McShay- Bills trying to move up above 23 for Etienne

3 hours ago, Reed83HOF said:

I was looking at Etienne upfront when I first started looking at the draft. Once we got through FA and looked at player rankings, holes on the team, some tape I came back to CB and edge being bigger needs...

Right now, at this exact moment, all I can think of is Singletary dropping that wide open pass...

It was very Harmon-esque.  The moment each play happened.....each game ended. Makes me ill.  I really want to be happy with Motor...I just can’t be.  

• Agree 1

37 minutes ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

Just trade Singletary that should move them right up the board if you believe some here. :lol:

How much would a slightly less used first rounder Clyde Edwards Helaire yield in trade?   A pick about where Moss was selected in round 3 maybe?   Nah, with one year expired on his relative high priced rookie salary probably not even that.

RB's lose a ton of value the minute you drive them off the lot.......even if they play well.   Christian McCaffrey is a superstar and his value + 3 more future #1's might get you back up to the spot where he was drafted. :lol:

Generally speaking some people need to understand that things are spoken in general terms.  Generally speaking RBs aren’t worth a first round pick.  

Never say never.....or always.  

I have no idea whether Etienne is worth pick 30.....or even trading up.  What I do know is that if he is a great pick at 33, he is not magically a horrible pick at 30.   If he turns into Walter Payton, he’d be a great pick at 1. 

I’m pretty confident Beane didn’t confide his plans to McShay, but it’s not impossible that the blind squirrel found a nut.

I think that the Bills are in an interesting position.  There are a few players that I’d love to see drop.  There aren’t many I’d love to trade up for, unless the price is somehow cheap.  If they do, they do.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

New England traded its first-round (No. 23) draft pick to Los Angeles for the Chargers’ second- (No. 37) and third-round (No. 71) picks. L.A. Chargers selected Kenneth Murray, lb, Oklahoma. New England selected Kyle Dugger, s, Lenoir-Rhyne

This is last year haul for 23. I'm hoping 30 and 91 is all they give to move up for a RB. 

5 hours ago, Logic said:

I don't know about McShay, but I DO trust Benjamin Allbright's credibility when it comes to his league connections and Bills predictions. 

It was actually one month ago, but still. The original Tweet:

If they "don't want Allen taking all of the hits that he does", they have the power to change some of that by having their OC call fewer designed QB runs.

5 hours ago, SirAndrew said:

Etienne would be a strange pick, because it means Beane admitting he failed on two running back selections. I understand the need for a dynamic playmaker, but they could have went for speed, instead they went with Moss and Singletary. 

If they stay at 30 and draft Etienne, I wouldn't be thrilled but I could understand it to some extent; however, trading up for him would be asinine and irresponsible, probably costing them at least their Round 3 pick (#93). In doing so, they would have used three 3rd Round picks and a 1st Round pick on three different RBs in a three year span. That is not the proper way to build a roster "for the long term". It's a recipe for disaster. If they want to add a speed element to the backfield, there are cheaper options later in the draft including Gainwell, Jefferson, and Hawkins not to mention that they have added Breida who can also catch. If they go up into the 19-24 range. it better be to get a CB like Newsome or Farley, an Edge like Paye, a WR like Bateman, or a unicorn like Owusu-Koramoah. Otherwise, stay put and let the draft (or Etienne) come to you.

• Like (+1) 5

7 hours ago, FFadpecr said:

Smart. Trading up for ETN is the best possible move for the Bills.

I doubt he gets past the Jets at 23, so gotta trade up to 22 or higher.

This is the move to make. No doubt.

There is plenty of doubt...seems costly for a RB that already has mileage 

Todd McShay, on Ryen Russilo’s podcast, says he’s hearing the Bills are trying to move ahead of the Jets (25) and Jaguars (23) to draft Clemson RB Travis Etienne Click for audio sent to me by and h/t to @pordyngus.

tenor.gif

Edited by Special K

7 hours ago, FFadpecr said:

Smart. Trading up for ETN is the best possible move for the Bills.

I doubt he gets past the Jets at 23, so gotta trade up to 22 or higher.

This is the move to make. No doubt.

Or maybe the Bills are trying to get the Jets to panic and trade up for Etienne? Does Beane have a poker face? Is he bluffing? 

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Or maybe the Bills are trying to get the Jets to panic and trade up for Etienne? Does Beane have a poker face? Is he bluffing? 

I just don’t see much reason to bluff to get another guy to fall unless it’s someone that they really feel will go right before 30 or right before where we could trade up to. 

2 minutes ago, The Governor said:

I just don’t see much reason to bluff to get another guy to fall unless it’s someone that they really feel will go right before 30 or right before where we could trade up to. 

Remember, we are playing checkers while Beane plays 3D chess. 

Do NOT underestimate the Beane! 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, The Governor said:

Teams bluff all the time in the draft. Motive unknown. I would do it just to mess with the Jets. Then laugh when they trade up thinking some team is trying to steal their guy. 

One of our better drafts in 2012 Buddy Nix said before the 2nd round that Jonathan Martin was the best player not selected in the 1st. When the Bills pick came in the 2nd Martin was still there. The Bills took Cordy Glenn. 

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

3 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

We don't want the Bills to draft Etienne but what will we be saying if the Pats, Fins or Jets get him?

I'm sure a lot of Bills fans will wail and moan, weep and gnash their teeth.

Meanwhile, Beane will be cracking a smile and a cold one while he chuckles, knowing that ultimate player value is tied to positional value, and that--due to average length of career, cost of positional re-signing after rookie contract, and ability to find Kamara-esque RBs at Kamara-esque spots in the draft (3rd round)--an RB's positional value is low. The top positional values (based on post-rookie contracts) are QB (we are not taking one in the 1st), DE/Edge, and CB. Look at the price tags of 2nd contracts... Beane looks at contracts. 

Brieda lit the league on fire with San Fran, is more electric (and NFL proven) than ETN, and Beane signed him for something south of 3 mil (after the Fish were allergic to using him, for whatever reason).

Am I completely insane, or does nobody see any of this?

Or is everyone here trying to blow smoke FOR Beane? (I mean, that's cool if you all are, but it's a little weird)...

Okay, #endrant

(And not meaning to take it out on you, @PromoTheRobot; I made it 11 pages before melting down over all the RB in the 1st inanity. Straw that broke the camel's back, my friend.)

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, ROCBillsBeliever said:

I'm sure a lot of Bills fans will wail and moan, weep and gnash their teeth.

Meanwhile, Beane will be cracking a smile and a cold one while he chuckles, knowing that ultimate player value is tied to positional value, and that--due to average length of career, cost of positional re-signing after rookie contract, and ability to find Kamara-esque RBs at Kamara-esque spots in the draft (3rd round)--an RB's positional value is low. The top positional values (based on post-rookie contracts) are QB (we are not taking one in the 1st), DE/Edge, and CB. Look at the price tags of 2nd contracts... Beane looks at contracts. 

Brieda lit the league on fire with San Fran, is more electric (and NFL proven) than ETN, and Beane signed him for something south of 3 mil (after the Fish were allergic to using him, for whatever reason).

Am I completely insane, or does nobody see any of this?

Or is everyone here trying to blow smoke FOR Beane? (I mean, that's cool if you all are, but it's a little weird)...

Okay, #endrant

(And not meaning to take it out on you, @PromoTheRobot; I made it 11 pages before melting down over all the RB in the 1st inanity. Straw that broke the camel's back, my friend.)

We lack talent at RB. Also Zach Moss suffered a serious injury before proving he can handle the load. Brieda isn't anything more than a reserve RB with speed. SF has a great system for RB'S. Hard to feel confident he can recreate that success here. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Any WR they add in round 1 would almost certainly end the year with less touches and yards than Etienne would have. Why are we so stuck on the fact that he's an RB? If he is a weapon in the run and pass game why does it really matter?

Because Etienne most certainly IS just a RB.    Even if he became a great receiving RB he would average just around 8 yards per reception.......far from comparable to a good receiver.     A playmaking receiver will give you 12-18 yards per reception in the passing game.    The equivalent argument would be handing the ball off to Cole Beasley 70 times per year and him producing 3.2 yards per carry and calling him a weapon in the run game.