wedding Crashers 

good list, but wedding crashers todd continues to be woefully underrated.  advanced metrics show that his unique painting skills should have him no lower than 3rd on your list, and i'd argue he's top 2.

5 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

He was right about Allen, and I give him credit for that, but if I recall that was not unique, many folks pegged that one and wasn’t exactly going out on a limb 

I was right about Shaq..... and I said in 2019 I thought if Oliver was there he would be the pick (and had him as the pick in version 1) but ended up changing it in my final version. In 2018 my final mock said "the Bills will pick one of the two Joshes" but then I went for right Josh over wrong Josh which has ended up being wrong Josh over right Josh. If you follow me 😛.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Again, the five guys they expect to start this year on the OL played not one single snap together last year. There really is a very legit reason to blame things mostly on the OL and yet to re-sign the guys they re-signed.

Agreed....and if my point inferred otherwise, then that was my mistake. I'm not insinuating I was making the same point, but more that Offensive Line - a more specifically the players individually - might not have been as big an issue for the running game as some of us initially believed. If the report is true, actions speak louder than words and Beane's actions are indicating he wants a RB that is a difference maker. And you can count me among the Moss believers as well.

11 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

That's like saying you can't draft the next Tom Brady in the 1st because the original Tom Brady went in the 6th round.

And I wasn't indicating the Bills' shouldn't Draft Etienne or anyone else for that matter. I'm fully on board with whomever Beane Drafts because as I've stated in other places since his first full year in Buffalo, I trust Beane, his FO AND McD to make good player decisions beginning with the Draft. If I gave you any other impression, then that was my miscommunication. 

6 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

We lack talent at RB. Also Zach Moss suffered a serious injury before proving he can handle the load. Brieda isn't anything more than a reserve RB with speed. SF has a great system for RB'S. Hard to feel confident he can recreate that success here. 

I'd agree that we lack elite talent at RB, but the stable of Singletary, Moss, and Brieda gives you a solid swiss army knife, while allowing you to have fresh legs later in games. It's the stable of backs that New England employed for decades, and if it was good enough for them to demolish the NFL for 20 years, then I have a feeling that approach to building an RB room may not be fool's gold.

Moss injury:

Kyle Trimble (An actual Doctor of Physical Therapy, and not just an message board cred-seeker or like-collector - https://bangedupbills.com/about/), from Banged Up Bills, reported that just after the injury, Moss was considering undergoing Tightrope Surgery (https://bangedupbills.com/tag/zack-moss/), one known to accelerate the recovery process. If you're interested in the science, this surgery explained the surgery and outlined in the decidedly non-sportfan-tinged Northwell Health article linked, below:

https://www.northwell.edu/orthopaedic-institute/news/tightrope-surgery-accelerates-recovery-from-high-ankle-sprains

Prior to the surgery, Trimble explained that: "If he does receive this procedure, there is a chance that he could rehabilitate quicker, but this won’t be known unless it is reported."

Moss himself reported the surgery was a success, and he was up and walking in a boot, back on March 8th (on his Instagram):

https://www.instagram.com/p/CMLcu2osEcP/

The Buffalo News reported the surgery was successful, as well:

https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/bills-running-back-zack-moss-undergoes-ankle-surgery/article_36c66d1e-5aa8-11eb-8011-1fdc793619a2.html

"Zach Moss had minor surgery on his injured left ankle Tuesday".

And, even at the time of the injury, it was reported that Moss avoided a "major injury" (per his agent; from the Buffalo News article): 

"At the time, his agent, Jamal Tooson, said Moss had avoided "major injury." Moss is expected to make a full recovery and be ready for offseason workouts."

To Brieda, yeah: we needed speed, and if you're denying he's fast, well... Not sure what to say. Proof is in the pudding. The guy has broken 22 mph on the field, and he isn't here to be a bellcow.

I agree: SF has a great system for RB's, and it's better than ours. When you have an-oft broken Jimmy G flippin' pancackes to RB's, instead of The Firebaugh Kid cannoning missiles all over kingdom come, you might NEED that kind of an RB system to win. That's not our team construction, thanks to the QB we have, so recreating San Fran's RB stable is not our modus operandi. 

Next clay pidgeon?

45 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Yeah I’m not bashing that he didn’t nail the picks but he’s out there crowing that he knew what the bills were doing the last five years and therefore how dare anyone question that he knows this year. A lot of hubris. 

So 'Twatter' caught someone in a lie? What a shock. 😉

If it didn't come from that 'fountain of knowledge', Todd McShart, I'm not buying it. :devil:

trading up for etn or some rb is worth it if the guy is some kind of electric gets off the bus breaking ankles talent.  i really don't know if that's the case or not.

if we bundle te/wr/rb into "playmakers" then if the top of the prior two positions are gone at pick 30, it does make sense for us to take the best playmaker on the board, be he RB or owthersie.

the next thing, and this is where i wonder if beane gets too fixated on one guy and misses this sometimes, is the relative value of who is left.  if you see a starting solid cb2 at 30, even tho he's the 3rd or 4th guy at his position being drafted, and the fall off is big after him, and like rb 5 is close to rb 3 or whatever in the draft, then obv you jump all over the cb.  

it wouldn't shock me if they think the 4th-8th edge and cb are close together, but the top rb or top 2 rb are head and shoulders above and they grab one of them.

i agree with what was said here earlier, if they actually trade up for an rb he basically has to be a lights out game changer that is gonna put us over the top.  kinda big ask.

12 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Ford has a lot to prove. Even when healthy last season he was pretty meh inside, so I'm not sure why getting him back healthy is "pretty big".... not even sure he's a starter next season. 

Fair enough. You can't be sure. 10 - 20% chance he doesn't start.

But it's by far the most likely thing.

And yeah he was pretty meh inside. He spent the whole year before at tackle. Then the year they want to move him inside, there's no real off-season, and then beyond that in week two he gets switched from left to right guard, which is a massively difficult thing to do, more difficult than going tackle to guard. If he hadn't gotten injured, late in the year it would have been pretty reasonable to start expecting him to really start to look at home.

Under the circumstances, though, it made no sense. It was a terrible situation. You're right, it's no sure thing, but he's likelier than not to make some major steps upwards.

6 hours ago, purple haze said:

All RB’s aren’t the same.  

Brieda is a good back up RB in the league on his third team.  For a reason.  

if Beane did take Etienne he thinks of him as a more impactful player than what he has or what he can get later in the draft. 

the fact that this “rumor” has caught on with several national media people makes me doubt its Etienne they’re after though.  They went after Lev Bell when he was available.   Harris might be the one Beane wants.  

True, and true to the first two points, but I'm not concerned that Beane, McDermott, or Daboll envision Brieda as anything more than a change-of-pace backup. I don't think we would have got him on the bargain-basement contract we landed him on, if Brieda, his agent, or the NFL thought otherwise.

Yeah, I'd agree, but I also think Beane understands and incorporates long-term value into impact. An impact player for 5 years, that you replace after that doesn't jive with the roster-building that Beane has tended to show with his tendencies in early-round picks. Look at the length of leash Knox and Singletary have had. Think about how Dawkins had that rough, rough 2nd year (we all forget that, and granted, it was because there were steaming piles of decaying poo on our line, around him, that year). Even Zay hung around well past his welcome. I've witnessed Beane giving players a chance, and hoping for a long-term stay in Buffalo, especially with our earlier picks. 

Possibly, but rumors this time of year always make me skeptical. We'll see. 

• Agree 1

26 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Totally agree - it also was the way the board looked.  He talked about the Bills liking Allen and Darnold and that was correct, but many people started to connect those dots once the Jets moved to 3.

He did not throw the Rosen or Jackson model up there - he was adamant that it was Allen - but then he also pushed the Antonio Brown trade as done when it wasn’t and he ended up wrong about that also.

One other thing: let's not forget where both McD and Beane came from....Carolina. Where they had 2 very good, very productive RBs in Stewart and Williams. They used one as their primary but the other got quite a number of touches and was a different type of back. They were successful utilizing that type of personnel and they had Cam. Josh is already a far better QB, but having two backs that complement each other is not a bad thing when based on previous Drafts and FA, the FO has done well to add depth at nearly every other position, including the most difficult one: QB. JMO