McShay- Bills trying to move up above 23 for Etienne

2 hours ago, appoo said:

Not at all. You don't draft a RB in the rd thinking he's gonna be pro-bowl back - you do it because you think that RB is gonna be a good complement to the game plan, rather than a focal point.

Moss and Singletary - with better blocking - would have perfectly fulfilled that role.

You draft a RB in the 1st round because you view that guy as someone who's going to be one of your top 2 weapons to use in your game plan.

That's why drafting ETN is legit. The Bills, for all their fireworks, don't have a great #2 weapon right now. Emmanuel Sanders is a risk because of age, while Gabe Davis is a risk because you're not sure what you'll get with him in year 2, while neither RB - as noted above - is there to be a real weapon.

I'm not sure about trading up to get a RB as a position in general, but I do agree with trading up to grab a legit weapon. Whether that be ETN (because of his ability to change the game as a pass catcher) or that kid from Florida or perhaps even Rashod Bateman.

You could also see a corner if you see Farley or Newsom sitting there. Not gonna trade up for these edge defenders

Fantastic point.  We have a stud QB, good OL, an elite WR1 and then some really good complimentary WR’s in Beasley, Davis and Sanders.... Etienne immediately becomes that secondary weapon ... and he’s a weapon in the run and passing game.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

People:  don’t believe anything you hear this time of year

same people:  omg McShay said we trading up for a running back what a bad move i can’t believe Beane

McShay is the worst ever btw 

3 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

McShay is the worst ever btw 

I agree that McShay is unreliable. His word is worth nothing to me.

Benjamin Allbright, on the other hand, has proven to be right about Bills draft preferences for several years running now. 

He has stuck to his "RB in the 1st" guns this year the same way he stuck to his "the Bills love Allen, he's their guy" guns for months back in 2018. Bills fans talk a bunch of crap to him because they don't want it to be true (just like when he knew they liked Allen), but he doesn't change his tune. 

He could be wrong about where the Bills are looking in the 1st round, but as he pointed out, it would be the first time in a while.

I'm not exactly sure why it's so hard for many fans to believe that the Bills wouldn't trade up for a home run hitting running back like Etienne when their GM has said the following things this offseason: "we'd take a guy if he had something that our current RBs don't offer" and "our current RB room lacks that home run hitter", and when said GM tried to trade up for a running back just last year (Moss), and when said GM has a history of trading up for guys he covets. It's no slam dunk lock that it's going to happen, but the "ZERO CHANCE!!!!" people make me chuckle.

I look at Etienne as a CJ Spiller-type and not because he also went to Clemson.  In the NFL, he’s likely going to be that scatback that Buddy Nix envisioned for Spiller.  Spiller was a bad pick then because of the state of the team.  He should’ve been used liked Darren Sproles, with 50-60 receptions at least.  His high with the Bills was 43.

This Bills team is in a better position to make a pick of Etienne, but at 30, not trading other draft capital to move up for him.

I love what Brandon Beane has done overall but it seems he gets too emotional about some players, resulting in trade-ups. The videos of the draft room from 2 years ago are a perfect example.  He couldn’t be patient to see if Cody Ford would still be there for their pick so he had to trade up to get him.  Then he did the same thing with Knox in the 4th round.  He also seemed to be enamored with film clips of Devin Singletary, stating he was amazed at some of his moves.

Well, it’s been only 2 years but I’d.say all 3 of those players have not yet met expectations.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

We don't want the Bills to draft Etienne but what will we be saying if the Pats, Fins or Jets get him?

One more quality player at another position would slide down the draft board.

4 minutes ago, ColeB said:

I look at Etienne as a CJ Spiller-type and not because he also went to Clemson.  In the NFL, he’s likely going to be that scatback that Buddy Nix envisioned for Spiller.  Spiller was a bad pick then because of the state of the team.  He should’ve been used liked Darren Sproles, with 50-60 receptions at least.  His high with the Bills was 43.

This Bills team is in a better position to make a pick of Etienne, but at 30, not trading other draft capital to move up for him.

I love what Brandon Beane has done overall but it seems he gets too emotional about some players, resulting in trade-ups. The videos of the draft room from 2 years ago are a perfect example.  He couldn’t be patient to see if Cody Ford would still be there for their pick so he had to trade up to get him.  Then he did the same thing with Knox in the 4th round.  He also seemed to be enamored with film clips of Devin Singletary, stating he was amazed at some of his moves.

Well, it’s been only 2 years but I’d.say all 3 of those players have not yet met expectations.

Cody Ford only played one year and last year he wasn't bad a guard then he got hurt. He has moved all over the line trying to find his spot. Its hard enough for a rookie in the NFL to learn one position not 3. I can see him settling in at guard this year and concentrating on one position and really helping. As for Knox he was a High School QB and recruited to Ole Miss as a QB and converted to TE during college. Not an easy task. Plus I think this is the year he will shine. If you look most receivers don't break out until year 3 in the NFL....I said most. So as a receiving TE he will improve as an overall TE maybe another year or so. I just want the receiving part to come alive. And Singletary is nothing special. He was a great surprise his first year in the league but now teams know who he is and aren't scared. He is who he is. So I would give the first two a break. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

We don't want the Bills to draft Etienne but what will we be saying if the Pats, Fins or Jets get him?

If they do it with their 1st rd pick or move up - I will laugh and laugh at their wasted picks.

Just as if we move up - I would be ticked.  No value at all to that position.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Lol....if they don’t want Allen taking all the hits, then why did they waste two 3rd rounders on the position the past two years? 

Maybe a smoke screen for offensive lineman, because that’s where a lot of the issues remained last season with the run game. 

Moss is better than I suspect you think he is. He player well late last season, averaging 4.85 ypc in the final 6 games and passing the eyeball test to boot. Hardly a "waste."

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

If they do it with their 1st rd pick or move up - I will laugh and laugh at their wasted picks.

Just as if we move up - I would be ticked.  No value at all to that position.

If Etienne is Alvin Kamara, he’s worth it.   If he’s simply an upgrade at RB, no thanks. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, dorquemada said:

I trust Beane on this.  My gut says they need a dynamic playmaker more than anything, and because of the rest of the offseason moves have the room for a bit of a luxury pick.  I like Moss & Singletary but neither of them are game breakers, and neither one is keeping DCs up at night.  Etienne & Harris are. 

The play maker could be one of those top WRs too

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, BillsCuse said:

Nothing like draft week where every "rumor" you hear in complete nonsense.  All I got from this is that we are definitely not trading up for Etienne!

Would we even take him if he was on the board at 30 ?

6 hours ago, dorquemada said:

I trust Beane on this.  My gut says they need a dynamic playmaker more than anything, and because of the rest of the offseason moves have the room for a bit of a luxury pick.  I like Moss & Singletary but neither of them are game breakers, and neither one is keeping DCs up at night.  Etienne & Harris are. 

I think Harris and Williams are the top 2 RB’s in the draft.  I think one is there at 30 so I don’t get trading up for a RB.  DE, which is thin beyond the top 2 makes the most logic.  

54 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Lol....if they don’t want Allen taking all the hits, then why did they waste two 3rd rounders on the position the past two years? 

Maybe a smoke screen for offensive lineman, because that’s where a lot of the issues remained last season with the run game. 

thats why Etitene makes no sense.  Not as good a pass catcher or blocker as Harris or Williams, IMO. 

3 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

What a waste of a first round pick this would be... if you want to add another playmaker on offense, go WR not a RB. 

Crossing my fingers this isn't true. 

Any WR they add in round 1 would almost certainly end the year with less touches and yards than Etienne would have. Why are we so stuck on the fact that he's an RB? If he is a weapon in the run and pass game why does it really matter?

• Like (+1) 1